"Impossible to kill" palys dying? Why?

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple days ago I noticed my palys are dying. People say they are impossible to kill and some reefers are plagued with them and unable to control their growth... Mine are dying. Everything else in my tank is doing wonderfully. What gives? Sorry the pics posted twice, Idk why...
0423171338.jpg
0423171338.jpg
0423171338.jpg
0423171339.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that is weird. How long have the been in that spot? is it a no flow zone? no other zoas are wilted?

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any new corals. Maybe you have something eating them.
Also what are your parms?
I've not added anything since I put them in the tank. I've searched around for any bad things that might be eating them and I haven't seen anything.. My nitrates are high, but I think that is due to the die off of the palys.
SG 1.026
Calc. 460
dKh 11
PO4 .10
Amm. 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40ppm
Ph 8.0
Temp 78
That is all I test for.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, look for egg spirals,(ugg) and tiny tiny lil things surrounding the stalk. and mat want to peek at it late at night.

If its easy to pull out(use gloves on sand palys) an iodine dip or peroxide or revive maybe?

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, look for egg spirals,(ugg) and tiny tiny lil things surrounding the stalk. and mat want to peek at it late at night.

If its easy to pull out(use gloves on sand palys) an iodine dip or peroxide or revive maybe?
Im not sure I can see anything tiny because in the back in my tank. Ill look though. I hate to sound ignorant but how do I do a dip?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure I can see anything tiny because in the back in my tank. Ill look though. I hate to sound ignorant but how do I do a dip?
eww, youll wanna read up on that. many different kinds, pest removal, antibiotic etc.
tank water several drops of iodine swish return to tank. you can use hydrogen peroxide just a splash too.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! Im just worried about what it might do to my other corals. Should I take the rock out? Or cut the dying corals off? ????
I would definitely take rock out if you want to inspect, dip, or remove them by cutting/scraping. Palys can be highly toxic and I always wear latex gloves when I work with or around them.

That said, I've had ones that looked worse and they came back in a few days; how are they doing now?

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be getting worse.. I haven't taken them out because I AM so afraid of the palytoxin. Ive heavily considered taking out the entire rock and letting the whole thing die in the sun. The zoas are kind of ugly and plain brown anyway. At least ill still have the rock in the end. Im just hoping whatever it is doesn't spread to the rest of my corals!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be getting worse.. I haven't taken them out because I AM so afraid of the palytoxin. Ive heavily considered taking out the entire rock and letting the whole thing die in the sun. The zoas are kind of ugly and plain brown anyway. At least ill still have the rock in the end. Im just hoping whatever it is doesn't spread to the rest of my corals!
Understand and would probably do the same unless I had a separate tank to put them in after they have been cleaned/dipped and I could watch them for awhile to see if they recover.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just know when you have that die off. You will want to recure it. That will take 6 weeks of changing water, flow on it, scraping it all off, because all the die off will become ammonia and that you highly don't want in your tank. They call it "cooking." That doesn't mean literally cooking it. It is basically a lights out in a bucket for weeks.
You might want to just get a whole new rock. I did it before with 22lbs of live rock. So it was worth it. If a rock was 5lbs. I would dump the hassle and start over with the same pound weight. Maybe frag the zoanthids and palys to make some of your money back for the new rock.

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yeah, I know all that..Lol. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I plan on setting up a 55 gallon I bought. Probably in the next few months.,ill just use that rock in there when Im cycling my new rock in tank. I don't really see myself curing a 5lb or less rock...Lol. But under all that is a really nice looking piece of rock! Id rather keep it to use later on...Frankly in my little nano tank this big piece of rock is too large and gets in my way. It also restricts flow behind it and inhibits glass cleaning. ..

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yeah, I know all that..Lol. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I plan on setting up a 55 gallon I bought. Probably in the next few months.,ill just use that rock in there when Im cycling my new rock in tank. I don't really see myself curing a 5lb or less rock...Lol. But under all that is a really nice looking piece of rock! Id rather keep it to use later on...Frankly in my little nano tank this big piece of rock is too large and gets in my way. It also restricts flow behind it and inhibits glass cleaning. ..
I had to nuke that 22lbs of rock. Got aiptasia.. and it wasn't going in the 40B I was setting up haha

OP
OP
Dana Jackson

Dana Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, and I knock on wood here, I haven't had aptaisia. Not in this tank anyway.. Had it in my 75g. No way was I tearing down a 75 over aptaisia. .Lol. Freshwater in a hypodermic needle did the trick... And in only 7 months.. Tada! Just like that, gone! Lol...

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, and I knock on wood here, I haven't had aptaisia. Not in this tank anyway.. Had it in my 75g. No way was I tearing down a 75 over aptaisia. .Lol. Freshwater in a hypodermic needle did the trick... And in only 7 months.. Tada! Just like that, gone! Lol...
I did boiling hot water in a needle. Just spread it more.
What worked was a deep frier and 450F in the oven. I meant business! Haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back