if I use live rock will I still have to cycle my tank

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say you’re supposed to wait 6 months or something like that to get corals, so that way you rock and filter get established. So I’m wondering if I just buy a whole bunch of live rock that’s already been cycled will I still have to wait?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you get it from places that are straight from the ocean can there be bad things in it it like pest and parasites?
In theory both, yes.

I don't know I've Ever heard of someone bringing in things like ick or velvet.

Aptasia, mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp,Eunice worms more more prevalent.

PXL_20220322_184208732.jpg
PXL_20220325_172116661.jpg

Upvote 1

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On tbs’s website it says not to put the rock in a tank that’s not cycled, is this true?
We recommend ordering base rock and live sand for new tanks that have not cycled. Base rock does not have large sponges/tunicates/corals/delicate hitchhikers on the exterior.

Our premium rock will do best in a cycled/mature/stable environment due to the lifeforms on the exterior.

Upvote 1

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really should wait until things settle down like phosphate and nitrate, those swing like crazy when first starting out even with fully cured live rock. Also allows you too fine tune your tank without nuking your corals/live stock

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offence but do you have any clue how to run a fish tank asking because when i 1st started in early 2020 i bought some coral with real live rock and they still died cause i have no clue what to do to keep them alive

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really should wait until things settle down like phosphate and nitrate, those swing like crazy when first starting out even with fully cured live rock. Also allows you too fine tune your tank without nuking your corals/live stock
I’m still going to cycle my tank and everything before I get any fish or corals but I’m just wondering if get live rock will I have to wait for my tank to establish. Like in my old tank I just used dry rock and I had to wait until the dry rock established before I could add any corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offence but do you have any clue how to run a fish tank asking because when i 1st started in early 2020 i bought some coral with real live rock and they still died cause i have no clue what to do to keep them alive
Of course, I’ve already had a tank for 2 years but the whole tank just recently died off so I’m just going to restart in another tank bigger tank

Upvote 0

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, I’ve already had a tank for 2 years but the whole tank just recently died off so I’m just going to restart in another tank bigger tank
See if u get any die off with the live rock wait like 1 week then full steam ahead then

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the tank is cycled is 1 fish every 1-2 weeks ok?
What size tank and how much rock are you thinking?

With long cycled live rock, you should (in theory) have the entire bioload availability up front. The "cycle" is to establish your bacterial colony which with live rock, is already there.

I would have no problem bringing in ocean live rock, giving it a week to settle and the water to clear, and putting half+ of my expected fish in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and how much rock are you thinking?

With long cycled live rock, you should (in theory) have the entire bioload availability up front. The "cycle" is to establish your bacterial colony which with live rock, is already there.

I would have no problem bringing in ocean live rock, giving it a week to settle and the water to clear, and putting half+ of my expected fish in.
It’s a 55 gallon and I’m planning on adding 30-40 pounds of live rock.

Upvote 0

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the tank is cycled is 1 fish every 1-2 weeks ok?
I would do 4 week minimum but as stated above it depends on the tank size and the size of the fish.

I would just take it slow, meaning give up the particular timeframe mentality, things change let's say you see something on a fish. Then you don't want to add the next before you know what it is and if it will affect the new fish as well.

If all goes well then sure add one more, but don't feel in a hurry to do things. After all the tanks will be up for a long time (at least I should hope)

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its Live rock out of the ocean with coralline algae all over you could probs add as many fish as you want tbh
No - there will be die off and spikes in ammonia and nitrate.

The new rock needs to come to a biological equilibrium in its new home, esp if that new home as a brand new tank.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - there will be die off and spikes in ammonia and nitrate.

The new rock needs to come to a biological equilibrium in its new home, esp if that new home as a brand new tank.
This is Assuming the die off is high enough to overload the capabilities of the established biofilter.

That would have to be a massive amount of die off to do so.

Upvote 0

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Massive die off is the norm, not the rare exception.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I've brought in 200 lb of ocean direct live rock over three different orders, as well as hundreds of pounds of rock from tank tear downs.

Spiking ammonia from "massive die offs" has never been a thing with Any of them.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back