OP
M

Megumi05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I found a tall, clear, mostly flat sided storage container I wasn't storing much in (just 2 items), so I tossed the items up on an empty shelf and setup the container as a QT. It's just tall enough to fit my 30G Marineland spare filter using just the U tube and the intake strainer. I cut a hole in the snap on lid so it fits around it nicely. Tossed in an easily accessible piece of live from from the DT, a clump of plastic plants, a little tall statue in the corner, and filled it up half way with water from the main tank. It's only 5 gallons and ain't pretty but it'll get the job done. The 15G is already setup and being used as a QT for the larger FW tank. I'll be buying schools of fish at a time for that tank but only 1 or 2 fish at a time for the SW so it makes sense to use the larger available QT for the larger, more heavily stocked tank.

OP
OP
M

Megumi05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I did a quick search and seems people use Fenbendazole successfully in SW tanks. Not safe for soft corals or inverts but I knew that. Some fish stress, as with any medication, but nothing else noted as far as use on fish only as I use it. Also, what I read was for liquid dosage of the entire tank which has obviously to me been rougher on tanks. I'll be using my powered Fenbendazole followed by PraziPro (after some water changes of course) as my de-worming treatment on my SW fish same as I do with my FW fish. Inverts will be treated with the Prazipro exclusively. Is Formalin, Menthanol, and Malachite Green all invert (even if not coral) safe? I was going to buy the ICH-X your one article suggested for SW. I want to use it as a dip/bath while the livestock is still in the bag. Can I use it on my crabs and snails too?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HumblefishInverts will be treated with the Prazipro exclusively. Is Formalin, Menthanol, and Malachite Green all invert (even if not coral) safe? I was going to buy the ICH-X your one article suggested for SW. I want to use it as a dip/bath while the livestock is still in the bag. Can I use it on my crabs and snails too?

I would NOT USE ANY MEDICATIONS in the presence of corals/inverts. Only Prazipro in the DT if you happen to get flukes in there. Food soaking metro/antibiotics (for the benefit of your fish) is also an acceptable risk in certain situations.

OP
OP
M

Megumi05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish In FW I usually put in the fish store bag after the float 1-3 drops of a product containing: water, neomycin sulfate (<10%), methylene blue (<0.5%), proprietary polymer mixture, buffers, EDTA (chelating agent), malachite green chloride (<0.01%), cyanocobalamin (B vit) and electrolytes. You may know this mix as Bio-Bandage. This is a low dose at this rate and the mixture is pretty watered down already. I just searched all the ingredients individually and they all are both saltwater and invert safe at low doses. I would not use it in the presence of corals or softer bodied inverts (like worms) though. I use as a dip (approx 10 min.) only and have used it on FW shrimps. I've had problems with it in FW during prolonged use only (greater than a week). I love this stuff because I can buy it in small amounts that come in a drip squeeze container. Best though is that this stuff is hits bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections all in one while boosting immunity with vitamins and electrolytes. It's such a low concentration that it's not good for treatment after you have a break out of something but it makes a good preventative. Guess I am going to use this then for my dip for SW too as it's worked well for me in FW as a preventative dip (seriously since using this stuff when fish come in I haven't seen any ich or columnaris, both of which are common in new arrivals from the moving stress).

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%

Back