Idol wants to kill my copperband?

  • Thread starter Thread starter unklez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

unklez

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2020
Messages
106
Reaction score
49
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I added a Idol to my tank, copperband has been in my tank for 5 months.
Since these last 2 days the Idol is getting agressive with feeding time doesn't want anyone to eat the mussel. Also saw some little agression outside of feeding time.

I'm afraid the copperband will die out of stress or an Idol attack. Any tips?
 
Feeding the Idol mussel and the copperband masstick now seems to go well. Idol even scared my 2 clownfish into an anemone they didnt host for a year lol.
 
Agree. Multiple feeding station is method to routinely decrease aggression. Instead of just split the shellfish i use a knife to cut it so each shell have meat attach to it and drop it on opposite end of the tank.
I use two or three clips of nori. When I dump food into the tank I dumped it right at the PH and the food dispersed everywhere. The automated feeder dumps food right at the PH and the food gets dispersed everywhere too. Feeding this way, everybody got plenty of food. My PBT, King Joe II, can't keep the angels and the Yellow and Purple tangs from eating.
 
After having the Idol longer in my tank it doesnt seem he wants to kill anyone but rather secure all the food\mussels in the tank for himself by making agressive moves around the fish. I now put 2 mussels on each side of the tank but there is still some agression from the Idol as he swims to the other side aswell and continues to scare the copperband and other smaller fish. Guess they just have to live with it.

I may rehome the copperband but its so healthy and fat i dont wanna lose it.
 
I feed LRS - which I take (still frozen ) - and hold with my hand in the tank - so that the food chunks/pieces float around - that way everyone gets some - an there is no fighting. If the cpperband looks good - I would let them be. Its my opinion that the 'stress' occurs more when there is constant chasing - not an occasional blip - of course like you said - you do need to make sure everything is fed. My copper band when first in the tank - was chased by a tang for 2-3 weeks - and I had the same thought - someone was going to have to go - but now they are fine.
 
yeah i'd try to hand feed the cbb. mine is in with a bunch of smaller fish, but the cbb just doesn't seem comfortable to get in there and battle it out for feed despite the smaller fish, so i try to hand feed a bit of LRS once a day now

although now i have a heniochus and it is more than ok eating from my hand too. and my kamohara blenny rolls up too which makes me a bit nervous, not trying to get bit by a fang blenny lol
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new