IM EXT75 Acro Reef

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 2023 FTS:

Well, after about 2 years out out the hobby, I got the urge to get back in! I never had a "nice quality" tank and heard a lot of good things about IM's Nuvo line. My last tank was setup with all KP aquatic rock, but quickly was over run by aptasia, weather from the rock or from the frags placed in the tank. . . who knows. Last year I tore down that tank and luckily I found a brute of dried out Fiji rock I purchase about 9 years ago, so I bleeched the rock and set up my aquascape with it.

So without further ado:

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after about 2 years out out the hobby, I got the urge to get back in! I never had a "nice quality" tank and heard a lot of good things about IM's Nuvo line. My last tank was setup with all KP aquatic rock, but quickly was over run by aptasia, weather from the rock or from the frags placed in the tank. . . who knows. Last year I tore down that tank and placed my fish and my 2 bio bricks in a 40 breeder and just fed the fish to keep the biome alive while removing any pests that came hitched a ride on the bio bricks. Luckily I found a brute of dried out Fiji rock I purchase about 9 years ago, so I bleeched the rock and set up my aquascape with it.

So without further ado:

Wow, you are coming back with bang! Hope it works out.

OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you are coming back with bang! Hope it works out.
Thanks! I hope it does too. I was pretty successful with the last tank, had 3-4" acro colonies that were healthy and colored up. It wasn't till I found some aptasia and tried to eradicate them with kalk paste that the population exploded.

OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was only about 80% satisfied with the aquascape so I made a couple of minor changes. I felt it was too level across the top so I moved a few of the rocks around and now I am much happier with the results.

More to come this weekend as I finish the plumbing to get it ready for water!

OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the plumbing is now 95% complete but you know what they say. . . measure once cut twice LOL!!! I ended up short on my plumbing, now I just need a 13.25" section of 1" pipe for my emergency drain and the plumbing will be finished!

OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great life changes have occurred, one of which involving moving. Needless to say, I never had a chance to set everything up, but now that the move is complete, the system is now up and running!

Last edited:
OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little bit since I've updated this thread. The first corals were added a month ago and everything has been going great. Here are some pictures of some of the additions!

BRC Walt Disney

JF Homewrecker

RRA Orange Passion

POTO Flamethrower

RMF Break Out Your Wallet

OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much going going on the last month but keeping parameters in check. Corals have been encrusting nicely, and added another MP40 along the back to keep detritus from accumulating on the bottom behind the rock. Had a battlebox arrive from Adam @Battlecorals today and couldn't be happier with the selection. More updates to come in the near future. . .

OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ventured into Chicago today and met up with Ryan of Chummingham's Reef. Walked away with some real chunky frags. One day it will be full of colonies, but for right now here's a FTS of my tank of frags

OP
OP
SMG91

SMG91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in May I had a crash of some sort. . . Probably just new tank syndrome. . . Who knows. Anyways after a few months of just letting things ride and reset, i got back at it and thanks to Ryan once again some chunky frags, things are going well once again!

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses, it can be a rough ride going right into SPS with a new bare bottom tank and dry rocks! It’s been done but not easy!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back