Identifying Potential Parasite on Powder Blue Tang

mynameisnick4

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 26, 2019
Messages
28
Reaction score
13
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out what this is on my powder blue tang. His behavior is normal, eating like a pig, so it doesn't seem to bother him. I want to find out if this is anything I need to take action on.
20191010_205024.jpg
20191010_205044.jpg
20191010_205050.jpg
20191010_205057.jpg
 
How long have you had this fish? New tank? Was this on him/her since you obtained him? Is it getting larger?

Shelley
 
How long have you had this fish? New tank? Was this on him/her since you obtained him? Is it getting larger?

Shelley
The tank is nearly 3 months old (upgrade over a nano, brought over cycled media) and this tang has been in there for 1 month. It was not on him when I got him. Going back to the pictures I have, it wasn't there on 9/16 but there on 9/28. I do think it has gotten bigger but it is hard to say by how much since I see him everyday. Here are some pics from 9/16.
20190928_170551.jpg
20190928_170552.jpg
 
Last edited:
it almost looks like a piece of chipped off live rock never seen that before
 
It does appear larger. Maybe lymphocytes?
 
its not a fluke? think its really common for them to get flukes which look similair to that but never seen one that big, if it is the remedy is a easy freshwater dip 3 min matched temp and pH. but wait for pro to confirm @ReefSquad
 
its not a fluke? think its really common for them to get flukes which look similair to that but never seen one that big, if it is the remedy is a easy freshwater dip 3 min matched temp and pH. but wait for pro to confirm @ReefSquad
I was thinking about trying the freshwater dip but I didn't want to stress him out with netting him and doing the dip if it wasn't necessary.
 
Okay I'd keep an eye on it. Keep water quality really clean and nutrition high. Did you read the thread?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new