Ignorance is not bliss

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'd get a RODI asap. I wouldn't start a tank without one. It doesn't have to be the most expensive , the most basic ones are under $100 . Your tank will thank you for it.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get a RODI asap. I wouldn't start a tank without one. It doesn't have to be the most expensive , the most basic ones are under $100 . Your tank will thank you for it.
yes, this 100% this

@ilikefish69 Please do this, it will save you a huge headache.

I use this, literally 69$, it was made for you.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, this 100% this

forgot to mention. Tap water fuels harmful algae/nuisance bacteria growth, has stuff in it that harms fish and especially inverts, and messes with the tanks bacterial populations,

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
life rock is basically dry rock with some purple colored bacteria paint on it. Not harmful, but overpriced for what it is.
I definitely did not purchase life rock, and that sounds crazy! Wouldn't the bacteria die after it was taken out of water???

It was from BRS the $2.99/lb dry rock, I believe CaribSea. Ordered 25 more pounds of base rock, going to try and sculpt NSA aquascape with the new rock. I liked the idea of no hitchhikers, and also growing my own coralline algae as a "You did it!" reward when it appears.
if you already have two nass should be fine not getting more. Don't wanna be rude but nas can flip themselves pretty well.

What kind of hermits? hermits may eat snails for their shells, even if other shells are available. If it were me, I would place the hermits in your refugeium and have the new snails in the display

I started with 4 nass, and only two come out of the sand now when I feed the tank. Not sold on the other 2 being dead, but not convinced they're alive either. Nothing in the tank smelled dead, but the dead ones could have been eaten up pretty quick too before too much rotting could occer.
The hermits are blue legged hermits. I don't have a refugium, but I want to get one installed at some point. I have a bunch of PVC, a 20 gallon tank, some pumps, just have to figure out how to get it all installed. It's basically installing plumbing but relative to aquarium, so I am a little lost. Don't want to buy an overflow box, and then an AIO refugium when I know deep down that I can build one myself for 10% of the cost.
Maybe reefing isn't the hobby for penny pinchers. LOL

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I buy this - will you help me set it up and make it work? Looks pretty self explanatory, but I know I will confuse myself.
yeah sure. Pretty simple, and if you have questions ask away. One end attaches to a faucet, one has waste water and the other is where the filtered water comes out

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely did not purchase life rock, and that sounds crazy! Wouldn't the bacteria die after it was taken out of water???

It was from BRS the $2.99/lb dry rock, I believe CaribSea. Ordered 25 more pounds of base rock, going to try and sculpt NSA aquascape with the new rock. I liked the idea of no hitchhikers, and also growing my own coralline algae as a "You did it!" reward when it appears.

I started with 4 nass, and only two come out of the sand now when I feed the tank. Not sold on the other 2 being dead, but not convinced they're alive either. Nothing in the tank smelled dead, but the dead ones could have been eaten up pretty quick too before too much rotting could occer.
The hermits are blue legged hermits. I don't have a refugium, but I want to get one installed at some point. I have a bunch of PVC, a 20 gallon tank, some pumps, just have to figure out how to get it all installed. It's basically installing plumbing but relative to aquarium, so I am a little lost. Don't want to buy an overflow box, and then an AIO refugium when I know deep down that I can build one myself for 10% of the cost.
Maybe reefing isn't the hobby for penny pinchers. LOL
if they are getting enough to eat in the sandbed, they won't leave it. At least during the day

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah sure. Pretty simple, and if you have questions ask away. One end attaches to a faucet, one has waste water and the other is where the filtered water comes out
will be here in 2 days :)

I can now put RODI water in the tank. Never thought I would see the day, figured this was for the high tech heavy hitters. Thank you for the recommendation on product.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch both of these

If only I had free time during the day...

Oh wait I sit in front of a computer for 8 hours, with less than (lol) 8 hours of work to complete. I will probably watch them both multiple times. Will follow up if I have any questions, but I really like the long haired dude - always has a Cherry Coke in his videos somewhere.

SilvermistInc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only I had free time during the day...

Oh wait I sit in front of a computer for 8 hours, with less than (lol) 8 hours of work to complete. I will probably watch them both multiple times. Will follow up if I have any questions, but I really like the long haired dude - always has a Cherry Coke in his videos somewhere.
These two are the best sources of info for noobs. They'll answer 99% of your questions alone.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, this 100% this

Set up and running!!! Now to find somewhere that isn’t where the cats take dumps and ammonia literally floats in the air….

Attachments

• 31A4CE6A-EFDD-487F-A85C-75FD9AED7591.jpeg
    31A4CE6A-EFDD-487F-A85C-75FD9AED7591.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 28

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back