If you had to start all over…

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the TWO things you would not skip out on/go cheap on?

For me it’s the Milwaukee Digital Refractometer and getting an Auto Top Off and not relying on a pitcher to top off. Did that for years and finally got an osmolator and I’ll never go back.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started over with the best everything I could get hands on without waiting a year.
Things I didnt skimp on? Everything....but this time I went with a controller because I'm sick and tired of crap happening every time I go away for a weekend. Never again!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
#1 for me would be a good ro/di unit w/ a booster pump. We can have all of the fanciest gadgets available for reef aquariums but they are basically useless without starting with high quality source water.

#2 would likely be good test kits. Just as mentioned above, the quality of the water we keep in our glass boxes is far and away the most important aspect of keeping a nice reef tank. There are plenty of ways to grow corals that don't require "good" (expensive) equipment, but there is really no substitute for good water.

I know these answers aren't much fun, but IMO they are the foundation of a good reef tank. The hobby is a lot easier, and more fun when stuff doesn't die because source water isn't good and/or because major parameters aren't kept in line. :)

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things I got that I think are some of the most important system components:

Inkbird wifi temperature controller. All of my display tanks have one. Heaters are the number 1 cause of tank crashes and should not be trusted. This has saved my bacon a couple of times

Reefbreeders prism ATO. So much of a labor savor, and great for stability. I had the sensor die on one and reefbreeders was super responsive and got me a replacement asap.

3rd place runner up: autodoser for alk and calcium.

A little automation goes a long way. I wish i had the funds for a control system but it isnt in the budget right now. I also have an autofeeder I can pop on and I monitor the tank with a $50 Webcam. Especially this time of year I have to work a LOT and need the tank to be able to run itself for days or longer at a time with minimal intervention.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 for me would be a good ro/di unit w/ a booster pump. We can have all of the fanciest gadgets available for reef aquariums but they are basically useless without starting with high quality source water.

#2 would likely be good test kits. Just as mentioned above, the quality of the water we keep in our glass boxes is far and away the most important aspect of keeping a nice reef tank. There are plenty of ways to grow corals that don't require "good" (expensive) equipment, but there is really no substitute for good water.

I know these answers aren't much fun, but IMO they are the foundation of a good reef tank. The hobby is a lot easier, and more fun when stuff doesn't die because source water isn't good and/or because major parameters aren't kept in line. :)

I'm definitely rethinking my RO unit as well. I got a 75GPD which in hindsight was a dumb move.
Makes way too much waste water and take for arfing ever!! My water pressure is great, but a 75gpd RO...is not. LOL

Like today, I'm making up water for my refugium add and also for my topoff and it's 10:30 now...I have 2 buckets to go which is like 2 hours with this tinkertoy.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Get some amount of high quality live rock even if most of my aquascape is dry Marco Rock. I spent so much money fighting the dinos at the three month mark. I should have spent more money on the rock upfront to try and avoid the dino war.

2. I wish I did not get anything in-tank with a Sicce pump. They run reliably but not absolutely silent like some of the other better brands. The Sicce Zero pump is a workhorse for water change but that does not sit in the tank 24/7.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never use dry rock or allow GSP in my tank.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely rethinking my RO unit as well. I got a 75GPD which in hindsight was a dumb move.
Makes way too much waste water and take for arfing ever!! My water pressure is great, but a 75gpd RO...is not. LOL

Like today, I'm making up water for my refugium add and also for my topoff and it's 10:30 now...I have 2 buckets to go which is like 2 hours with this tinkertoy.
I also purchased a 75 gpd originally. Thankfully BRS has upgrade kits which increase output to 150 gpd and reduce waste water significantly by running the water through two RO membranes. Pair this with the Smart Buddie RODI Booster and you have a great setup. One really nice thing about the Smart Buddie is it flushes the unit every time it starts up. A lot of people ignore this step it seems but is important to optimal RODI unit operation.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just sold me on ai lights!
What's wrong with AI lights? I have 3x hydra52s that I paid $200 for and a Hydra 26 that I paid $150 for. One was DOA and probably 4 years old. Ai fixed it for FREE and even paid for shipping both ways. They are a pain to setup, but once they are rolling, they are bulletproof. There is a Facebook page with excellent lighting schemes as well. One would be a fool to NOT buy AI lights off of the classifieds.

If one was so inclined to spend MSRP for a light I'd look somewhere else.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://premiumaquatics.com/product...MzSagT5NUxeiimlxMcQQg0VeLTmSf41RoCdcAQAvD_BwE

This may help some

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back