I'm back with yet another question about cycling/seeding for qt

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 14 days into 76 painstakingly long days of waiting so I can put fish in. I goofed and put snails in my dt before my starter fish.

I started "seeding" some dry rock rubble and other filter filling goodies in my dt so I can set up my quarantine tank....well today I just realized that I shouldn't use anything out of that tank to set up my quarantine.

I need to take it all out and clean it up so I can start a new cycle don't I?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 14 days into 76 painstakingly long days of waiting so I can put fish in. I goofed and put snails in my dt before my starter fish.

I started "seeding" some dry rock rubble and other filter filling goodies in my dt so I can set up my quarantine tank....well today I just realized that I shouldn't use anything out of that tank to set up my quarantine.

I need to take it all out and clean it up so I can start a new cycle don't I?
I'm sorry, I have to ask because it wasn't obvious based on your post (or I missed the obvious). Why are you waiting 76 days to put fish into your display tank?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused on the question you should be good your DT is Cycled I think you have this back ward after you dose things like Annehyde and cupramine in QT it's bad to put rock that were in QT setup back into DT because there is no way to tell if copper is sedentary in the rocks ever if rocks were in DT At one point. Never cross contaminate from Qt to Dt always take fish from Qt Drip acclimate then fill a separate container with about a gallon of water after 2 hour drip take fish and transfer to bucket with tank water with net no water from 1-4 at 3-4 dt water all dt water in second bucket that way no left over residuals can transfer to corals or inverts

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I have to ask because it wasn't obvious based on your post (or I missed the obvious). Why are you waiting 76 days to put fish into your display tank?
I believe he is trying to let the tank fallow before adding fish which was recommended in early 2000s by pet stores but now with qt we dont need to fallow the only reason you should fallow is to kill dormant cilliate invert disease can only be transferred to othe inverts same goes for fish parasites can only feast on fish,we used to fallow to kill anything nasty in our water but we normally only fallow an aquarium enthusiast right before or directly after a loss

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe he is trying to let the tank fallow before adding fish which was recommended in early 2000s by pet stores but now with qt we dont need to fallow the only reason you should fallow is to kill dormant cilliate invert disease can only be transferred to othe inverts same goes for fish parasites can only feast on fish,we used to fallow to kill anything nasty in our water but we normally only fallow an aquarium enthusiast right before or directly after a loss
Yeah I know all that, except I never heard of generally accepted and recommended practice of a start up fallow period before adding any organisms that contribute to said conditions for needing a fallow period and I've had reef tanks from the 90's into the 2000's. I wasn't going to assume that's the presumption he was operating under, that's why I asked the OP.

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now on the same hand the tank needs an ammonia source I always started off with fish less cycle then added 3 astreas and 6 dwarf hermits for n then about 2 weeks add a pair of clowns after waiting 1st month absolutely no livestock(1st week no filter no lights cover only water substrate rock 1st week over add ammonium cover then add powerhead wait on filtration week 2 uncover begin filtration wait 3 more weeks week 5 your tank is cycled week 6 diatoms begin to form add pioneer species(hermit crabs, nassirus,astrea and macroalgae(if your on a budget running hob or aio and have no sump)
This will help establish stable chemistry around the second month you can add your first fish something hardy like(occelaris or percula or other damsel) then wait about a week d 1st water change and start dosing a biological buffer(some type of sludge po4 or nitrifying bacteria to act as a biological buffer working with drtims or biospyra you added 2 months ago)

