I'm pretty sure this is flukes, now what?

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sailfin tang that was introduced to my tank and FW dipped it and was 95% sure it had flukes. That was 2 weeks ago. Tonight I came home to these spots on several of my fish.

I'll never catch these guys without tearing apart the tank so guessing prazi in my SPS tank is the next move?

The bad part is I have 3 tangs in quarantine ready to introduce in a week or so.

IMG_1063.JPG

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember Prazipro can cause a die off of snails, feather dusters, and similar worms and if you happen to have a unknown community of bristle worms they won't make it either. Could be a nasty die off and a real mess with your water quality.

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize it could kill snails. I can remove them to my QT for the time being.

They're not as difficult to catch...

Will flukes kill fish if left untreated?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those do appear to be skin flukes. Do they move around or stay in the same exact spot?

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if they move. This is the first night I've spotted them and I usually stare at the tank for a while each night. Is this something I have time to decide which course of action to take? I know my corals won't like the Prazi treatment at first but I may have little choice.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize it could kill snails. I can remove them to my QT for the time being.

They're not as difficult to catch...

Will flukes kill fish if left untreated?
Not all snails. Usually they are ok. But it has happened. Prazi is supposed to be reef safe. But as usual, your mileage can vary.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes can kill fish if left untreated. Maybe not as quickly as velvet or brook, but eventually they get overwhelmed and infections set in.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sailfin tang that was introduced to my tank and FW dipped it and was 95% sure it had flukes. That was 2 weeks ago. Tonight I came home to these spots on several of my fish.

I'll never catch these guys without tearing apart the tank so guessing prazi in my SPS tank is the next move?

The bad part is I have 3 tangs in quarantine ready to introduce in a week or so.

IMG_1063.JPG

Get a couple bottles of biospira just in case you have a die off that cause a ammonia spike.

OP
OP
G

gobble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home tonight and those white spots are gone from both of the fish that had them last night. Do I still dose the Prazi? I haven't yet.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home tonight and those white spots are gone from both of the fish that had them last night. Do I still dose the Prazi? I haven't yet.
My experience was that prazi pro was reef safe in my mixed tank. It’s the only medication I’ve ever put it my tank. As Big G said though, your mileage may vary!

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would still treat as those spots aren’t sand or anything normal, also Skin flukes are known to move.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.1%
Back