If you had phosphates above 1.0ppm

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do anything unless you have a specific issue you can tie to PO4. This is typically the point where a tank gets nuked due to a perceived bad number. Either do the test yourself (Hanna ultra low range ULR) or don't do anything.

Keep the following in mind.

Too fast a PO4 change will hurt acros and they will stop growing, stop using Alk, which if not caught will lead to an Alk spike and wipe out many of your acros. All changes should be slow, deliberate, and combined with increased testing.
+1 completely agree with Mark completely. Chasing numbers and/or overcorrecting with no problem to address more often than not ends badly. I don't trust any bad reading until verified by several reliable sources (and by that I mean quality test kits within expiration dates).

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some others have said I wouldn't stress about anything at this point. I'd wait a week and test again, if it's still highish perhaps some water changes and/or gfo to slowly bring it down.

For what it's worth for the last 6 months my PO4 has crept up from 0.6 to 1.6 and the only difference I have noticed in the tank is having to scrape the glass twice to three times a day. There is no algae growing in the tank other than on the glass.
Coral wise acros have slowed a touch in growth but colours haven't changed and I would say they are quite good.
I dose aquaforest 123+ so perhaps the trace elements help with that.
Zoas are growing like weeds and haven't noticed a change in LPS.
Being busy setting up a new tank the maintenance on my current one has slipped but if I clean the glass you wouldn't know it.

But that's just my experience amongst many :)

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate stays at .25 i use gfo and it hasnt helped to much i have a hard time keep bubble tip or any soft corals thats all that i have seen that it affects and i want soft corals so bad... what can i do?

20170620_112650.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphate stays at .25 i use gfo and it hasnt helped to much i have a hard time keep bubble tip or any soft corals thats all that i have seen that it affects and i want soft corals so bad... what can i do?

20170620_112650.jpg
Get your test verified by a lfs or purchase another kit.
There are so many factors involved in sustaining a home reef, too many folks point at Phosphate as being a major contributor of failure. (thus my light hearted approach to it).
To me, looking at that tank, phosphate is not the problem.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wounder what it is then everything test good other then that?
if your on rodi is a big one.
Nobody wants to admit it but young tanks do have difficulty. The parameters we test, IMO, are just a tiny peak into the complexity of the ecosystem were building.
BTA are notorious for failing in young tanks. Why? dunno. I have theories but id have to have a lot more strenuous testing and a degree in chemistry and biology to prove them.

Lighting and flow are the next two things to look at.

K100286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your problem with keeping soft corals may have nothing to do with po4 at 1. Many tanks have po4 higher than 1 and don't have a problem keeping soft corals. Could be your flow and or lights as stated above.

dankreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem to be worried about. Plenty of people run higher p04 than that. I wouldn't mess with it until you start seeing increased algae growth or browning. Just keep an eye on it. I swear I saw a TOTM on here a long time ago that had like 2.0 p04 or something super wild.

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a MYTH that you need 0 po4 and 0 no3. On fact, most tanks with that are starving and look like $&#@.

I do think po4 is a lil high, but it NOT a big deal. I would consider running a BIT of GFO for a while to see if u can get it down some but if ur colors and growth are good then make very small changes

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running gfo my alk is high 10.2
Cal 350 mag 1400 how do i get them to level out i change 5 to 8 gallons a day of water i have a 80 gallon tank been running over 2 years

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running gfo my alk is high 10.2
Cal 350 mag 1400 how do i get them to level out i change 5 to 8 gallons a day of water i have a 80 gallon tank been running over 2 years
You do a 100% water change four times a month? That's like 300 gallons a month.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Don't worry about it too much. I've had levels up around 5ppm and I'm a firm believer po4 has very little to no effect on corals. I did a year with .1-.2 and saw no difference at all.
It's all hype...for the most part

I've been dosing PO4 (and NO3) for about a year now and keep it approx. between .1 and .25 and have noticed a big difference, lol. Healthy, colorful acros!

Speaking of hype or the lemming factor, or whatever a person wants to call it, I remember not too long ago that if anyone posted nutrients higher than zero, zero, they usually had to endure some well meant criticism.

Lninwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, gfo is a good idea and to keep it in the cheap you don't need a reactor you can put some in a mesh bag and put it in your filter sock. Be careful to not od on gfo because it will strip your tank of nutrients. Algae scrubber is a very good idea. Santa Monica filtration has many different options.

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything as far as corals is good all but my bubble tip and my dunken dont want to open whar is PO4 abd No 3 does it help keep it stable

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back