Reefers, help NOAA classify wild corals for AI training!

Captain-Barnacle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NASA created citizen science Zooniverse to classify cosmic objects. Now NOAA wants to do the same for corals. There are coral experts in the Reefer Community who know more about coral varieties than almost anyone. These experts are needed to make identifications of coral from undersea robotic rover video surveys, in order to train AI to automate identification for ongoing conservation. Participants will gain valuable experience at the frontline of the AI Revolution. Rare endangered corals may be identified needing aquarium cultivation to conserve species:

"Do not ask what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country." John F Kennedy

OP
OP
Captain-Barnacle

Captain-Barnacle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that UI is tedious. Still spent some time ID'ing some, and cool project nonetheless!
True, learn the hard way about coral to become better at almost anything else, including UX. The proof is this Forum beats just about every other I have seen (electric skateboard community tied for 1st Place). The world is like a poorly run aquarium.

OP
OP
Captain-Barnacle

Captain-Barnacle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds cool and interesting…
I know I’m not qualified…I can tell a clam from a acan but that’s about it
Call it the Doctorgori Reefer AI Test: no AI yet "can tell a clam from an acan", but someday they will. Once we train a Reefer AI to do so, we can kick back and watch it just get better. We could wear really obscure coral costumes, to control it if it runs amok. Even coral hand-puppets might work.

Seriously though, if Reefers and AI make a difference for wild reefs, every little bit helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Captain-Barnacle

Captain-Barnacle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related front, working with Landing AI to develop Machine Vision for Aquarists, starting with freshwater as simpler, but will then do saltwater. This is what the training data looks like, for each kind of thing-

1713361989129.png

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 31.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back