Impossible to attach mushroom to the stone

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello team,
I am new in reef tank hobby, got fits AIO 7 gallons tank. Cycled it, bought firts mushroom from local store.
i was trying to glue mushroom to the stone, but it work only for about 12hours. Seems that slippery mushroom surface is impossible to glue.. tried with wool- same result.
Tried with rubber dam. Maybe to much preassure, but now my coral is divided in 2 pieces..seems that band cut him..maybe try use other glue or put in where there isnt so much flow?‍
Firts photo 7pm, second 7am..
Thanks for advices

IMG_7523.jpeg IMG_7537.jpeg

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
attaching a loose shroom to a rock is very difficult if you have water movement pushing the shroom of the rock.
That is why some people will put in a shroom box and let the shroom settle on some large to medium course sand/ rocks then glue the course rock to the bigger rock.

here is a youtube video of something people try:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not glue soft corals, the glue restricts circulation and best case scenario they just detach and worst case scenario the base will die and get infected. Agree with above comment, get a container/basket with holes in it that will let light in and layer the bottom with some rubble. The mushroom should attach in a few days. Also watch for infection, when the tissue is damaged like in yours they are prone to infection and die-off

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for info, will check those mushroom "boxes"
Just a small plastic dish ( tupperware, empty food container, etc.) will work.
All you are trying to do is corral the mushroom in a small space until it settles down ( out of the tank flow) and attaches to sand or small rubble. Once it has sand attached to the bottom, that can be glued to your rockwork.

OP
OP
S

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small plastic dish ( tupperware, empty food container, etc.) will work.
All you are trying to do is corral the mushroom in a small space until it settles down ( out of the tank flow) and attaches to sand or small rubble. Once it has sand attached to the bottom, that can be glued to your rockwork.
So in this case that i broke my mushroom into 2 pieces using rubber band.. is it possible to "attach" those pieces or it is almost dead and 0 chances for him to survive?‍ Right now situation is this:

IMG_7563.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in this case that i broke my mushroom into 2 pieces using rubber band.. is it possible to "attach" those pieces or it is almost dead and 0 chances for him to survive?‍♂️ right now situation is this:

IMG_7563.jpeg
Corals can heal and recover from this. In this case it may become two new corals however it is prone to infection and disease, I'd give it an iodine dip to kill off any infection starting

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So in this case that i broke my mushroom into 2 pieces using rubber band.. is it possible to "attach" those pieces or it is almost dead and 0 chances for him to survive?‍ Right now situation is this:

IMG_7563.jpeg
Those green hairy mushrooms are pretty hardy.
Looks like they are trapped under that rock, which they may attach to right there.
And it looks like you have 2 separate mushrooms now.
I guess it's up to you if you want to move them to a container, and try and attach somewhere else.
I might give them a mild dip if I saw any fungus or rot starting.

OP
OP
S

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those green hairy mushrooms are pretty hardy.
Looks like they are trapped under that rock, which they may attach to right there.
And it looks like you have 2 separate mushrooms now.
I guess it's up to you if you want to move them to a container, and try and attach somewhere else.
I might give them a mild dip if I saw any fungus or rot starting.
Not best decision to choose hardy corals for beginning in reef tank.. :D i tried to trap them and moved to location with less water movement. Will check on them daily. Maybe you know how they call? In fish store forgot to ask.
Also i read on internet then soft corals are good for newbies. General: Soft corals good for newbies, then LSP and not recommended for newbies SPS. Logic or not really?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not best decision to choose hardy corals for beginning in reef tank.. :D i tried to trap them and moved to location with less water movement. Will check on them daily. Maybe you know how they call? In fish store forgot to ask.
Also i read on internet then soft corals are good for newbies. General: Soft corals good for newbies, then LSP and not recommended for newbies SPS. Logic or not really?
They are good corals for first corals. Hardy = tough.
Once those green hairy mushrooms get settled, they can really spread.
People say they can spread too much, but I like them.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say mushrooms are a great beginner coral! Some other great beginner corals are toadstool leathers, zoanthids, green star polyp, Kenya tree, gorgonians, cespitularia and xenia. Though if you do eventually want to keep LPS and/or SPS you will need to test your water and dose calcium/alkalinity and trace elements. Though not all corals are created equal as there are some relatively easy SPS and some extremely tricky LPS. If you do want to keep LPS I'd recommend duncans, Blastomoussa, nemenzophyllia and acans, though DO NOT let anyone tell you torches/hammers are beginner corals, THEY ARE NOT. For SPS I'd recommend montipora, stylophora and cyphastrea.

