IM 75EXT Stocking Plan

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon Innovative Marine EXT tank with a 30 gallon Icecap sump. I'm brand new to this, but have done tons of research as I dream about what it can be! Because I'm new, I just don't have the intrinsic sense of what is over-stocked vs. under-stocked. I'd like happy healthy fishies, but also lots of them so the tank looks full. I will add coral, softies mostly. All of this being added slowly over the next 9-ish months.

Fish:
2 clownfish
1 starry blenny
1-2 banggaii cardinalfish
1 diamond watchman goby
1 firefish
(Maybe) 1 coral beauty

Inverts:
Cerith snails (20ish)
Red legged Hermit Crabs (10ish)
Turbo snails (10ish)
1-2 Tuxedo urchin
(Maybe) pom pom crab

Obligatory Aquascape pic attached. Tank is currently cycling!
20211207_223531.jpg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lightly stocked tank! I'd add ten or more banded trochus snails and a variegated urchin to your CUC. You can add urchins relatively safely at any time during your stocking process, as ich tomonts won't encyst on them. I haven't seen any studies for velvet or other diseases, though.

Are you set on your fish list, or are you open to other suggestions?

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely add another few fish in there. I'd recommend going with at least 2 cardinals, adding a flasher wrasse of some sort and possibly a kole tang. Other reef safe wrasses are a good option. Also make sure you have a lid when you get the firefish.

OP
OP
FishieFlashdrive

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lightly stocked tank! I'd add ten or more banded trochus snails and a variegated urchin to your CUC. You can add urchins relatively safely at any time during your stocking process, as ich tomonts won't encyst on them. I haven't seen any studies for velvet or other diseases, though.

Are you set on your fish list, or are you open to other suggestions?
Oh I would LOVE suggestions! I'm not set at all.
I hadn't seen a variegated urchin, but it looks so cool. So definitely one of those. And banded trochua snails make sense.

OP
OP
FishieFlashdrive

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely add another few fish in there. I'd recommend going with at least 2 cardinals, adding a flasher wrasse of some sort and possibly a kole tang. Other reef safe wrasses are a good option. Also make sure you have a lid when you get the firefish.
Are wrasses more peaceful or aggressive? I had, perhaps wrongly, assumed this was too small for a tang but I think that would be great if I can get away with it

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are wrasses more peaceful or aggressive? I had, perhaps wrongly, assumed this was too small for a tang but I think that would be great if I can get away with it
No, you have enough room for most fairy and flasher wrasses and even a melanarus or yellow choris wrasse if you want one. They add a lively touch to most tanks. Avoid species like sixline wrasses (reported to be vicious by many) and red choris wrasses (they grow too big).

My first tip: try to acquire captive-bred or rehomed fish only. They're typically much hardier than wild-caught specimens, and also less likely to be carriers for diseases. You should still quarantine, but I've found that it's been much safer to acquire my livestock from fellow reefers than from LFS. It's taken me a year to stock my tanks, but the wait's been worth it.

Banggai cardinalfishes just hang out in the water column, but don't provide much interest or kinetic energy in the tank.

Clownfish pairs can become aggressive and very territorial. I just bought some coral from an owner who was shutting down his tank: every time he put his hands in the tank, the ocellaris female started to bite his hands. No reef sharks for me, thanks!

The starry blenny and diamond goby are great choices, although the goby will cloud up your tank. I'd suggest adding more live rock to create a goby exclusion zone if you want sand off of any coral you put in the tank.

The coral beauty is a lovely fish -- and I'm sorry to say this -- but its colours are very Prime Prince: nothing but purple and gold all over the place. The flameback angel has a similar colour pallette but is much prettier, and will also probably leave your coral alone.

The pygmy whitespotted filefish is vastly underrated, and won't pick at your acans, unlike its unpredicatable cousin, the matted (aiptasia-eating) filefish.

You should probably avoid all dottybacks, but I still can't stop myself recommending -- with caution -- orchid dottybacks. They're unsurpassed for their fuchsia glory, and I've never had a problem with them. The caveat: I'd only buy them in (at least) pairs, and only captive-bred specimens. Many people have reported that they are devils when kept alone and/or when they have acquired wild-caught specimens.

OP
OP
FishieFlashdrive

FishieFlashdrive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you have enough room for most fairy and flasher wrasses and even a melanarus or yellow choris wrasse if you want one. They add a lively touch to most tanks. Avoid species like sixline wrasses (reported to be vicious by many) and red choris wrasses (they grow too big).

My first tip: try to acquire captive-bred or rehomed fish only. They're typically much hardier than wild-caught specimens, and also less likely to be carriers for diseases. You should still quarantine, but I've found that it's been much safer to acquire my livestock from fellow reefers than from LFS. It's taken me a year to stock my tanks, but the wait's been worth it.

Banggai cardinalfishes just hang out in the water column, but don't provide much interest or kinetic energy in the tank.

Clownfish pairs can become aggressive and very territorial. I just bought some coral from an owner who was shutting down his tank: every time he put his hands in the tank, the ocellaris female started to bite his hands. No reef sharks for me, thanks!

The starry blenny and diamond goby are great choices, although the goby will cloud up your tank. I'd suggest adding more live rock to create a goby exclusion zone if you want sand off of any coral you put in the tank.

The coral beauty is a lovely fish -- and I'm sorry to say this -- but its colours are very Prime Prince: nothing but purple and gold all over the place. The flameback angel has a similar colour pallette but is much prettier, and will also probably leave your coral alone.

The pygmy whitespotted filefish is vastly underrated, and won't pick at your acans, unlike its unpredicatable cousin, the matted (aiptasia-eating) filefish.

You should probably avoid all dottybacks, but I still can't stop myself recommending -- with caution -- orchid dottybacks. They're unsurpassed for their fuchsia glory, and I've never had a problem with them. The caveat: I'd only buy them in (at least) pairs, and only captive-bred specimens. Many people have reported that they are devils when kept alone and/or when they have acquired wild-caught specimens.
Wow thank you for such a thoughtful reply!

I am thrilled to look at the fairy and flasher wrasses. I had assumed they were all bullies because of the 6-line wrasses' rep. I'll definitely look at these!

As you can probably tell from my list, I am aiming to buy all captive-bred fish. I have come to the conclusion that it will be difficult, but worth it. I agree with you about the easier adjustments, and it seems better for the real reefs.

The flameback angel is SO PRETTY. It maybe be worth the chompy chomp risk for the corals.

What do you mean by a goby exclusion zone! Like a ring of live rock just for him?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by a goby exclusion zone! Like a ring of live rock just for him?
I meant reducing the area of your tank with open substrate to "encourage" the goby to sift sand in one particular area. But gobies certainly have a mind of their own and would probably find a way to cover the rest of your tank with sand anyway. :)

ReefSlice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most reef safe wrasses are quite tame, minus some sixlines. Flashers and yellow coris wrasses are great smaller tank community fish!
Look into fang blennies as well, they are great small fish with good personalities, and most species of them are easily captive bred and available. My LFS always has a few captive bred striped blennies. I plan on adding one to my 40g soon. Midas blennies are similar as well but not as commonly captive bred. As said, be careful with angels as they sometimes have an appetite for coral, which is why I've always avoided them.
Your tank is borderline for a tang, but I think a small kole tang is doable.
The goby exclusion area would be a higher up spot for corals on the rocks so that goby isn't burying them in sand constantly, as they are famous for that. I'd personally go with a different goby and leave sand stirring to the nassarius snails and such.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back