I'm going in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, so I have been running the Lightbars for a while just through the Profilux Light. My actual controller was the Apex Lite (no relation).

I haven't had any issues with the Neptune, but doing my research before diving in to a full fledged controller led to pick the GHL and I'm taking advantage of the Black Friday sale and have ordered a system.

I'm getting the Profilux 4 Mega Set and a Doser 2.1 to start (along with another Lightbar, Deep Actinic this time, and a couple of accessories.

So once they arrive (in a while with international shipping and all) I'll have plenty of questions for @Ditto and @Lasse and everyone (including @Vinny@GHLUSA of course). But in the meantime I'm re-reading the threads.

One thing I'm looking for that I can't seem to find is a post that one of you shared that layed out the sequence for updates out of the box? As in update this firmware first, them wifi then, then, then, etc...

Can anyone point me to that?

Cheers,
Tony

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the GHL club!! The support and community here is great!!

When you download the GCC desktop software your going to see firmware needs to be updated :)

I have done the P4 firmware first then the wireless and webpage upgrade.

Now what I have noticed is that usually when the GCC mobile app is updated a new esp will be posted which is the webpage/firmware package :)

Painless to do, except that you need to reinput your notification settings. They are aware of this issue and maybe it fixed in 1.20 release which came out a few days ago.

And as for running the beta firmware or the release before firmware I have been running the beta versions since I have been using the devices and yet to encounter any issues :)

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the GHL club!! The support and community here is great!!

When you download the GCC desktop software your going to see firmware needs to be updated :)

I have done the P4 firmware first then the wireless and webpage upgrade.

Now what I have noticed is that usually when the GCC mobile app is updated a new esp will be posted which is the webpage/firmware package :)

Painless to do, except that you need to reinput your notification settings. They are aware of this issue and maybe it fixed in 1.20 release which came out a few days ago.

And as for running the beta firmware or the release before firmware I have been running the beta versions since I have been using the devices and yet to encounter any issues :)
Thanks

Definitely looking forward to it. I have been able to fiddle around with GCC a bit with the GHL Light. It is the only way to connect to that. I don't mind it at all. If you're used to Windows programs then it feels familiar.

I am looking forward to the app though.

Cheers, Tony

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use zip ties as a insurance only to make sure everything is tight and it also looks good.

As for what type of tubing I use on the 2.1 dozers I use silcone tubing because I like the ease of pushing it up onto the connectors I am also using 1/8” dosing tubeing as it seems to work well with the push connectors also.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Tub...rd_wg=pAVDJ&psc=1&refRID=F1D0232Q895X69X6MTSZ
Great, thanks very much. I've ordered some of that tubing.

I've also ordered some Rj45 to connect the Lightbars upstairs to the ProfiLux downstairs.

All I need now is the actual equipment!

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's alive!

IMG_20181220_150909.jpg

With thanks to @Cristina@GHLUSA and @Marco@GHLUSA. (and thanks in advance to @Ditto and @Lasse for the innumerable questions I'll be asking).

I'll do a proper post about setting it up, calibrating etc... once I'm done overin my build thread.

Very happy with it so far.

Cheers, Tony

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Cheating a bit by asking about my next order before posting about setting everything that I have up (which I do plan to do soon).

But I'm going to put in another order in the next month or so and would appreciate your thoughts.

First off, I'm going to add an ATO setup. I figure I'll go with the standard set up of two level sensors and a doser from an ATO reservoir. My first question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of optical vs float for the sensor? Most I see (if they have two) use an optical for the min and float for the max but why is that? The optical is a fair bit more expensive but I assume that there's an advantage. Also want to confirm the bits needed.

I'll also be getting another power bar to manage a couple of other bits. And I'll order a Maxi doser for the ATO and couple of replacement heads for the 2.1 (as apparently they last around 6 months?).

So:
ATO
Advantages/disadvantages of optical vs float level sensors?
What cables / mounts / expansion cards are required?

Leak detector
What cables / mounts / expansion cards are required?

Doser
How accurate is the six month lifespan for heads?
What should I look for to know they are nearing end of life?

Thanks in advance @Marco@GHLUSA and @Vinny@GHLUSA (et al). I know that you guys would answer all of these quickly in an email, but I figured this might be helpful for others as well.

Cheers,
Tony

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both running (optical and float) on my aquariums and both work good.

I am doing 3 sensors, two for ATO and AWC and one other for the high water.

For the two ATO and AWC I went with the optical and the high level I went with a float switch.

Do you know plan on going with two or three sensors?

Are you already using the level switch ports?

You have two ports already on your controller.
With a Y cable you can (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/pl-ly/) control up to 4 (float/leak/flow monitor).

If you need more then 4 ports then you can purchase a (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/plm-4level/)

Leak detectors require two things:

The leak interface (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/leakinterface/)

This also plugs into a level port :)

After you have the leak interface plugged in you cane plug up to two leak detectors into it.

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/leakage-sensor/

As for my doser 2.1I recalibrate them every 3 months. The maxi not at all on the awc or ato it just the intital calibration.

OP
OP
Tristren

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Ditto

I'm ready to order now. Am I covered off with the list below for an ATO, AWC and leak detection?

I'll note that for the AWC I was planning on just running it to take out X on pump 1 and add X on pump 2 as opposed to using the level sensors... How do you have yours set up?

And how are your sensors set up physically? Where in the system? Using the holder and fasteners?

Cheers, Tony

2 Maxi Dosers plus:

PL-Floater Level Sensor, Floater

PL-Optolevel Level Sensor, optical

PL-LF-Base2 Level Sensor Holder Base Unit
PL-LF-S8 Level Sensor Fastener

PL-LF-S12-angled Level Sensor Fastener, angled

PL-LY – Splitter Cable for Level Sensors

Leakage Interface Leakage Interface

Leak Sensor Leakage Sensor

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sensors mounted to octo lids sensor mounts on one tank and the other tank I have used the GHL sensor holders.

I have found the optical sensors better for the awc change as the variation can be fine tuned more when it comes to adjusting how much water you want to remove.

My sensors for high water sensor is next to my skimmer chamber.

My ato and awc sensors are in the return pump section.

I would order another Y cable (splitter for the level port) even thou your using three Level port sensors putting the Y cable on the other port will give you the ability to easy add a 4th sensor in the future.

And it been rock solid I have this going now for over a year and 1/2 without any issues. The maxi has been rock solid very happy with it.

I have a leak detector YouTube video almost done also :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back