Also I wouldn't recommend poking and probing it Daily. The best thing you can do for corals is leave them alone as disturbing them could stress them. I'd leave it for 4 days-a week and then check if it attached or if you see it attached

OP
OP
S

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are good corals for first corals. Hardy = tough.
Once those green hairy mushrooms get settled, they can really spread.
People say they can spread too much, but I like them.
I heard that they spread a lot, time will show. :)
My 7 gallons AIO is really small want to have space for others corals later :D

OP
OP
S

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say mushrooms are a great beginner coral! Some other great beginner corals are toadstool leathers, zoanthids, green star polyp, Kenya tree, gorgonians, cespitularia and xenia. Though if you do eventually want to keep LPS and/or SPS you will need to test your water and dose calcium/alkalinity and trace elements. Though not all corals are created equal as there are some relatively easy SPS and some extremely tricky LPS. If you do want to keep LPS I'd recommend duncans, Blastomoussa, nemenzophyllia and acans, though DO NOT let anyone tell you torches/hammers are beginner corals, THEY ARE NOT. For SPS I'd recommend montipora, stylophora and cyphastrea.

Also I wouldn't recommend poking and probing it Daily. The best thing you can do for corals is leave them alone as disturbing them could stress them. I'd leave it for 4 days-a week and then check if it attached or if you see it attached
Thanks, tomorrow will google all corals that you have written and decide with what i can start :) That green star polip looks really cool

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, tomorrow will google all corals that you have written and decide with what i can start :) That green star polip looks really cool
Just remember this about the green star polyps, they are very invasive. Some say too invasive for smaller tanks.
But having said that, it is still one of my favorite corals, even after nearly 4 decades in the hobby.

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve purposely cut my mushrooms in half on several occasions. They usually heal themselves pretty rapidly over a week or so.
Do you have some of the mouth on both peices?
Usually it’ll need some of the mouth to regenerate. So if only one of the pieces has the whole mouth, the other piece may not live. But in my experience even a bit of the white mouth will allow it to grow back.

Search Acclimation box on Amazon.
put them in there with some rocks and close the top so no fish bother it, and put in a low flow area of the tank so the mushrooms can stick themselves on.

Warning it can take a week or 2 for them to fully stick.
But hopefully you’ll start seeing little parts of it start sticking within the first few days

Love mushrooms!

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added to above,
If you don’t have fish in there, then a Tupperware from your kitchen should be good as long as there very little flow in the box so it can attach.
if there are fish an acclimation box will be best because it allows in the crucial light needed to grow while keeping the fish away

OP
OP
S

SunSill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve purposely cut my mushrooms in half on several occasions. They usually heal themselves pretty rapidly over a week or so.
Do you have some of the mouth on both peices?
Usually it’ll need some of the mouth to regenerate. So if only one of the pieces has the whole mouth, the other piece may not live. But in my experience even a bit of the white mouth will allow it to grow back.

Search Acclimation box on Amazon.
put them in there with some rocks and close the top so no fish bother it, and put in a low flow area of the tank so the mushrooms can stick themselves on.

Warning it can take a week or 2 for them to fully stick.
But hopefully you’ll start seeing little parts of it start sticking within the first few days

Love mushrooms!
Right now they are in place with low flow, and trapped. i think they will attach in some time.
But..Mouth is only at one piece. So if i understand right: if mushroom attach to the rock that is good sign and it have chances to survive and regenerate? How often you feed them? Or let him chill for 1-2 weeks?

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now they are in place with low flow, and trapped. i think they will attach in some time.
But..Mouth is only at one piece. So if i understand right: if mushroom attach to the rock that is good sign and it have chances to survive and regenerate? How often you feed them? Or let him chill for 1-2 weeks?
Ok perfect so hopefully they’ll attach there. As long as they’re not waving around/moving you should be good.

As other said, mushroom are super resilient, they should recover. Especially if it attaches, that means it’s alive and moving forward.
Hard to say about the piece that doesn’t have any mouth on it..
Give it time maybe it’ll generate. Others might have experience with that

With feeding, so honestly light is really the main thing mushrooms need.
When I got my first mushrooms the store sold me a host of crap along with it to make money. I didn’t need any of it lol

But you can squirt some phytoplankton on it, that doesn’t hurt, and may help it’s recovery. You’ll see it curl up a little when it detects it. But it’s not critical for it to live.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you do feed them, do so very, very lightly.
With a fairly new tank, excess food with only add fuel to algae growth.

I don't directly feed soft corals in my tanks.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back