IM EXT170 Acrylic Separation/Delaminating

CDubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a water change and noticed the back acrylic on my Innovative Marine 170 EXT is separating/delaminating from the back glass wall. Tank, stand, and sump were purchased in Jan, received in May, and operational July 1. IM puts a full piece of acrylic on the back wall to include the weir on the overflow. It has obviously swelled with water and caused it to separate.

You can see the bowing on the back wall and a full inch gap in the overflow box (it's supposed to be flush!). The bowing is really noticeable when looking at the side of the tank and it is a detritus trap now. Anyone else have this issue? Emailed and called IM awaiting response.

image0.jpeg image2.jpeg

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really see the bowing clearly in the images, but I'm also not in front of the tank so I'll take you at face value. Can you circle which part is bowing? (never seen this on any of my IM tanks)

2336321907__86119.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CDubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe these pics are better. I can stick my my whole hand between the back glass and the acrylic. It’s like a giant bubble on the back wall all the way to the bottom of the tank.
B4AB9409-D20D-415C-AB68-DD61B73339C3.jpeg
E9A905EC-0BF2-417C-987D-B634D0B89027.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CDubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM had a quick reply after the weekend and will be replacing the tank. Kudos to them. I do have to wait for the made to order queue.

DAPA80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IM had a quick reply after the weekend and will be replacing the tank. Kudos to them. I do have to wait for the made to order queue.
Hello
I actually recently purchased a 150EXT and having the same issue
There are offering to replace it or credit 300.00
My concern is the new tank will eventually have the same issue
Did you receive a new tank?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I actually recently purchased a 150EXT and having the same issue
There are offering to replace it or credit 300.00
My concern is the new tank will eventually have the same issue
Did you receive a new tank?
I have an ext 170.
After reading this I did this.
Where the front plastic weir connects to the overflow their was a gap, I should have taken a pic.
So when the water flows into the overow it may have been the issue.
I ran a bead of black silicone and filled it in so the water flows evenly wthout going into the gap.
Im should make sure that their is no gap. The force of water may have caused it to seperate.

OP
OP
C

CDubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ext 170.
After reading this I did this.
Where the front plastic weir connects to the overflow their was a gap, I should have taken a pic.
So when the water flows into the overow it may have been the issue.
I ran a bead of black silicone and filled it in so the water flows evenly wthout going into the gap.
Im should make sure that their is no gap. The force of water may have caused it to seperate.
I was under the impression it was the acrylic expanding (I believe it takes in a little water) and it doesn’t bond to silicone as well as glass does. I received the new one and need to redo the plumbing as they have changed the return fittings. Hopefully they have made some changes and it won’t happen again. How old is your tank?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression it was the acrylic expanding (I believe it takes in a little water) and it doesn’t bond to silicone as well as glass does. I received the new one and need to redo the plumbing as they have changed the return fittings. Hopefully they have made some changes and it won’t happen again. How old is your tank?
I just got it a week ago.
Again check the area where the weir is, use a flashlight. On mine the glass has a layer of black silicone across the top. I could see the clear silicone they used to attatched the acrylic to the glass. There was a noticable gap, between the black acrylic and the glass, that I filled in. There is now no gap and the water will flow into the overflow unimpeded.
Water flowing over that area, if there is a gap, may cause it to seperate. Its not something I would want on any tank.
Acrylic does expand in water as I just looked it up.
Hopefully they used a 2 part epox now but mine looked like clear silicone.
Think about all the acrylic overflows are attatched to the glass with silicone. I have done many myself over the years.

Anyway look closely and let us know if you see a gap.
Id fill it in just for the piece of mind.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked and it does expand in water so I learned something.
2 part epoxy is the prefered bonding method.
It looks like it was silicone that was used on the IM.
If the glass and plexiglass is not cleaned prior to bonding it may come apart.
Anyway I hope long term it stays together.

