I'm giving up on chaeto. Can I just let the hair and slime algae grow crazy in the sump and use that for nutrient export?

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AI prime fuge lights over my sump. My phosphates have crept up to 0.24. I'm not trying to run an ultra low nutrient tank (as I've had dino problems in the past due to this). My goal is 0.1 for PO4.
My previous chaeto bed just got overrun by slime and hair algae. Tried another batch which met the same fate. For the last week I've just let the slime and hair grow in the sump. Today harvested a bunch of it. Is there any problem with just using this method as nutrient export? I have a strong team of tangs that keep the DT spotless. Basically I'm thinking it as a very rudimentary algae scrubber.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 AI prime fuge lights over my sump. My phosphates have crept up to 0.24. I'm not trying to run an ultra low nutrient tank (as I've had dino problems in the past due to this). My goal is 0.1 for PO4.
My previous chaeto bed just got overrun by slime and hair algae. Tried another batch which met the same fate. For the last week I've just let the slime and hair grow in the sump. Today harvested a bunch of it. Is there any problem with just using this method as nutrient export? I have a strong team of tangs that keep the DT spotless. Basically I'm thinking it as a very rudimentary algae scrubber.
What is the flow like in the sump and can you post pictures? ~Shaun K.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

Attachments

• E0454F24-A542-4C1D-B61B-1E07F46A4265.jpeg
    E0454F24-A542-4C1D-B61B-1E07F46A4265.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 134
  • C2C5FB8B-8501-4F50-822A-F2A4BFB0950B.jpeg
    C2C5FB8B-8501-4F50-822A-F2A4BFB0950B.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 26C1BC5D-60F6-44CD-B963-F8CFE9B44F3A.jpeg
    26C1BC5D-60F6-44CD-B963-F8CFE9B44F3A.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 141

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your nitrate level?
Chaeto needs elements too. What is your water change routine? Do you dose anything like Chaetogro?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cheato likes flow.
I use a small tunze powerhead in my sump to create that flow.
I use the round design of the tunze because it doesn't have a small section area to clog fast.
It will eventually clog but that's just part of my weekly maintenance.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your nitrate level?
Chaeto needs elements too. What is your water change routine? Do you dose anything like Chaetogro?
Nitrates are usually around 5-10. I found in my system that they follow phosphate up and down. Since they are difficult to test for accurately I just use phosphate as an overall measure of how much nutrients are in the tank. I'm pretty sure it's not an issue of not enough nutrients as the chaeto always grows like crazy when I first put it in, the problem is that it just gets overwhelmed by the other algae and gets covered and dies.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheato likes flow.
I use a small tunze powerhead in my sump to create that flow.
I use the round design of the tunze because it doesn't have a small section area to clog fast.
It will eventually clog but that's just part of my weekly maintenance.
That's exactly what I did. Before adding the power head, I had the same issue with pest algae choking out the macro.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a refugium could be used as an algae scrubber. Cyno or GHA it’s nutrient export. If your tangs eat GHA then it’s nutrient recycling.

With respect to nuisance algae out competing chaeto, consider trace mineral limitation. As a rule, nuisance algae thrives better with reduced nutrients due to lack of competition. Leave lights off, seed refugium with pods and wait three months. Depending on your system and water change schedule, I suspect your trace minerals are schewed. I also suspect your DOC ishigh. For that I recommend you use GAC. However, the use of GAC depletes certain trace minerals, so use it sparingly.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a refugium could be used as an algae scrubber. Cyno or GHA it’s nutrient export. If your tangs eat GHA then it’s nutrient recycling.

With respect to nuisance algae out competing chaeto, consider trace mineral limitation. As a rule, nuisance algae thrives better with reduced nutrients due to lack of competition. Leave lights off, seed refugium with pods and wait three months. Depending on your system and water change schedule, I suspect your trace minerals are schewed. I also suspect your DOC ishigh. For that I recommend you use GAC. However, the use of GAC depletes certain trace minerals, so use it sparingly.
I tend to run GAC 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.
I change roughly 100L / week (1/15 volume). I’m staying away from large water changes since my dino outbreak. Based on everything everyone said I’m going to try to just let all nuisance algae grow wild in the sump. If it pulls the phosphates down then I’ll continue. If it doesn’t work I’ll try again with the Chaeto with a bunch of flow.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. Phosphate down to 0.16 from 0.25 3 days ago. I’m going to reduce the photoperiod from from 24 to 18h.
I tend to run GAC 2 weeks on 2 weeks off.
I change roughly 100L / week (1/15 volume). I’m staying away from large water changes since my dino outbreak. Based on everything everyone said I’m going to try to just let all nuisance algae grow wild in the sump. If it pulls the phosphates down then I’ll continue. If it doesn’t work I’ll try again with the Chaeto with a bunch of flow.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can remove the algae in order to export the nutrients, sure, it'll work great. You just need something that concentrates the nutrients into itself, that you can then remove.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it's been working well. My nutrients are staying steady around .1 (bw 0.09 and .13 over the last month). I'm running my fuge lights 24/7. Still have a bit of red slime algae around the aquarium which is annoying but it's not too bad. Just along some of the sand and on some low rocks that don't get the best flow. I'm strongly thinking about upping my protein skimmer game. I'm running one from D&D which I can't honestly say is doing a great job. Looking at the bubble kings.

OP
OP
JayinToronto

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Still trying to figure out the best way to manage this. Export is not the easiest. With Chaeto I'd just take out the scissors once a week and chop chop 1 minute later my nutrient export was done. This is a little more difficult. First off I have to skim the surface daily as there is a significant amount of snot that just floats up to the surface every day. Second, the glass surface was not the best for growing stable hair algae, so I added 4 pieces of Marco dry rock to the system. It provides a nice surface area for growing the algae. Now 4 weeks in I've decided to take one piece out a week and scrub it down to export the nutrients. See the pic from below.
Overall I'm not sure this approach is a good enough nutrient exporter. My phosphates are fluctuating between 1 and 2. I feel like it's just hanging on. I'm going to give it another month then report back.

On the positive note the slime fuge it providing a great home to a thriving copepod population. Tons of life in there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back