OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thank you. I’m still grateful for what you have to share. I’m definitely going to look into a yellow melanurus wrasse based on your information.

I hope your little guy does well! Definitely looking forward to more pictures when he’s finished acclimating. :)

Definitely I'll get some up. A yellow Coris is perfect for our size tanks

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely I'll get some up. A yellow Coris is perfect for our size tanks

Now with this next admission I will likely be flamed by some.
I’m not a big fan of lids. I use it on my small tank (probably just because it fits well and came with it) and I even made one for my former display, but eventually took it down. I enjoy looking down into the tank too much to run one all the time.
Perhaps a wrasse isn’t for me. :(

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now with this next admission I will likely be flamed by some.
I’m not a big fan of lids. I use it on my small tank (probably just because it fits well and came with it) and I even made one for my former display, but eventually took it down. I enjoy looking down into the tank too much to run one all the time.
Perhaps a wrasse isn’t for me. :(

Well I ran a 16 gallon years ago with a sixline for a few years with no lid. Not that I'd exactly recommend it though.

That's interesting though, with the way my flow is the surface of the water is pretty hard to see through. Can you see through yours?

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ran a 16 gallon years ago with a sixline for a few years with no lid. Not that I'd exactly recommend it though.

That's interesting though, with the way my flow is the surface of the water is pretty hard to see through. Can you see through yours?

Not as easily as I would be able to if I shut off the wave makers, but I definitely spend most of my time looking down. Especially at feeding time. It’s just 2 switches to shut off the pumps.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as easily as I would be able to if I shut off the wave makers, but I definitely spend most of my time looking down. Especially at feeding time. It’s just 2 switches to shut off the pumps.

Roger that. Its definitely a good view!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres wrasse need a sand bed, or at least a container of sand to burrow in when stressed / to sleep. Please don't put one in a bare bottom tank without a container :). If you're set on more wrasse, consider flashers or the smaller Cirrhilabrus like an isoceles or exquisitus, since you already have a lubbocki. Don't add a six line ;)

More about wrasse types in general: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

Surprised your sticks haven't shown much in the way of problems, much braver person than I! Can't wait to see things flushed out in a year or so, love that rockscape, especially that shelf piece jetty on the left. Was impressed with how the seams looked on the EXT 75 at the local store, was always happy with my fusions.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres wrasse need a sand bed, or at least a container of sand to burrow in when stressed / to sleep. Please don't put one in a bare bottom tank without a container :). If you're set on more wrasse, consider flashers or the smaller Cirrhilabrus like an isoceles or exquisitus, since you already have a lubbocki. Don't add a six line ;)

More about wrasse types in general: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

Surprised your sticks haven't shown much in the way of problems, much braver person than I! Can't wait to see things flushed out in a year or so, love that rockscape, especially that shelf piece jetty on the left. Was impressed with how the seams looked on the EXT 75 at the local store, was always happy with my fusions.

Thanks for checking the thread out! I might add another fairy. The wrasse talk was for goofs sake. No wories.

I'll get some more pictures up. The acros are all encrusted over the glue now except the frogskin which is close.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick photo dump! The pink streaked wrasse was super curious while I had my phone out so I got one of him to.

The pink lemonade is the pale one (I'm sure due to low nutrients) but he's still been encrusting and i'm sure color will follow.

20190512_165233.jpg 20190512_165238.jpg 20190512_165338.jpg 20190512_165406.jpg 20190512_165411.jpg 20190512_165401.jpg 20190512_165354.jpg 20190512_165318.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick photo dump! The pink streaked wrasse was super curious while I had my phone out so I got one of him to.

The pink lemonade is the pale one (I'm sure due to low nutrients) but he's still been encrusting and i'm sure color will follow.

20190512_165233.jpg 20190512_165238.jpg 20190512_165338.jpg 20190512_165406.jpg 20190512_165411.jpg 20190512_165401.jpg 20190512_165354.jpg 20190512_165318.jpg

Looking good! Im really digging the wrasse, and love seeing that your sps is growing as well. :)

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work to a dead partially eaten (by my cleaner shrimp) fairy wrasse. She was eating like a champ and looked great last night. No signs or symptoms on what's left on the body.

Sucks though, only the second fish that's ever died under my care. With roughly 5 years of it.

I'll give it a few weeks send I'll try another. All my other fish are doing well. Fingers crossed.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work to a dead partially eaten (by my cleaner shrimp) fairy wrasse. She was eating like a champ and looked great last night. No signs or symptoms on what's left on the body.

Sucks though, only the second fish that's ever died under my care. With roughly 5 years of it.

I'll give it a few weeks send I'll try another. All my other fish are doing well. Fingers crossed.

Dang. I’m real sorry to hear about that. I hope your next attempt has better results.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered up an exquisite and hooded fairy wrasse of LA, they had 25% of wrasses good deal. I'll give em another shot, I have metroplex mixed up with LRS and focus frozen into daily cubes to treat them when they get in.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my weekly maintenance this morning and even cleaned my gyres and returned pump. Pretty productive day. Oh and I also hooked up my doser. I was starting to have to dose 3 times a week to keep up with what I assumed is mostly Coralline growth.

20190525_173059.jpg
20190525_133222.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the exquisite wrasse cane in laying pom it's side and died within 2 hours. The hooded fairy wrasse is in great shape so far and is already eating. Will update with pictures this weekend!

I’m real sorry about the exquisite. :(
It’s never fun to have a fish die on you.
It can be difficult in person even when you pick out a fish that looks really exuberant and then does nothing but decline after you pull it from the tank, let alone the difficulty of dealing with the mystery of online order.

OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m real sorry about the exquisite. :(
It’s never fun to have a fish die on you.
It can be difficult in person even when you pick out a fish that looks really exuberant and then does nothing but decline after you pull it from the tank, let alone the difficulty of dealing with the mystery of online order.

Yea it sucks. I hate watching something die. The only bright side is liveaquaria refunded it promptly.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Justfebreezeit

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad that they handled that for you.

How’s the hooded fairy? Got any pictures? :)

Yea did my maintenance today. Ugly phase started last week and very pale hair algae started growing so thats something I guess. Brushed off wherever it was close to my acros.

20190601_195211.jpg

Crappy quick phone pick during feeding but you get the idea! In person shes a very cool mix of orange and pink. Very voracious eater, she annoyingly loves swimming into her reflection all day though haha

Bummer. Glad it was taken care of by LA.

Yeah It sucks it was a cool looking wrasse. Glad LA had great customer service, I've only used Divers Den up until this order. I'll probably leave these six fish for a few months and see how my nutrients act.

Quick FTS
20190601_195158.jpg

Rocks still so white! Only a few coralline specks on the rocks at this point.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back