I'm quitting keeping salt water fish

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty much a venting post, sorry. A little history, I've been keeping salt water fish for 1 year and I feel the stress of it is way more then the fun of keeping salt water. My water params have always been completely stable and normal. Even down to the phosphates my water was almost perfect. I took time and money to get expensive and very good water. I took months to cycle my aquarium and make literally everything perfect as I could. Through out my journey I took hundreds of hours researching on how make everything the best I could for my fish. Even after all of this half of my coral has died, and half of my fish have died with no reason at all. No water fluxuations or shocks or really anything that could cause something like that. Also recently out of the blue green hair alge has taken over my tank taking at least an hour of work a week to fight it back to keep it from killing my remaining coral. Then today the final nail in the coffin stuck. My favorite fish a figi pufferfish as completely disappeared. I looked over all the rocks and he didn't come out for feeding so I am assuming the worst. This fish was almost like a little water puppy dog and to not have him anymore really hurts. I cant keep doing this and taking hundreds of hours just to watch my pets die. Not to mention that ive lost almost $500 in fish coral and having to buy recommended supply's that didn't even help. I'm finishing my salt water journey sadly and I will deeply miss the fish I currently have. Ive raised most of them from 1/2 inch to 2-3. Seeing them grow and then giving them away will be heart breaking. Thank you to this community for all the help you've given me to try and help me through this but Im done. If any of you know any forms for fresh water fish I would be grateful for the recommendation!

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first year is the worst with a vertical learning curve. You say perfect water parameters but what are we talking about what are your water levels. With algae there has to be a lack of nutrients that things cannot out compete the algae. If you go to the LFS for advice you have to remember they are there to sell you stuff. Before tossing in the towel lets see if we can help.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry bro my heart goes out to you. Been doing this seems like forever with mostly ups and some downs so I get it. But the passion and desire has never left me and I can read your passion for your fish in your post. So if we can let us help you put that passion into that tank and we'll help the best we know how man.
If not. Peace.
Joel

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our failures lead to our success. Going to hard and fast can be detrimental. Quarantining everything is key. Really now a days and being patient it’s ok don’t give up. Do your research abs in the end the result will be amazing

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear about your struggles and as Denny mentioned the first year is definitely the hardest. My recommending is to consider saving some of your purchases as you very well may be back. Or, burn it down (so to speak) and start a-new. Longer version below.

My second tank (2008-2010 or 11) was a mess with HA, every pest known to the aquarium, macro blooms of almost every type, Dinos, Cyano, etc. I never experienced this in my first tank, but I had no LR in that tank and it was the age of under gravel filters. It was a losing battle and I assumed that the rock was just too filled with phosphates. The only fish that survived was a yellow damsel that was a mean sucker that refused to die. In hindsight, even then I desperately trying to save the tank by trying new things (vodka dosing, H2O2, DYI Algae scrubbers, refugium, new skimmers, scrubbing rock ,removing the sand bed, etc) instead of asking for guided help. Of course, R2R was not around and another site was popular then.

I broke down the tank, started over, in a new tank and then moved my corals over without even a cycle. Everything was much happier - until a 2 month power outage and ultimately gas shortages 8 or so months later. My point is learn from what worked or did not work or reflect up on what your experiences were. I will admit that my HA issues started with a change in family and 4-6 months of bad husbandry. Specifically, 5G WC every 2-4 weeks for an approximate 44G of water. This was compounded with filter socks that were rarely changed and reduced fish feeding in hopes of calming the algae.

As mentioned, soon after a few select pieces of LR were saved, scrubbed, cleaned, and then the rest went in a brute to be cooked followed by a SW soak what ended up being 8 years. I still had everything minus the tank and much of that was re-used on my new tank.

Good luck!

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can imagine this would've been pretty hard losing the favourite.
I bought a Naoko's Wrasse around a month back I think, was my favourite fish, so bright and colourful and entertaining watching it swim in and out of the rockwork etc. Only half a week of having it, it jumped out on me and landed in the sump, whilst I got it back into the tank really quickly, it clearly must've suffered some injury and within a day it was dead. Was pretty down about it for a couple of days and that was only a fish I'd just got, let alone one I'd had a long time.

Maybe see if everyone here can help you out with getting your tank back on the right track. Hope you find the motivation again to persevere but I can understand if you need a break.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a few have said, the first year or two is a steep curve, and this is when many lose interest because of frustration. I'd encourage you to stick with it, but I think your mind is made up most part. Best of luck with the freshwater if that is the new direction

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing this for 10yrs or so i can tell you its not for everyone. Ive seen ppl come and go. Ppl think they can sell.coral. ect.
Seen sps 300g tanks go to fw.
Take care and get the best joy you can from your home aquarium. Again i am sorry.
D

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry bro my heart goes out to you. Been doing this seems like forever with mostly ups and some downs so I get it. But the passion and desire has never left me and I can read your passion for your fish in your post. So if we can let us help you put that passion into that tank and we'll help the best we know how man.
If not. Peace.
Joel
Thanks, My passion isn't leaving I'm just moving so a diffent sector. Ive always been on the fence of if I should have gone with salt water or fresh and I feel that I will be able to enjoy the hobby more with a fresh water tank. Whats the point of continuing something you don't love if it just causes you to be stressed.
Can be brutal this hobby.
Give it break, maybe regroup down the road.
I was going to switch the tank over to fresh water and then mabey in the future start up again

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve said that more than few times
7 years later Fun time
I get that, I've already said that myself a few times but the fun times kept me here. But at this point in time I don't feel the stress of this tank outweighs the fun anymore. In the future I may be back on that track of rebuilding a salt water tank.

OP
OP
R

ruger11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you getting "very expensive water" you really want to make you own so you are in control. I have seen some very expensive LFS water be junk.
I can't afford an RO system so I was buying RO water from my LFS and I also checked there TDS to make sure it was good. $7 for 5 gallons was the best price I could find near me so at this point finically it no longer makes sense. In hind sight I should have just got an RO system when I started.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to learn about your decision. This hobby is heartbreaking at times- for all of us. In particular it’s sad to see you leave as you genuinely seem to care about your pets. I am still wondering if you are able to maybe just take one step back, to give up on corals for a while, enjoy a fish only display for a while, go a bit chemical with Fluconazole before kicking this hobby. Whatever you decide, all the best to you, your fish had the best keeper they could ever hope for.

speedstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't afford an RO system so I was buying RO water from my LFS and I also checked there TDS to make sure it was good. $7 for 5 gallons was the best price I could find near me so at this point finically it no longer makes sense. In hind sight I should have just got an RO system when I started.
thats nuts i have never saw it higher than .39 a gallon. But I am in michigan so maybe that is why great lakes n all.

Hope you enjoy the freshwater ventures. Have fun!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back