If you could create a dream coral, what would it be?

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some soft corals (octocorals) that can, actually - sea pansies (Renilla spp.) for example, are bioluminescent (they're tough to come by in the hobby these days, but they have been kept before

Sadly you can't find any of thoes for sale.

Maybe here? They’re native to the Atlantic and Gulf coasts and don’t sound very rare. Maybe they’re just hard to keep alive?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe here? They’re native to the Atlantic and Gulf coasts and don’t sound very rare. Maybe they’re just hard to keep alive?
Sadly, Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory no longer sells to hobbyists:
They have two separate pages about placing orders; one page used to say no individuals while the other did not (it confused me too- I had only seen the one that didn’t state no individuals).

It looks like they’ve changed it no individuals on both pages now though:
Edit: Both URL’s above are different, and they have different fonts for the “does not sell to individuals” paragraph on each page.
Last I checked, you could get one from Matsu Collections (Renilla koellikeri), but it's a coldwater species and I haven't checked recently if they still offer it.

Edit: To add, they're not particularly difficult to keep alive, but touch is what sets off their bioluminescence, and they can only glow a few times at a time due to the amount of energy it takes - when they're not glowing, they're fairly plain looking compared to the wide range of colors we get with other corals.

Last edited:

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of things are illegal to harvest. I want one of the big flat seafans... I could go get one but for whatever reason they're illegal to keep and I guess harvest... but I can scoop anenomes up.

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory no longer sells to hobbyists:
Ugh ok. I guess we will have to engineer our own! Acropora millepora ok with everyone?? Just need access to some gravid wild colonies real quick... see https://www.pnas.org/doi/epdf/10.1073/pnas.1722151115

"Materials and Methods
Collection and Spawning of A. millepora
. In November 2016, gravid adult colonies of A. millepora were collected from Trunk Reef in the Central Great Barrier Reef (Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority Permit G11/34671.1), transported to the National Sea Simulator at the Australian Institute forMarine Science, and placed in outdoor tanks under ambient temperature and light conditions to allow spawning. On November 18, six colonies spawned at ∼9:30 PM, and egg–sperm bundles from each individual were collected and broken up using gentle washing in 100 μm-mesh sieves, which retain the eggs while the sperm pass through. Sperm from the six individuals were pooled and diluted to a concentration of∼106/mL, and the eggs were. also pooled. Aliquots of sperm and eggs were mixed to allow fertilization at∼10:00 PM and at intervals of∼30 min thereafter; in each cycle, eggs and sperm were first incubated together at an ambient temperature of 27 °C for 15 min and then moved to a 24 °C room for microinjection. This staggered fertilization allowed time for microinjection of each batch of zygotes before first cleavage, which occurred 30–60 min after fertilization. On November19, four other individuals spawned, and their eggs and sperm were collected and processed as on the preceding day."

Gotta work quickly!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are already a thing.
1707796170701.png

I have brought home a lot of these already. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I got a limited edition rainbow Tyree one! #ghost
IMG_2729.jpeg

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so without the easy ability to get gravid Acropora colonies... I did find that it's known how to induce polyp bailout in Pocillopora. Not single cell, so you wouldn't get germline mutations, and might end up with a mosaic of bioluminescence expression, sort of like the "grafted" M. capricornis. But would be much easier to try "in the garage," if you will!

Screen Shot 2024-02-15 at 11.47.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-15 at 11.48.07 AM.png

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a toadstool coral with multiple colors with long bubble tip sweepers. So basically a bubble tip anemone that’s easy to care for that doesn’t move and easily detaches without tearing and you don’t have to worry about powerheads.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back