If you HATE the classifieds then I need your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you HATE the classifieds then I need your help but ONLY if you will tell us what you don't like about it and what you think we could do to make it better. We will never be able to please everyone, but I want to hear you and I want to make it as best as possible.

Please note the classifieds are not going anywhere so what can we do to make it better?

If you want to be rude please don't post. Thank you! :)

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, no hate. I don't hate them.

But it is occasionally frustrating when you click on them (on my cell phone - probably not desktop) and can't see the location. So I read the ad. The I see they aren't interested in shipping and they live across the country from me. That could definitely be better. Maybe by forcing a state tag. Or showing the map at the top of both views

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hate to say but I still prefer the old format. Navigating can be confusing at times for many.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, no hate. I don't hate them.

But it is occasionally frustrating when you click on them (on my cell phone - probably not desktop) and can't see the location. So I read the ad. The I see they aren't interested in shipping and they live across the country from me. That could definitely be better. Maybe by forcing a state tag. Or showing the map at the top of both views
Thank you and we started forcing location tags but you can only see them in the actual classifieds. Take a look.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hate to say but I still prefer the old format. Navigating can be confusing at times for many.
No no no worries! But would love to know exactly what you don’t like so we can fix it and make you love it!

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested it out. I typically get to a classified post when they are on the first page of what's new. So I clicked the first one. However that takes me to the discussion. Screenshot attached with no location. I would prefer to read the discussion first so that I can see what's no longer available before I spent a lot of time on something that was bumped to the top but sold six months ago

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220328-221648.png
    Screenshot_20220328-221648.png
    557.5 KB · Views: 44

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get why the old format exits with the new format.

I dislike the new format entirely, sorry.

When someone discusses on the dry goods forums the classified should bump to the top again. I dislike the expiration period all together as not only do some people fail to find a buyer right away but it's good to get comp info down the road to help list new listings. I hope paid classified ads are not coming like a Fortnite game....

Personally I feel like the old format just needed a little tweaking maybe a better prefix system and sorting system.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't get why the old format exits with the new format.

I dislike the new format entirely, sorry.

When someone discusses on the dry goods forums the classified should bump to the top again. I dislike the expiration period all together as not only do some people fail to find a buyer right away but it's good to get comp info down the road to help list new listings. I hope paid classified ads are not coming like a Fortnite game....

Personally I feel like the old format just needed a little tweaking maybe a better prefix system and sorting system.
Thank you for the good feedback!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just tested it out. I typically get to a classified post when they are on the first page of what's new. So I clicked the first one. However that takes me to the discussion. Screenshot attached with no location. I would prefer to read the discussion first so that I can see what's no longer available before I spent a lot of time on something that was bumped to the top but sold six months ago
Good stuff! Thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No no no worries! But would love to know exactly what you don’t like so we can fix it and make you love it!
I looked forward a couple of times each day seeing the latest postings which I sort of can do now. Hunting for a certain item category not for me.
If I type in skimmer, there is a list of sold and available, but the available ones can be as much as a 3-4 month old ad.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a sale on the classifieds. Everything went great. I left positive feedback for the buyer and recieved no feedback from the buyer. I presume they are happy but it looks like I never made a transaction positive or negative. Feedback would be better if people actually utilized it.

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clicked another one that was a better example. You see it's pick up only if you're paying attention, then read the whole thing, get a message about no shipping, then have to look for where it ships from.

It's not long, but I read this forum for entertainment value. There usually isn't a significant % discount in the classifieds and also no warranty transfer so at some point it's just easier to buy new.

Screenshot_20220328-222917.png

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the site and didn’t even realize there was a discussion tab! I’d been messaging sellers and no one would get back to me. Only to find that those items had already been sold. Why are there two tabs under a single listing? Can’t the “discussion” just be right below the original post listing the item for sale?

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you HATE the classifieds then I need your help but ONLY if you will tell us what you don't like about it and what you think we could do to make it better. We will never be able to please everyone, but I want to hear you and I want to make it as best as possible.

Please note the classifieds are not going anywhere so what can we do to make it better?

If you want to be rude please don't post. Thank you! :)
I am new here, so I can't really offer an opinion. But what is the difference between the classifieds and marketplace? They seem to be used redundantly.

EDIT: I just found a buy/sell/trade forum that seems to also function as a classified section.

I would think that all three of these could be combined into one space.

Last edited:

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like how you can't delete posts/ads, especially after the item has sold. Even when you mark the item closed/sold, people still message/reply because they look past it and/or don't see it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I clicked another one that was a better example. You see it's pick up only if you're paying attention, then read the whole thing, get a message about no shipping, then have to look for where it ships from.

It's not long, but I read this forum for entertainment value. There usually isn't a significant % discount in the classifieds and also no warranty transfer so at some point it's just easier to buy new.

Screenshot_20220328-222917.png
Old format also showed location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back