If you could create a dream coral, what would it be?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine you were able to make a brand-new species of coral what would you want it to be like? Maybe you want an acro with these fancy colors on it or a new type of Monti with a unique look to it etc.. Curious to see what everyone says!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish the tropical corals would evolve to live off the coast of California so we could have beautiful reef corals here. Traveling is a pain but there is enough beautiful stuff already growing where the water is warm.

Grass Is Greener Mowing GIF

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A torch like coral with longer tenticles, grew faster, very hardy, came in a very very wide range of colors.

Even one that has a bunch of colors in one.

One that has orange tenticles that fades to blue ends with red tips.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Imagine you were able to make a brand-new species of coral what would you want it to be like? Maybe you want an acro with these fancy colors on it or a new type of Monti with a unique look to it etc.. Curious to see what everyone says!
An invincible, one that does not die

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want something that could bioluminenscence.
This is the way.

I have long dreamed of luminescent corals... Did you know it’s now a reality for plants? You can buy them here! I bought a couple, eagerly awaiting shipment
You could probobly genetic modyfy a coral to have some luminescent gene or something.

Use xina as a test coral.
There are some soft corals (octocorals) that can, actually - sea pansies (Renilla spp.) for example, are bioluminescent (they're tough to come by in the hobby these days, but they have been kept before); sea pens (another kind of octocoral) are also bioluminescent, but they're much more difficult to keep by all accounts that I've heard.

For me, though, I think I'd go with a something like an Acanthophyllia that can move and reproduce via budding.

Edit: Might as well make it bioluminescent too.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some soft corals (octocorals) that can, actually - sea pansies (Renilla spp.) for example, are bioluminescent (they're tough to come by in the hobby these days, but they have been kept before); sea pens (another kind of octocoral) are also bioluminescent, but they're much more difficult to keep by all accounts that I've heard.

For me, though, I think I'd go with a something like an Acanthophyllia that can move and reproduce via budding.

Edit: Might as well make it bioluminescent too.
Sadly you can't find any of thoes for sale.

I just looked up the octo and sea pens they look super cool but can't find them.

Just like the sea fan.

Maybe I should change my coral to a sea fan. One of the big flat ones that are highly illegal for whatever reason
You cant keep them but you can sell giant dead ones.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back