Impossible dream?

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to make a mini reef. I love how intricate they are and all the work that is required. The problem is.. I live in an apartment and there is a good chance I will need to move in the next year or two once I'm done with school. Are salt water tanks too delicate for this and should I put my dream on hold till someday in the distant future I have a permanent place?

OP
OP
B

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks good point! I am one of those people that tries to learn everything before undergoing a project like this but there is a TON of information out there and it is a tad overwhelming. Any suggestions on a starting out point? And thank you again I am very excited about this endeavor

Trev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting any of the tanks with built-in filtration chambers, as they are easier to manage as a starter tank. Stick with soft corals and large polyps stony (lps) and you can be quite successful.

Avoid the temptation to add too many fish, as that would cause more issues down the road, i.e. bioload, nutrient export, protein skimmer, and overall maintenance.

Also, please go to one of our club auctions. It's a good place to meet other hobbyists and buy corals at reasonable prices, particularly when you are starting out with an empty slate.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks good point! I am one of those people that tries to learn everything before undergoing a project like this but there is a TON of information out there and it is a tad overwhelming. Any suggestions on a starting out point? And thank you again I am very excited about this endeavor

BRS 52 Weeks of reefing is a great YouTube series with a ton of info. I’d suggest hunting around to see if you can find like a used innovative marine 20 gallon tank. It’s a great starter tank.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, Reef tanks can be as big or small as you would like. There are articles where people have done very successful reefs in a one gallon vase.... No filtration whatsoever... That said, I wouldn't suggest that route for a novice, but..
Couple of things to think of so you can be as successful as possible.
1) bigger IS better, but with proper planning, a tank as small as 20 gallons +/- is a great place to start.
2) there is no reason whatsoever to break the bank when starting out. Local clubs, for sale forums here on R2R, Craigslist, etc can be a gold mine when looking for gear.
3) GO SLOW and ask LOTS of questions. There are tons of people here and on other forums who would love to help with newbie questions..
4) Go to a local Reefing/Saltwater Aquarium Club. There are lots around. I know with mine, and probably most others, ANYONE can come and sit in.

OP
OP
B

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend getting any of the tanks with built-in filtration chambers, as they are easier to manage as a starter tank. Stick with soft corals and large polyps stony (lps) and you can be quite successful.

Avoid the temptation to add too many fish, as that would cause more issues down the road, i.e. bioload, nutrient export, protein skimmer, and overall maintenance.

Also, please go to one of our club auctions. It's a good place to meet other hobbyists and buy corals at reasonable prices, particularly when you are starting out with an empty slate.
I think there is one in September I'm planning on going to
Hopefully I have some kind of set up by then but either way I'll check it outside

OP
OP
B

Bertle92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How important is a stand? I have a base from an old China cabinet. It used to have a large glass case and China in it so assuming it can hold a fair amount of weight.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand isn't that important, depending on the tank you have. A tank with a sump will need a stand with room underneath. An all-in-one tank will just need to be able to support your tank. Remember that these tanks are ~10lbs per gallon.

Back