If you are considering the Sicce scuba contactless heater....

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go Do It GIF by Saturday Night Live

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been using Eheim Jagers for a long time, but the 5 year warranty convinced me to switch. The NFC setting was nice to use though. I was able to set the temp of the heater before I plugged it in and then stuck it in the sump and let it fly. I monitored the temp religiously over the next few days and I had no swings like I had with the Jaeger, they were the same wattage as well, so not sure what magic Sicce uses but it works. I also use their pumps in my water change system
That's good to know it holds a steady temp. That and the warranty are a great reason to check these out. I just wish they used a standard dial or something, or even no control like the titanium heaters. We have enough apps for everything on our tanks lol, I didn't think we need one for a heater that we set once and hopefully never adjust again.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the contactless part is sort of gimmicky, but it works. After I set the temp I dropped it in and have had no swings in temp more than 1 degree. My eheim jager would routinely allow the water to cool down to 74 from 77.5-78 and after a few weeks the Scuba hasnt done that. I am very impressed with it.
How many heaters are you running?

I use 2 undersize ones on an inkbird this is my graph.
Once it went out of 1 degree.

Screenshot_20231201_093053_APEXFusion.jpg

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah I have been using Eheim Jagers for a long time, but the 5 year warranty convinced me to switch. The NFC setting was nice to use though. I was able to set the temp of the heater before I plugged it in and then stuck it in the sump and let it fly. I monitored the temp religiously over the next few days and I had no swings like I had with the Jaeger, they were the same wattage as well, so not sure what magic Sicce uses but it works. I also use their pumps in my water change system

There was something wrong with your heater or you had it set wrong. I have 2 Jagers over 10 years old and they hold within 1 degree.

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kidding aside, I am struggling with a 6 month old IM Helio heater that shuts off when it shouldn’t after working fine for a while. I should have gone with inkbird or ranco controller and Ti elements (monitored by my Hydros). I am currently running my backup Jaeger and Aqueon heaters off my Hydros, and of course they are doing fine and the Hydros will shut them down if the temp goes over 80 or let me know if the temp takes a nosedive. New technology looks good in paper but having had my tank’s temperature nosedive using new tech makes me question not keeping it simple.

That said, I think the sicce heaters are likely good if the only major difference is nfc control (I have an xstream DC powerhead and sdc 9.0 return and am very happy), but heating is SO critical. I’m over messing around with new tech and want something “tried and true”. Heaters are the last thing I thought I’d be concerned with.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 300 watt eheim Jager is going on 15 years old. I've taken it out twice to clean it. The Apex controls it with a 0.5F hysteresis. It doesn't cycle much. My house stays constantly 70.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My contactless is being problematic. I have it set to 80 and it gets my tank to 75. I used the offset feature which only allows a +-3° change and it still only heats to 75°. Definitely not undersized as it's a 200 watt heater in a 50 gallon tank. It's not running all the time so it's like it won't actually apply the changes I have set and read back.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My contactless is being problematic. I have it set to 80 and it gets my tank to 75. I used the offset feature which only allows a +-3° change and it still only heats to 75°. Definitely not undersized as it's a 200 watt heater in a 50 gallon tank. It's not running all the time so it's like it won't actually apply the changes I have set and read back.
+/-3 is a 6 degree hysteresis. That is UNACCEPTABLE! If it can't do 1 degree you need to move on. The Eheim Jager can't be beat for price, longevity, and function. The scale is not accurate, but once you find your temp, you are set for a decade. Your other best option is to set it at 90 and get an inkbird.

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess complaining about it here, deleting it from the app for the fourth time, then adding it again, giving it a name that I can't say here, and setting it may have made it behave. It's actually cycling on and off as described during its initial temp rising process. I may go back to my Ehiem for now, it was too small so it couldn't keep up if the room isn't heated. I knew I should have just ordered another one of those in 200w size.

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 year warranty, let them know and get a new one

Zerodameaon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will give that a try, though I may just return it while still in my return window. It only acted correctly for about an, now it's not working correctly again. It's currently set to 95° and it hasn't raised the tank temp at all in the last hour. I also can set the temp to 70 and see the same behavior, tank temp stays at 76 and the heater cycles on and off.

I have noticed the light flashes red every once in a while when it cycles on.

jeffyang

clownparrot
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought one to try it out.
Here is my thought:

This whole NFC thing is useless and actually adds more hassle when you need to set up the temperature. I am going to return it and go back to the dial-to-set heater.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marty: Why don't you just make ten hotter and make ten be the top number and make that a little hotter?

Nigel: These go to eleven.

liam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just been battling with these heaters,they are designed to cycle on and off regardless of wether target temp has been reached, heater runs for 1 min 40 secs then turns off for several minutes before coming back on.Therefore a 300 watt heater could not raise temp in 80 gallons net to 78 degrees, room temp was 71. Nearly dropped my phone in the sump a dozen times trying to connect. Set temp to 82, still couldn't raise temp past 75 over several days.
Sicce have been outstanding trying to resolve the issue and sent me new heaters but there seems to be a design flaw here.
Installed 15 year old hydro theo I had laying around and tank was at temp within 2 hours

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jagger 200w raised my temps in a bare bottom 75 to 88 in a 76 degree fish room. Had to solve FW ich and why the high temps. Running a 50w in approximately 16 gallons of volume and keeps that at 78 when temps drop to 69. Wife likes it cold. Set and forgotten. NFC seems cute but perhaps I'll pass unless upgrading to titanium just because I've wanted to but not because I've had to although all those cords has been thinking perhaps if it ain't broke...

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back