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's worried that he didn't quarantine the inverts. He just put them straight into the tank. So now he feels he needs to give the inverts 76 days bc they could have ich or something foreign on them. I could be wrong. I think he's quarantined fish but just dumped his inverts.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those assumptions are generally false. Throw some water in the tank, add a source of ammonia, step back and wait. If you seed some bacteria this will accelerate the wait, but basically despite most people's efforts, without doing anything your tank will be cycled in two or three weeks, especially if you add a dormant or active bacteria. It's a known cycle and it really doesn't vary much.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he's worried that he didn't quarantine the inverts. He just put them straight into the tank. So now he feels he needs to give the inverts 76 days bc they could have ich or something foreign on them. I could be wrong. I think he's quarantined fish but just dumped his inverts.
Possibly, while it's possible for encysted tomants to be riding on inverts, unless the person is really truly riding on parasite eradication/avoidance over management that's a steep curve for a beginner. It's certainly a vector but not as likely at start up as fish are. Great discussion tho... Initial fish should be quarantined by whatever chosen method is preferred or you risk everything. I've learned this lesson before and hard lol

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know all that, except I never heard of generally accepted and recommended practice of a start up fallow period before adding any organisms that contribute to said conditions for needing a fallow period and I've had reef tanks from the 90's into the 2000's. I wasn't going to assume

All those assumptions are generally false. Throw some water in the tank, add a source of ammonia, step back and wait. If you seed some bacteria this will accelerate the wait, but basically despite most people's efforts, without doing anything your tank will be cycled in two or three weeks, especially if you add a dormant or active bacteria. It's a known cycle and it really doesn't vary much.
Scientifically it happens in 5 weeks 8 weeks if you're anal,

nothing good happens fast on this hobby as many people preach
As biogeochemical cycling occurs,a tartrayion curb is met I halve a playlist I made on reef chemistry alnd I found this very helpful even though I've been at it since 06 I still watch these video and reflect and learn I'd give this a watch if you have time

P,

Attachments

• 20210122_024319.jpg
    20210122_024319.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 17

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly, while it's possible for encysted tomants to be riding on inverts, unless the person is really truly riding on parasite eradication/avoidance over management that's a steep curve for a beginner. It's certainly a vector but not as likely at start up as fish are. Great discussion tho... Initial fish should be quarantined by whatever chosen method is preferred or you risk everything. I've learned this lesson before and hard lol
Qt should always be practiced in 06 I learned the hard way by losing 100s of dollars on 12$ tomato clowns from petco until I started to qt in a tote with api melafix(onlything available at ty he time no lfs internet only petco petsmart and supplies running freshwater filtration now I preach always always qt it's best for the animal

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scientifically it happens in 5 weeks 8 weeks if you're anal,

nothing good happens fast on this hobby as many people preach
As biogeochemical cycling occurs,a tartrayion curb is met I halve a playlist I made on reef chemistry alnd I found this very helpful even though I've been at it since 06 I still watch these video and reflect and learn I'd give this a watch if you have time

P,

It's late so forgive me if I didn't watch the videos. Are you saying it takes 5 weeks to cycle a tank?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I qtd my fish went from living to a week to 2 to 14 years my oldest c quest onynx(died in 2016) coolest fish I've ever owned

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt should always be practiced in 06 I learned the hard way by losing 100s of dollars on 12$ tomato clowns from petco until I started to qt in a tote with api melafix(onlything available at ty he time no lfs internet only petco petsmart and supplies running freshwater filtration now I preach always always qt it's best for the animal
Ha, I feel you...I came from the 90's where we didn't quarantine ****... Then I got back in and got my butt handed to me... I'm all about QT now lol

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's late so forgive me if I didn't watch the videos. Are you saying it takes 5 weeks to cycle a tank?
Yes sir 5 to 8 depending on system size to do it propper you can be a dumb dumb and poor a bottle of quick start and hope your livestock can ride out the spike most can but wont be happy as long as you're using quality Water and have high microbial content in water

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir 5 to 8 depending on system size to do it propper you can be a dumb dumb and poor a bottle of quick start and hope your livestock can ride out the spike most can but wont be happy as long as you're using quality Water and have high microbial content in water
I respectfully disagree, your tank can be successfully cycled in two to three weeks regardless of size. In fact of you know what you're doing you don't even have to cycle your tank. I feel we should take this discussion offline as we may be hijacking the OP's thread. Apologies good sir! Hopefully we weren't a distraction. Message me privately @UnderseaOddities enjoying that chat!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back