IM Nuvo 20 gallon (First Timer) Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thanks for having so much knowledge on these forum posts. I recently got the interest from a friend that has been running hers for awhile now. It was fun seeing her add all the things and watching her tank flourish. The pretty colors.

I needed something in my life to keep my mind busy.

I purchased my tank as the bundle package as well as a RO/DI from BRS. They have been great thus far. My hats off to them. I then bought those inTank racks which seemed to be a wise choice.

I got everything ready for Wednesday after work to add the water on 11/21/18 .

This is my current setup and my initial test after i added the Dr.Tims. Its been 8 hours since the add of water. I did my tests.

My questions are.. During my tests i need to wait for a high Ammonia spike? Because it looks pretty low after 8 hours. Nitrites seem low and Nitrates a little high.

Everything seem good thus far? Do i need to add that shrimp trick ?

Sorry for the sideways photos and the Nitrate test picture being our of place. I have zero idea how to forum post. : /
Test3.jpg
Fish1.jpg
Fish2.jpg
Fish3.jpg
Fish4.jpg
Fish5.jpg
Test1.jpg Test2.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any thing to get the cycle started? Pure ammonia or the old shrimp trick? If you haven't added an ammonia source yet your cycle hasn't started... you are looking for an ammonia spike and it wouldn't appear if you haven't added a source of ammonia:)

You have added bacteria (Dr. Tims) which is awesome, now you just need to give them some food to grow and multiply

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Nearly 24 hours since i have added the shrimp to my tank. I got these readings. It looks to have a rise in Ammonia as it should be. No spike in nitrites yet.
test4.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 2 after cycling: Tank is getting a little more cloudy. Just standard from what i see. Having some issues getting to the correct temperature from the heater Bulk Reef Supply sent me. It was a very nice looking 50w .
209915-finnex-titanium-heater-hmc-200s-a-new-box-title.jpg
But dont think its getting the job done. Would it be wise to turn up the heat rather than leaving it at 78, so it distributes the water into the tank better? Heat probe is in the compartment where the pump is. Or just buy a stronger heater?

Testing is showing more signs of Ammonia. yay! test5.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to add a shrimp right now! Thank you.

Cycling starts now.

Welcome to R2R Synner Reef. It's always cool to see a tank with all new everything. The dry rock you have is nice and a good formation going.

I applaud you for using the 'shrimp method' versus cycling a tank with a fish. Shows great respect not wanting to put a fish through a torturous process. I would suggest cutting the end of a pair of pantyhose to place the shrimp in for easy removal. It works well and doesn't leave the rotting shrimp sliming out into your system.

Down the line, if your return pump fails or just not the flow you like the IM20's and 25lagoons do great with an MJ1200. You'd be surprised how much better the flow in your tank would be.

It is obvious you've done your homework and all is really turning out nicely.

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome ,Captain. Yes i was following along a friends build and i got interested in the hobby. She has helped get me started on my way. I believe it will be fun and hope to stick with it for many years to come. I have read throughout the forums and i learn best by watching. YouTube has been helpful regarding that.

I looked at those pumps after you had mentioned it. I may pick up 1 with all the sales happening. Is it best to get 2 pumps? Also considering the same brand heater because i really don't think the one i have is cutting it.

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 after starting cycle. Everything seems to be on schedule. Thinking about removing the shrimp and adding a new one in. And dressing him up in pantyhose. ;) I fiddled with the thermometer i have. Turned it up and its still having a hard time reaching correct temps. May turn it up more. Noticed water evaporates quite fast. Its so dry in Arizona i imagine this is the culprit. I did a salinity test just to be sure it was still ok. SeemsGood ;Woot
test6.jpg
salinity.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome ,Captain. Yes i was following along a friends build and i got interested in the hobby. She has helped get me started on my way. I believe it will be fun and hope to stick with it for many years to come. I have read throughout the forums and i learn best by watching. YouTube has been helpful regarding that.

I looked at those pumps after you had mentioned it. I may pick up 1 with all the sales happening. Is it best to get 2 pumps? Also considering the same brand heater because i really don't think the one i have is cutting it.

Yes. I could tell you've been studying and that is way cool.

You'll only need one and use the split to the two returns. You might want to grab a length of tubing the same size to ensure a proper seated fit of the MJ-1200. I promise you will like the flow over the stock pump.

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 5: Cyber Monday got me. But that's o.k! I picked up a few goodies and a Skimmer for later use. I believe the skimmer will help in the long run of this ecosystem. I stayed up with the guys last night from Bulk Reef Supply doing their giveaways. All thou i didn't win , it was very generous of them to do what they did. So much money given back to their clientele. Thank you BRS! I'm starting to see a bit more Nitrites . Not much movement yet on the Nitrates. Been considering adding another bottle of Dr.Tim's. What ya think guys? Doesn't hurt i read. Shrimp is still tangling in the water giving off Ammonia. Pantyhose sock is giving off a white outer edge. Assuming that's just junk from the decay.
test8.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 6: I removed my creepy Avatar. :p I have used that avatar for gaming for more years than i can count. For some reason it must associate my email with the it and the forums. Most people call me Cardinal online or Card. Hence why i chose the Cardinal fish as the new one. Today's readings look very similar to day 5's. Maybe slightly more Nitrate. This time i placed the vial behind the white instead of being translucent with no background. Seems easier to read with the white in the back. I removed the shrimp. It started to float on the surface.This has been the second shrimp i have added to the tank. I imagine there is enough Ammonia in the water because it still hasn't broken down yet. I have no clue what i am doing. I am completely winging it. :eek: I hope this is ok on the forums. I'm kind of using this as a journal. If anyone has a suggestion let me know. Looking forward to see what next mornings readings are. I guess this is when the patience of the hobby starts. :cool:

Thank you.
test9.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 7: Went to the store to pick up some BIO-Spira. Decided to test my parameters after work last night before i added this new bacteria and got the result of this first picture. Nitrates are rising. Now the results after waking up this morning. 7 hours later.Is the second image. Ammonia dropped. So bacteria decided to feast! looking to see results of day 8. I believe i should do a water change when i see Ammonia and Nitrites drop to almost back to 0. Thats my understanding.
test10.jpg
test11.jpg

OP
OP
Synner Reef

Synner Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8: My new hardware came in. I ordered a Cobalt 100w heater and the Cobalt MJ1200. WOW, That pump barely fit into the back end of the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon. But it did! Let me tell you. Its quiet!! Pushing water a lot better too with that flow. Thank you Capt. Quint. Nice choice. Did my testing for day 8 and Ammonia levels are decreasing.
test12.jpg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 8: My new hardware came in. I ordered a Cobalt 100w heater and the Cobalt MJ1200. WOW, That pump barely fit into the back end of the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 gallon. But it did! Let me tell you. Its quiet!! Pushing water a lot better too with that flow. Thank you Capt. Quint. Nice choice. Did my testing for day 8 and Ammonia levels are decreasing.
test12.jpg

Yes, I knew an MJ1200 would be a tight fit but the flow hopefully made it worth the swap. Good to see your ammonia dropping and thanks for sharing the updates.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good and Welcome to R2R. You'll want to get an ATO to avoid the salinity swings and implement the skimmer after you cycle is done. Are you running your light during the cycle? It would be best not to in order to avoid nuisance algae growth. Keep up the good work. Once Ammonia reaches zero you will want to perform that water change.

welcome.gif

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back