OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are one of my favorites! I want some other varieties of them!
I bought all three of mine from Tidal Gardens. I keep watching for their different varieties and have lucked out. :) The smaller of the three is supposed to be branching - can't wait for it to grow bigger.

OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year all!

Update on my chalk bass that has/had popeye... I am happy to report that he is so very close to being back to normal. Yay!

He ended up getting popeye in both eyes, so I don't think it was due to an injury. I contemplated pulling him, but thought it would stress him more, so rode it out. I also saw that he was feeding (except for two days) and when he was out, there were no other spots or issues with him, so was keeping my fingers crossed that we could ride this out and have him recover. And we did!

I have to admit that I really did not have high hopes. His eyes were pretty bad - they looked like you took a glob of glue and stuck his eye in the middle. The gel looking stuff around them remained clear - and that is really the one thing that gave me a little bit of hope through this.

He is a bit skittish now - where before he really interacted with me. I am hoping this goes away since he is out and about a lot more than he has been in the last two weeks.

I did notice one interesting thing when he was "down and out". He would go over to the corner where the fire shrimp hangs out - and I saw that he was letting the fire shrimp clean him. No one else in the tank has let the shrimp do that so far. Maybe that helped? Who knows...

OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as inverts go, I think urchins have to be my favorite. My purple pin cushion is always entertaining with the things he finds to drag around. This is a new one though! :grinning-squinting-face:

Attachments

• IMG_6762.jpg
    IMG_6762.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the cutest little tailspot blenny to my tank today. Picked him up from Jeff over at FisHotel (does an amazing job with quarantining fish). He is settling in and the other fish could care less that he is around.

IMG_6766.jpg
IMG_6771.jpg
IMG_6768.jpg

OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... I bought some rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater in December. Today this shows up... Good or bad? Hidden cup?

IMG_6788.jpg
IMG_6789.jpg

OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran some errands and could not resist stopping at the LFS. Mine happens to be a PetCo - but I have to say that I have picked up some nice inverts there! Today's find was a small female emerald crab. She is settling into the tank nicely. I had an emerald before (male) and he just got old and died. I think they are fun to have. :)

IMG_6853.jpg

OP
OP
Ghostweim

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what happened to my leptastrea. This thing is always fluffed up and lush. When I cleaned the tank today, I noticed some white filmy gunk waving in the current on one side - the side that was fairly close to my acan echinata. I think maybe they were too close and some warfare took place?

I tried to play it safe and pulled it out while I was working on the tank and dipped it. I scrubbed the side that had all of the white filmy gunk on it and it looks like this now. I think it will bounce back - this is one coral that has been very resilient in my tank. I moved it away from the acan too - so hopefully it is in a better spot now.

IMG_6854.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back