If you were to ban one fish from the hobby what would it be?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't be any worse than my maroon, plus she was ruthless killing her mate. Still, she's front and center and loves her nem and leaves everyone else alone.
I don’t know. I think mine is worse. She actively chases and nips my Majestic Angel, my Porcupine Puffer and my Sargassum Trigger.

You said your Maroon leaves everyone else alone. My Tomato does not.

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the heck do people keep maroons! I've never heard "you know my favorite fish is my maroon clown, he's so sweet!"
instead it's "my maroon stalked and killed every one of my fish and then tried to bite off my hand"
I was naive. First fish I bought and the lfs didn't warn me. I thought clowns were clowns.

Hhaynie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very fair. Anything like that should not be allowed in. Would be much better for the US saltwater hobby if fish had to pass health inspection by people who actually know what they are looking for before being allowed into the US. The same should be done with freshwater fish and reptiles. Tens of thousands of animals would be saved every year just by preventing sick/diseased/starved animals from being imported. The reptile hobby is the perfect example of this where in just Michigan alone at least 1000 various cheap imports still loaded with ticks and other parasites are for sale at one of the various reptile expos every weekend. 90% of those animals won't live past 30 days in captivity.
I think reptiles is a bit of a different ball game. They are decades behind the aquarium industry in their practices. However, most can be bred, so a ban would be unhelpful.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really feel like more than fish type, collection practices are the thing I'd want to see internationally banned. Catching fish with cyanide damaging all nearby life and essentially writing the death certificate for their premature death is a blight on this hobby and absolutely sets us back in the court of public opinion. At the end of the day if we want this hobby to be around forever, sustainable collection practices, aquaculture, and captive breeding are necessities even if you don't agree with the ethics driving them.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my fish that should be more regulated is probably dragonets. I don't think any fish should be banned, but I'd appreciate it if lfs and online vendors required tank stocking and setup list as background info for ordering challenging to keep aquarium life sort of like when you adopt a pet.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about instead of banning anything, we educate collectors (who generally aren’t hobbyists) about what does and does not survive in our aquariums. They should have a list of target species and a list of inappropriate species. Don’t pay them for animals that don’t survive. And if LFS themselves didn’t order animals that require swimming pools or acro polyps that would be great too. No one wants to take responsibility but LFS owners are the ones ordering fish. More difficult species should be special order for a dedicated hobbyist with the correct setup. No need to ban anything.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really feel like more than fish type, collection practices are the thing I'd want to see internationally banned. Catching fish with cyanide damaging all nearby life and essentially writing the death certificate for their premature death is a blight on this hobby and absolutely sets us back in the court of public opinion. At the end of the day if we want this hobby to be around forever, sustainable collection practices, aquaculture, and captive breeding are necessities even if you don't agree with the ethics driving them.
Actually cyanide fishing is banned in places like the Philippines.....yet is still gets used. These places are huge areas where things aren't easily enforced and testing for cyanide I believe is still very difficult.

Amphibious Wallet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Betta splendens and goldfish.
Agreed. Easily the most abused fish in the hobby.

With Betta's you get thousands of tiktok/youtube videos of people housing them in 1/2 gallon plastic tanks with 1 fake plant, owners bragging about changing their water as often as once a week - sometimes moving the fish into a bowl while they empty and clean out the 'tank' with detergent then fill the tank back up with straight tap water at whatever temperature it comes out. Almost every one features a child or teenager. Probably doesn't help that they can be had for $5.

Then you get these goldfish with deformed bodies, abdomens too small for their insides and huge bulging eyeballs left to swim around in a stagnant bowl for 6-12 months before clocking out. God forbid they last long enough to outgrow a 5gal tank.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man...good thread! I think I'd ban panther groupers. Those poor fish get bought way too frequently as tiny fish only to outgrow their tanks really fast!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cowfish and Boxfish- These guys are captured and sold to merely die in captivity. At a very small percentage, some make it but at a high percentage, they eventually starve, weaken and die

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lionfish. Invasive species that is hurting the natural biodiversity of the reefs because hobbyists decide to let them go for their personal reasons.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back