Im doing something wrong and not sure what.

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone.

Im 5 months into my evo 13.5, i have 3 fish, some life rock, 2 torch corals, a zoa frag and a tripple head of candy cane.

Prams are
sal - 1.026
mag 1440
calc 380
alk 11.5
phos 0.08
nitrates 5ppm
ammonia and nitrite 0

My torches are doing ok, slowly splitting but nothing fast, My candy cane is doing rubbish. Iv moved it out of the flow. lowered lighting times.

My tank runs at zero phos if i do not dose.
Battled cyano a wile ago but touch wood on the other side of it now. I add mag and calc to my water change water and i do 10% a week.

Is my alk far too high? I have no idea why its so high. It never comes down.

I have just bought some reef roids to try and spot feed the candy cane, only done it once so far and it still has clumps of it stuck to it 2 days later. Doesn’t open up at night like it used to.

Any ideas or help would be great hopefully i have provided enough info. New to it all so learning every day. Thank you.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion, but your tank is still new. I'd stop dosing anything and just do water changes. Let it find balance naturally.
Its around 5 months old. I had a really bad cyano outbreak and my nutrients were at zero nitrates and zero phos. Was recommended to dose both to combat the cyano. You think just leave it now?

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its around 5 months old. I had a really bad cyano outbreak and my nutrients were at zero nitrates and zero phos. Was recommended to dose both to combat the cyano. You think just leave it now?
What kinda salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested brand new water from them for the alk? If they are using Red Sea black bucket its really high alk
Thats on my tomorrow’s to do list, when i first started my tank my alk was 8 so will see if they have changed what salt they use. I assumed it was down to dosing neo phos, mag and calc.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats on my tomorrow’s to do list, when i first started my tank my alk was 8 so will see if they have changed what salt they use. I assumed it was down to dosing neo phos, mag and calc.

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank seems ok to be honest. Torch corals seem ok. cyano is under control at last, its just the candy can lookes nothing like it used to. It still opens uo but nothing like when i bought it.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank seems ok to be honest. Torch corals seem ok. cyano is under control at last, it’s just the candy can lookes nothing like it used to. It still opens uo but nothing like when i bought it.
I had a cane that looked like it was dead for a year then exploded with growth. Like for 2 dead looking heads to 40+ in a year.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose nitrate and phosphate but if you’re doing regular water changes u shouldn’t have too dose calcium or mag because your replenishing it with new sea water or you could cut back on water changes and let nutrients build up and if it doesn’t build up then dose nitrate and phosphate .My alk runs at 8

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back