OP
OP
C

CDubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked and it does expand in water so I learned something.
2 part epoxy is the prefered bonding method.
It looks like it was silicone that was used on the IM.
If the glass and plexiglass is not cleaned prior to bonding it may come apart.
Anyway I hope long term it stays together.
Anyway you can take a pic of what you did? I think I’m going to do it too for extra security. Whatever happens it’s staying this time. I have to do a full transfer and redo plumping while the livestock is in a kiddie pool!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway you can take a pic of what you did? I think I’m going to do it too for extra security. Whatever happens it’s staying this time. I have to do a full transfer and redo plumping while the livestock is in a kiddie pool!
Here is a pic but it does not really give you much. Look for the gap. I stood in the tank on the pallet and thats when I noticed it.
I just shut down 5 tanks and moved. This is going to be my last full on acro reef so it needs to go 15+ years, lol. I just retired.
20231223_090607.jpg

blazing5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am seeing the same thing with my EXT 75. IM was quick to respond, and they are sending me a new tank. My question to the group is: Did the replacement tanks you received resolve the issue, or did the new tank eventually develop the same issue? The second question is about my tank. I first noticed the issue because the vertical walls of the tank that secure to the back wall were being pushed out, causing the black vinyl sticker to pull away. Did any of you notice the same thing? (See Pic.)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am seeing the same thing with my EXT 75. IM was quick to respond, and they are sending me a new tank. My question to the group is: Did the replacement tanks you received resolve the issue, or did the new tank eventually develop the same issue? The second question is about my tank. I first noticed the issue because the vertical walls of the tank that secure to the back wall were being pushed out, causing the black vinyl sticker to pull away. Did any of you notice the same thing? (See Pic.)
Really hard to see in that pic.
Mine has been wet for 2 months so far with no rocks yet.
When you get your tank look at where the acrylic is in contact with the overflow. On mine there was a gap
I did not want water flowing into the gap which may have caused the acrylic to come off. I ran a bead of black silicon and filled it in.
Where did yours start to pull away?

blazing5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hard to see in that pic.
Mine has been wet for 2 months so far with no rocks yet.
When you get your tank look at where the acrylic is in contact with the overflow. On mine there was a gap
I did not want water flowing into the gap which may have caused the acrylic to come off. I ran a bead of black silicon and filled it in.
Where did yours start to pull away?
It started to pull away at the top in the center of the overflow box. I also included a video to show how the side panels are bulging out at the back, causing the vinyl sticker to pull away. That is the one that really concerns me; it makes it seem like the seam could fail IMG_3826.jpeg IMG_3827.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3828.MOV
    41.7 MB

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started to pull away at the top in the center of the overflow box. I also included a video to show how the side panels are bulging out at the back, causing the vinyl sticker to pull away. That is the one that really concerns me; it makes it seem like the seam could fail IMG_3826.jpeg IMG_3827.jpeg
No vid. On the new tank check the same area that is pulling away. There was a gap on mine where the acrylic is bonded to the glass.
Water flows into the gap when entering the overflow. I ran a bead of black silicon and filled in the gap. Water now flows evenly over the acrylic and glass.
This looks like what happened to yours.

blazing5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No vid. On the new tank check the same area that is pulling away. There was a gap on mine where the acrylic is bonded to the glass.
Water flows into the gap when entering the overflow. I ran a bead of black silicon and filled in the gap. Water now flows evenly over the acrylic and glass.
This looks like what happened to yours.
Darn, I was afraid the video wouldn't work. Here's a picture from the top of the tank. You can see that the side panel sticks out further than the back glass. I'm not sure if the warping acrylic is causing it or if it's another issue. The other side looks pretty much the same. Did you see this at all with yours? Thanks for your advice, btw.

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpeg
    IMG_3884.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
C

CDubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would presume the glass edge didn’t match up and it’s just very visible with the vinyl. Is it like that on the other side? That acrylic piece is purely aesthetic and I can’t see it warping/bowing having more of an effect than the hundreds of pounds of pressure from the water. The 170 I have is euro braced.

My new tank has not bowed in the back fingers crossed it stays that way.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back