I'm wanting a mixed reef can any of you help?!

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a list of corals soft or Lps that would flow well in a 29 gallon mixed reef I'm gonna have a six line wrasse and maybe a goby so throw some cool unique corals down there and try to make them things I haven't ever seen dont say spas I'll be putting those all through out and yeah just give me picks of yours if you can!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! You'll have lots of good options! Can I ask a few questions before making some suggestions?

Will this be your first time keeping corals?

What is your flow going to be like?

What are you using for lighting?

Do you have anything you like better? (For instance, I like a lot of the colors in acans and chalices, but I'm not having great luck with those. I have seen that my tank does great with montis, zoas, and some LPS...also do you like large coral colonies or large LPS pieces?)

What kind of budget are you planning? Do you want the pricier stuff, or would you prefer more of the lower budget stuff?

A 29 has so many options! Great choice of tanks!

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with mdbannister. We need to know a few specifics first. I have a 29 and run it as a mixed reef with a medium to high amount of flow and 4 24 watt t5 fixture.
I keep sps (montis and pocillipora) lps (candy canes and duncans) and softies (mushrooms, zoas and xenia). I'm not to sure how well the touchier types of sps like acroporas would do in my tank, but I might try some in the future.

OP
OP
Tank.Bro!

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have kept corals in the past but not extremely successfully.my flow is going to differ. I'm thinking have two moralists on timers each for 10 min and they would switch back and forth or to mimic tide going in and out.. I have a moderate budget I have all filtration and things but for corals I'm looking for few sps many Lps and a quantity of sifted so I want a soft or Lps dominate reef I like large formed of Softies but smaller colonies of Lps.

OP
OP
Tank.Bro!

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm have Chinese LEDs 120 watt 18 inch off the tank due to the fact that when it was closer I killed corals I had it at 13 inches. I also want to say I like to keep think cheap but rare with corals like sympodium or plates that my Lps puts on sale now you can give me pricier thing because my lfs gives me deal due to the fact that I am a fervent customer and only 13 I know my stuff for being this young!

OP
OP
Tank.Bro!

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I know you guys say light is too high powered but it only runs at 60-80% power unless at night it runs 30 watt blues and actinic so yeah my light are not the issue and can you recommend canister filtration to get I'm debating on some keep them under $80 I will use eBay as I usually do. I run at 1.024 salinity and 8.4 ph my calcium is like usually 390 if I can keep it there it moves a lot and I keep phosphates at I think like 1 on my scale

Thivo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a list of corals soft or Lps that would flow well in a 29 gallon mixed reef I'm gonna have a six line wrasse and maybe a goby so throw some cool unique corals down there and try to make them things I haven't ever seen dont say spas I'll be putting those all through out and yeah just give me picks of yours if you can!

I do also have same size tank and wanting to put some corals... its nice that you started a thread like this asking some recommendations... I will follow this thread and read some advice...

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light isn't too powerful, just make sure you place less light demanding corals at the bottom.
I would suggest starting with Zoas and Mushroons until your parameters become stable, then get some easy to keep LPS.

I would avoid Bubble and Galaxeas, because they sting other corals, grow fast and will take up a lot of space for a small tank.
I would also avoid Elegances and Gonioporas, until you get more experienced, because the demand more attention.

The ones I would start with are Hammers, Cushions, Open brains (trachyphyllia) and Acans.

Cheers,

OP
OP
Tank.Bro!

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but I want to say that I have been in the hobbies for 3 ish years so I do have quite a handle on things but thanks for the recommendations

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been a fan of acan in the sand bed and softy/LPS mix of swaying corals. Zoas & palys are great. I like the endless color combos that zoas and acans have to choose from.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hammers and frogspawn can be found for not crazy money and look great swaying around. My bubble only puts out short sweepers and looks pretty cool. Some photosynthetic gorgs are nice too, corky fingers can be found in purple and have lots of movement and really long polyps.

Get a branching hammer/frogspawns not walled. You can easily frag those to keep the size OK in a 29 - just snap off a branch. Most of my friends have frags of mine when I was keeping it in a 14biocube.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back