Identify, if you can!

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this neat little coral about 2 months ago. I was told that it was a “finger leather”, but I really don’t believe this is true. When I first got it in my QT it opened up and was a beautiful blackish- purplish- peachy color with a main stem and branch pattern. After 2 weeks in QT I put it in the display and it has NOT be happy since. I think the main difference is the light, the QT has a cheap light that doesn’t really do much other then replicate ‘okay, it’s 9am! You should have light now!’ ‘Okay is 8 PM, goodnight!’. I’ve tried a couple places around the display and this seems to be the place where it’s opened up the most so I stuck him there.

NOOOOO idea what it is, any help???

It’s attached on a small piece of rock that I epoxied (sloppily at the moment) to a rock in the DT. The base of the coral has this fibrous coating on the outside, it feels similar to hay or staw but very small, it acts kind of like a flexible bark. The rest of the coral is soft and does feel like a leather coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seth Francis

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the images didn’t want to attach to the post
162B5347-32C9-4DCB-9FC0-BDEF57DCD4C9.jpeg
AFD67305-4078-4F5E-85EC-2C81B3440F71.jpeg
B1D69768-16B6-42E6-A246-3E640BEB2063.jpeg
So I picked up this neat little coral about 2 months ago. I was told that it was a “finger leather”, but I really don’t believe this is true. When I first got it in my QT it opened up and was a beautiful blackish- purplish- peachy color with a main stem and branch pattern. After 2 weeks in QT I put it in the display and it has NOT be happy since. I think the main difference is the light, the QT has a cheap light that doesn’t really do much other then replicate ‘okay, it’s 9am! You should have light now!’ ‘Okay is 8 PM, goodnight!’. I’ve tried a couple places around the display and this seems to be the place where it’s opened up the most so I stuck him there.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever it is, it looks dead. Are those white worms moving around? They could be eating it.. I would get it out of your tank.

OP
OP
Seth Francis

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B919FAA5-5AD4-4FA2-A9B6-955A3435B007.jpeg
Whatever it is, it looks dead. Are those white worms moving around? They could be eating it.. I would get it out of your tank.
They’re not worms, they don’t move. It’s something attached to the coral and it’s not dead, It still responds to touch.

OP
OP
Seth Francis

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are exposed sclerites (soft coral skeleton) from the tissue receding. It's in really bad shape; probably too far gone to heal, unfortunatley...

Thank you! I haven’t been able to find out anything about what that was!
I know its not in good shape at all. I’m not sure what did it in, I use water out of my DT for my QT so there shouldn’t have been a parameter change. The only difference is the light and amount of water flow.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to take a guess, I would say that it’s some type of leather or to be exact a Kenya tree. It still might come back, because they are very hardy. The problem is your tank looks brand new, judging by the rock behind the coral. So you might want to check your parameters, and make sure everything is in order.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I haven’t been able to find out anything about what that was!
I know its not in good shape at all. I’m not sure what did it in, I use water out of my DT for my QT so there shouldn’t have been a parameter change. The only difference is the light and amount of water flow.

I'm honestly wondering if it was a non-photosynthetic coral. It's hard to tell at this point, but the colors you described weren't typical of a leather coral. Google "dendronepthea" and see if you spot anything that looks like the coral when you got it...

OP
OP
Seth Francis

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm honestly wondering if it was a non-photosynthetic coral. It's hard to tell at this point, but the colors you described weren't typical of a leather coral. Google "dendronepthea" and see if you spot anything that looks like the coral when you got it...

Yes! The first image that came up was VERY similar to the colors of this

OP
OP
Seth Francis

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to take a guess, I would say that it’s some type of leather or to be exact a Kenya tree. It still might come back, because they are very hardy. The problem is your tank looks brand new, judging by the rock behind the coral. So you might want to check your parameters, and make sure everything is in order.
Nah, my parameters are all in check. I rescaped and did an upgrade to the sump size and did a massive water change in the process. After that it triggered some a small diatom outbreak again, it’s all under control though. Parameters are all close to ideal

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really unfortunate dendronepthea is considered impossible to keep alive by all but literally a handful of people. I have only heard of 1 or 2 people keeping them alive. It’s believed need constant food in order to live, and enough food for that would foul your water super quickly.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a gorgonian? I have had a few that the area in which it rubs against something or near the fragging site, the tissue necrosis looks just like that.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of dead branching leather or soft coral, maybe Sinularia or Dendronephthya.

OP
OP
Seth Francis

Seth Francis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really unfortunate dendronepthea is considered impossible to keep alive by all but literally a handful of people. I have only heard of 1 or 2 people keeping them alive. It’s believed need constant food in order to live, and enough food for that would foul your water super quickly.
Oh okay, thanks for the info! I appreciate it!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s attached on a small piece of rock that I epoxied (sloppily at the moment) to a rock in the DT. The base of the coral has this fibrous coating on the outside, it feels similar to hay or staw but very small, it acts kind of like a flexible bark. The rest of the coral is soft and does feel like a leather coral.

Does it come out of a pod like a sun coral. I am wanting to buy one marked dendronepthea after that it says dendro. I think its a dendrophyllia. They are like suncorals and pop out of a tube looking casing. That what the pic online show from unique coarls and Ihave a giftcard and want to order, they are closed today and nothing lasts long ontheier site. It has 3 pods for 60 buckx. I iwsh iy were open iin the pic but do these corals pop out of small pods?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they look like sun corals when opened

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back