OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skunk cleaner that i've had for over a year and a half died this morning. He got stuck early in the molting process, and i'm guessing suffocated or something rather. He started looking real lethargic and after an hour or so tipped over on his back. Kinda sucks, besides my clowns he was my longest tenured reef creature.

Did my water change today and cleaned my skimmer.

Oh I also got a refugium light and some chaeto and pom pom algae to start my refugium up. Hopefully that takes.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skunk cleaner that i've had for over a year and a half died this morning. He got stuck early in the molting process, and i'm guessing suffocated or something rather. He started looking real lethargic and after an hour or so tipped over on his back. Kinda sucks, besides my clowns he was my longest tenured reef creature.

Oh I also got a refugium light and some chaeto and pom pom algae to start my refugium up. Hopefully that takes.
Sorry to hear brother. Sure he had a great life.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear brother. Sure he had a great life.

Thanks man. I was doing some reading and I think it might have been my fault. My clowns and new wrasse had some white stringy poop so I have been treating with focus + metro in LRS for the last 10 days and of course the shrimp would get some every couple days (or everyday for all I know). I've read a lot of people have had no problems but a lot do contribute their shrimps death to the metro. Enough to make me believe it probably was the reason the molt wasn't successful. Its a shame but lesson learned.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man. I was doing some reading and I think it might have been my fault. My clowns and new wrasse had some white stringy poop so I have been treating with focus + metro in LRS for the last 10 days and of course the shrimp would get some every couple days (or everyday for all I know). I've read a lot of people have had no problems but a lot do contribute their shrimps death to the metro. Enough to make me believe it probably was the reason the molt wasn't successful. Its a shame but lesson learned.
Those shrimp only live a few years too. If you bought him at a full size (2”) it may just be associated with aging as well.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m sorry to hear about the shrimp as well. :(
I’ll bet that he just reached his age, I don’t you had anything to do with the loss.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did all my normal tank maintenance this weekend and tested.

N03 - below 1ppm
P04 - .015ppm
dKh - 7.8
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 1260

Everything pretty in tune with where I want it, might raise the calc and mag a little.

So all my fish like nori. I rubberband it to my old tunze mag scraper.

20190616_141750.jpg

And heres a quick growth picture from that ORA stag I put in after the tank cycled.

3/26/19
20190326_151353 (1).jpg

6/17/19
20190617_145225.jpg

As you can see its not a brown turd anymore. The color has been paling a little with the low nutrients but its growing pretty well.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did all my normal tank maintenance this weekend and tested.

N03 - below 1ppm
P04 - .015ppm
dKh - 7.8
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 1260

Everything pretty in tune with where I want it, might raise the calc and mag a little.

So all my fish like nori. I rubberband it to my old tunze mag scraper.

20190616_141750.jpg

And heres a quick growth picture from that ORA stag I put in after the tank cycled.

3/26/19
20190326_151353 (1).jpg

6/17/19
20190617_145225.jpg

As you can see its not a brown turd anymore. The color has been paling a little with the low nutrients but its growing pretty well.

Looking good!
Those fish seem happy with the nori. :)

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’re the fish and sticks? Anything new with the tank lately?

Was super busy this weekend so just managed to get to my water change and maintenance today. I noticed my possum wrasse was super thin and realized he wasn't eating frozen food anymore. I grabbed live brine as a last resort and hes eating that, hopefully I can get him back on frozen. Other than that nothing new. Letting the tank mature so I can get some more acros in there.

Hows life being engaged?

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was super busy this weekend so just managed to get to my water change and maintenance today. I noticed my possum wrasse was super thin and realized he wasn't eating frozen food anymore. I grabbed live brine as a last resort and hes eating that, hopefully I can get him back on frozen. Other than that nothing new. Letting the tank mature so I can get some more acros in there.

Hows life being engaged?
I’m sorry to hear about your possum. I’m sure that he’ll come around. :)
Your sticks seems to be growing really well by the way! That some awesome growth on your “brown turd”.
I’m in the same boat as you as far as just letting the tank settle a bit more before I add anything, but it’s starting to get me. I want to plant some more SPS in there!

The engraved life is very similar other than that I have to save more money now.
We’re also looking at houses in the area, but haven’t decided which side of the marriage we’re going to buy one. We’ve been talking with a couple different realtors and also our credit union, but haven’t decided.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about your possum. I’m sure that he’ll come around. :)
Your sticks seems to be growing really well by the way! That some awesome growth on your “brown turd”.
I’m in the same boat as you as far as just letting the tank settle a bit more before I add anything, but it’s starting to get me. I want to plant some more SPS in there!

The engraved life is very similar other than that I have to save more money now.
We’re also looking at houses in the area, but haven’t decided which side of the marriage we’re going to buy one. We’ve been talking with a couple different realtors and also our credit union, but haven’t decided.

Haha thanks its mostly just that stag, the rest are just encrusting. I hear you though, its so hard just waiting.

Nice buying a house is both exciting and a total pain in the butt. At least here in Florida. Also you'll have to move your tank!

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks its mostly just that stag, the rest are just encrusting. I hear you though, its so hard just waiting.

Nice buying a house is both exciting and a total pain in the ***. At least here in Florida. Also you'll have to move your tank!

Regardless of the species, it’s super awesome to see a stick growning that well in an “immature” tank. I wonder about the generalizations about “young” tanks sometimes...
Regardless, I’d love to trade some frags with you sometime. I’d also e happy to send a box of canned goods. But you’d have to let me know if and or what you would actually want. I’ve got a couple friends that will only taken certain things, so I wouldn’t be offended. I used to be very picky about food myself. ;)

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the species, it’s super awesome to see a stick growning that well in an “immature” tank. I wonder about the generalizations about “young” tanks sometimes...
Regardless, I’d love to trade some frags with you sometime. I’d also e happy to send a box of canned goods. But you’d have to let me know if and or what you would actually want. I’ve got a couple friends that will only taken certain things, so I wouldn’t be offended. I used to be very picky about food myself. ;)

Haha for sure. Once our tanks get more mature im down to do some swapping. Yeah I always wonder about the immature tank thing to. I feel like once you see algae of any type your tank can grow something!

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad day. The possum wrasse was dead when I got home from work. It looked super recent as well at least. He was as thin as a knife and just never got his appetite back. No signs of flukes, ich, velvet, brook, or intestinal worms. He went through a 10 day metro+focus fed to him when the last wrasse joined just fine. I wonder if that upset his stomach or something or the tang was secretly bullying him when I wasn't looking.

Who knows sucks though. I'll replace him in a month or so with something that can stand its own ground a little better I suppose, such a cool fish though. I'd love another if I was certain he would coexist with the tang.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( A sad day indeed.
I’m sorry man. That’s really unfortunate.
Some fish just never quite take to aquarium life.

Super odd though. I looked back at my thread and see I added him 4/10, so for 2 months he was eating and acting great. The last 2 weeks at the most is when he stopped eating. Can't explain it. Thanks for the condolences though.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super odd though. I looked back at my thread and see I added him 4/10, so for 2 months he was eating and acting great. The last 2 weeks at the most is when he stopped eating. Can't explain it. Thanks for the condolences though.

I had a tailspot blenny that did that to me a year or so back. It was very frustrating. I’d had him for about the same amount of time, and he was doing awesome, then he wasn’t.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back