Is anyone seeing a performance improvement with the new server infrastructure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I do, if it's faster the difference is subtle. I'd still love to see page load times in GHL Connect be comparable to a typical website, which requires transmission of far far more data than GHL Connect uses. Is that a pipe dream?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seldom work up against my GHL but to my local server. The improvements on this is huge. Now it goes very fast. I have also noticed that logbook and graphs works a lot faster than before.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I connect locally as well. And there's nothing wrong with my wifi. I believe you're in Germany? I wonder if that's the difference. You wouldn't think it would matter with a local connection but perhaps there is still some communication with the cloud servers and that's where the bottleneck is.

Are you iphone, or android?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mostly on a web browser (Chrome) - and I´m not in Germany - I am in Sweden. Before - local connection was slower than cloud connection. Now its much faster. Yes there is some parts that only is stored in the cloud - logbook and graphs. But even they works much better now. I tested local connection with my Android and its faster than before - but that´s also valid for the cloud.

Test a local connection if you are at home!

Sincerely Lasse

Lucas815

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had not seen any improvement, until there was an update for GHL Connect (Android) on February 13th.
Since this update, everything is blazing fast locally.

The same could not be said for the web interface, until last week. I opened a ticket, and Gaël from GHL support installed a new beta update for the web interface, which upgraded the web interface version to 3.26.5.

Since then, it still takes about 10 seconds to load the page after login, but after that, everything is pretty much instant.

I'm super happy with the performance now, and it's the 1st time since i've been a GHL user (almost 3 years) that I found the local performance really good.

Unfortunatly, I cannot say the same for myGHL.
It might be a bit better than before, but it's still FAR from being the same as local.
Note that i'm located in Canada, and I can assume that the servers are somewhere in Europe, so there's that whole "crossing the Atlantic" thing...

Then again, we're just talking about a couple seconds to load things, but in the last few years, we've been so accustomed to everything being instant that anything that takes a couple seconds to load becomes irritating.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its here

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mostly on a web browser (Chrome) - and I´m not in Germany - I am in Sweden. Before - local connection was slower than cloud connection. Now its much faster. Yes there is some parts that only is stored in the cloud - logbook and graphs. But even they works much better now. I tested local connection with my Android and its faster than before - but that´s also valid for the cloud.

Test a local connection if you are at home!

Sincerely Lasse
Aha! I hadn't noticed, but my local connections in GHL Connect were gone. I've been using MyGHL connections. I just added back local connections and they are indeed much faster. Thanks!

But the MyGHL connections should be virtually as fast, with my internet speed. And loading history is still pretty slow. Would either of these things improve if I installed the beta firmware update?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see much of a difference with the new server. Maybe a bit better, but still 15-30 seconds to fully load the dashboard.

Comparing "local" to myghl is kind of pointless. It would be one thing if the APP recognized the LAN and connected locally when it could, but who wants to switch back and forth every time they open the app?

Given the cost of hosting and bandwidth, this is just not something that is going to get better. I am optimistically waiting for the API to be finished so that I can finish my own dashboard and touch screens.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. The promise of an API was probably the biggest reason I chose GHL over Apex in the first place.

I'm still not on board, though, with the idea that bandwidth expense justifies this level of performance.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. The promise of an API was probably the biggest reason I chose GHL over Apex in the first place.

I'm still not on board, though, with the idea that bandwidth expense justifies this level of performance.
I am not happy about it, but it is what it is. Assume the hosting bill is thousands per month and doubling the cost will only provide modest improvement. I don’t see it getting better.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comparing "local" to myghl is kind of pointless. It would be one thing if the APP recognized the LAN and connected locally when it could, but who wants to switch back and forth every time they open the app?
Que?

When I start my app - it looks like this. No "switch back and forth every time they open the app" . I just chose which I want to open. Blue The local connection to my main computer. Black MyGHL connection to the same

1708988898320.png

Just uncheck always open this at app start

Sincerely Lasse

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kind of my point… I just want to open the app and it choose based on IP :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

But the bigger issue is the myghl speed. It is not going to improve and there is no use complaining. I just pray for a complete API so I can build my own.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit skeptical that server allocation is completely to blame for the slow performance. I vaguely remember somebody looking at the traffic with a packet sniffer, and seeing that there is an excessively chatty protocol here.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back