IM Nuvo 38gal start-up

N2GBR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm posting this start-up as I'm returning to the Reef community and just starting this new to me Innovative Marine 38Gal tank.

Looking for interesting comments and feedback as I get back into the hobby.

My initial plan once the tank is cycled is to follow the RedSea regimen for Fish Only with Live Rock and once stabilized make this a tank for Easy fish and Softies.
Bought this Innovative Marine Nuvo 38Gal tank with a bunch of Accessories for $240
2019-09-12 19.18.14 (Small).jpg

Leak test was successful and all the Silicon looks good.
Picked up 30lbs of CaribSea rock and glued together a rock formation, then added about 12lbs of Aragonite.
2019-09-18 18.11.38 (Small).jpg

2019-09-19 17.19.23 (Small).jpg

.... now on my DIY stand... filled with RO/DI water and at 1.024 salinity... frozen shrimp added yesterday 09/19/19 Day zero

First issue (#1): without a heater its at 82F.... the tank is in my basement, by my office where the temp in around 70F.... therefore the "heat" is coming from the circulation pump.... should I be switching out this old one for a DC pump? any thoughts there?

Second issue (#2): ATO; best approach for ATO on this type of tank? I'm considering the Innovative marine ATO system... any thoughts there.

Thanks All /// Richard // N2GBR
Murrysville, PA

Last edited:

Nanoreefer4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use Xp aqua duetto ato or icecap ato. They're both pretty good and precise. Put couple fans around the tank and unplug the heater

OP
OP
N

N2GBR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[update on Issue #1]
Heater had been unplugged already and its now only down to 81F... there is also a large fan moving air generally in the area... that made no difference.... the heat has to be coming from that rather noisy return pump.. I'll have to put that on my list for replacement in the next few weeks. While the tank is cycling, I doubt it will make any difference what the water temp is ?

OP
OP
N

N2GBR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved the temperature issue and used a simple float valve ATO for a couple of days.... but I made a purchase and ordered the "Reef Breeders Exo-ATO" after reading some further reviews of ATO's on the market... umm lots of upset customers complaining about failures and poor customer service....

And I started dosing with the Red Sea Coraline-Gro 6ml to start with.

10G Quarantine tank equipment is all in hand now, So I'm contemplating starting that tank with BIO-Spira and getting a couple of fish (very small) in there for the next few weeks while the 38G continues the cycle with the rock/sand.

OP
OP
N

N2GBR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked out three nice Blue/Green Chromis and they are settling into the 10G Quarantine tank now. I used a full bottle of Biro-Spira and added a few pieces of PVC for shelter.
I also added a half dose of Cupramine.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back