Impromptu moray eel

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut to the chase my lfs is closing and they're selling everything, so a guy bought their 115g and sump but didn't want the 2 foot moray with it. So now I have a eel and never had one before. They had to get rid of it or chopping block and seeing as it's been there as long as the store I couldn't let that go down. Right now it's in a stock tank with 60 gallons of water heater and makeshift filter/ powerhead along with half the lr from its old tank and a huge piece I added. What do I need to know to help it live the rest of his days. Pretty much 30ish year old morray.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut to the chase my lfs is closing and they're selling everything, so a guy bought their 115g and sump but didn't want the 2 foot moray with it. So now I have a eel and never had one before. They had to get rid of it or chopping block and seeing as it's been there as long as the store I couldn't let that go down. Right now it's in a stock tank with 60 gallons of water heater and makeshift filter/ powerhead along with half the lr from its old tank and a huge piece I added. What do I need to know to help it live the rest of his days. Pretty much 30ish year old morray.
What species is it?
Make sure the stock tank has a good cover!
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a numberr of moray eels with that color - but they all have pretty much the same care requirements.

Just keep an eye on the ammonia level since it s anew tank. Do you know how to feed it?

Jay

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a numberr of moray eels with that color - but they all have pretty much the same care requirements.

Just keep an eye on the ammonia level since it s anew tank. Do you know how to feed it?

Jay
I have a lionfish if of its any similar.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lionfish if of its any similar.
You might want to stick feed the moray as opposed to broadcast feeding it. If the moray gets really hungry it may go after the lionfish’s food, so I would feed the eel first.
Whole seafood items such as shrimp, smelt and squid are good basic items to feed it. If possible, find a vitamin supplement that includes thiamin and vitamin E, as fish diets are often lacking in those two.
Jay

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they're not in the same system. The lion is small enough to be comfortable in a 45g reef and still only fits for live food. Guess I'll get out later this week and do some shopping. The good news is when I checked on him a hour ago he showed the same behavior from when it was at the store. Trying to scrounge up a working light and I have a nice sized ball of chaeto to drop in with it while I figure stuff out

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can click my name and "find all threads" to fit a ton of info on lions and eels. You find food recommendations, methods of feeding, filtration, and alot more. After you've scanned some of my threads and you have specific questions, I would be happy to help.

OP
OP
Pridedcloth3

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can click my name and "find all threads" to fit a ton of info on lions and eels. You find food recommendations, methods of feeding, filtration, and alot more. After you've scanned some of my threads and you have specific questions, I would be happy to help.
Thanks bro, I have no idea what I'm doing. Lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back