Idiot proof ideas please

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting really tired of the heartbreak and the death. Last outbreak has left me w 2 fish and a half dead one. Running FOWLR. So, new plan:

Hotrocks’ Qt protocol
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Ammonia badges
Weekly water changes of 10%
Weekly parameter checks
Needless to say: proper nutrition, suitable tank mates, suitable number of fish ....

What else would you do? Ive heard arguments for and against UV and am not sure where I stand. Do t have UV currently

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting really tired of the heartbreak and the death. Last outbreak has left me w 2 fish and a half dead one. Running FOWLR. So, new plan:

Hotrocks’ Qt protocol
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-current-qt-process.483371/

Ammonia badges
Weekly water changes of 10%
Weekly parameter checks
Needless to say: proper nutrition, suitable tank mates, suitable number of fish ....

What else would you do? Ive heard arguments for and against UV and am not sure where I stand. Do t have UV currently

With the QT protocol you’re adopting I don’t think you’ll need a UV to control disease. If you QT everything then you’ll have a disease free system.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to agree. There's no need for a UV if you follow the QT protocol. UV sterilizers will keep the amount of pathogens down, but it cannot completely eliminate them. The only thing I would add is to QT the survivors and follow the appropriate fallow period for the DT. If you had a disease run through the tank it is likely still there unless you nuked the tank. I'm not a disease expert so I'll let them chime in depending on what exactly you had run through the system.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to agree. There's no need for a UV if you follow the QT protocol. UV sterilizers will keep the amount of pathogens down, but it cannot completely eliminate them. The only thing I would add is to QT the survivors and follow the appropriate fallow period for the DT. If you had a disease run through the tank it is likely still there unless you nuked the tank. I'm not a disease expert so I'll let them chime in depending on what exactly you had run through the system.

Running Dt fallow for min 76 days even though protocol for velvet says 6 weeks. Just in case it was ich and not Velvet. 76 days will take care of ich. Wish me luck

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.1%
Back