Important question about copper

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm replacing my quarantine tank that I had treated only one time with copper, I want to get snails and hermits. My question is, I have a piece of live rock in there, can I reuse that in the new tank or does it forever have copper that can kill my snails etc?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm replacing my quarantine tank that I had treated only one time with copper, I want to get snails and hermits. My question is, I have a piece of live rock in there, can I reuse that in the new tank or does it forever have copper that can kill my snails etc?
The rock would have absorbed the copper so i would toss it and use different bacteria source or cook it and start over with that piece.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock would have absorbed the copper so i would toss it and use different bacteria source or cook it and start over with that piece.

Thanks, I'll toss it. Sucks though, because it's the last thing from my old tank, a nice purple rock, great for cycling! But the filter should still be good enough....wait, is the filter media safe? How bad is copper?
It's just a hang on the back filter, nothing fancy.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone apparently will abaorb copper too. If you use ut acud wash it to remove any residual copper.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone apparently will abaorb copper too. If you use ut acud wash it to remove any residual copper.
I have an entirely new tank, I'm getting rid of the old one. All I have is the filter with media and heater. The suction cups that hold these in place though, I wonder if they're a problem. Will filter media, the media bag etc. hold copper?

I've never used copper before...I didn't even quarantine my fish prior to that either! I guess I was lucky!

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an entirely new tank, I'm getting rid of the old one. All I have is the filter with media and heater. The suction cups that hold these in place though, I wonder if they're a problem. Will filter media, the media bag etc. hold copper?

I've never used copper before...I didn't even quarantine my fish prior to that either! I guess I was lucky!

Yes I would just start over with new bacteria. You could bleach the old tank as well.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would just start over with new bacteria. You could bleach the old tank as well.
I'm thinking of just replacing everything, entirely new! The old tank is going out on the curb for free, with a copper warning, it was $20, when Petco has their $1 per gallon sale every year :)

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back