If you get a nice deal from someone, do you think they are stupid?

Loggerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I just picked up an Kessil H380 off of a local guy for $100. Great deal. He bought it new for $300, used it for a month and it didn’t work out in his system and tried a couple of times to sell it for $200. Couldn’t so he dropped the price to $100 just to move it. I was the first of five people to want it and got an amazing deal for my new build. If it doesn’t work out for me I will offer it for $100 to the next guy in line. I don’t consider the seller stupid for unloading a piece of equipment he couldn’t use at a huge discount.

Likewise with livestock. I can trade my rainbow and red bubble tips to the lfs for $45-$75 store credit when they split and they sell them for $100-$150 or I can sell them to a local hobbyist for $45-$75 cash. Same money for me and a great deal for the hobbyist. I recently sold a beautiful 6” derasa clam to a local guy that I have had for three years. Grew from 1.5” and had great new shell growth. Charged $100 for it and I could have gotten more, but I wanted it gone. I pulled it from my 90 gallon in March due to a purple tang and dusky wrasse deciding it was a treat and had it in a Biocube. The guy I sold it to was looking for a bigger one to go in his well established 400 gallon tank. I took a hit on it because I had it for three years and wanted it to have the best chance of survival. I figured it had a better chance in his established 400 gallon than taking it to the lfs and having them sell it to someone who didn’t know anything about them who would wind up killing it in three weeks.

The hobby is expensive. Get good deals when you can and be grateful. Pay it forward when you can.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of it comes down to time. I sold my previous freshwater tank for basically nothing and I was honestly getting ready to just give it away. Maybe they thought they ran me for a good deal but in my eyes they were just paying me to take out my trash lol. im so glad it’s gone.. I can’t believe I used to be a planted tank guy.. reefing is so much cooler!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back