In binghamton any help is appreciated

Keith607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started 30 gallon setup any help advice free or any good deals pm me ty.

20170728_195320.jpg

20170728_195300.jpg

20170728_195314.jpg

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks more like a 15 gallon to me. That Wrasse is most likely to grow too big for the tank. You have a sump? Equipment list? Clean up crew in your tank? Corals? Tank parameters?

OP
OP
Keith607

Keith607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 30 but i have led white lights and a blue uvb light with a fluvall 1500 canister filter 13 lbs liverock 1 hammer coral 3 turbo snails 2 starfish

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30 gallon should be as big as this. The 2 seastars are most likely going to die. People don't know what it eats then it starves later on. It's very unfortunate since the same happened to me even though my tank is established and matured for a couple years. Those lights don't do lots. I would recommend t5 from Red Sea or ATI or led like kessil, Aqua illumination, or radion G4. Canister filters don't do lots for reefs so I would recommend to get a sump and build a over flow with correct plumbing. Sumps are like the heart of every tank. Get a protein skimmer (nyos Quantum 120 are awesome) and maybe a media Reactor, a few filter socks, a Refugium, and a few other things. Your life would be so much easier. Get a Anemone for your clown fish. He will thank you and so will your hammer Coral. What are your parameters?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Keith607

Keith607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a work in progress i gotta get everything little by little the starfish are eating algae from sand . Thats my plan is to save money to get all equipment.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon set up as well with no sump. Do you have any Matrix or Pond Matrix in your filter? It works really well to support your bacteria filter. Especially when you have a light live rock load in your display. I do weekly water-changes of 10% and clean the filter every time I do a WC.
IMG_3621.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon set up as well with no sump. Do you have any Matrix or Pond Matrix in your filter? It works really well to support your bacteria filter. Especially when you have a light live rock load in your display. I do weekly water-changes of 10% and clean the filter every time I do a WC.
IMG_3621.JPG
IMG_3616.JPG
I promise sumps will make your life easier! :) it is costly I understand

OP
OP
Keith607

Keith607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well call me crazy but the people at the lfs do i dont know peramiters cause i dont have test kit. I do wc once a month and test water semi monthly. Im trying to build slowly and really watch fish and coral to see if somethings wrong with water levels. Ill get everything slowly thats why im trying to find cheap or free deals on equipment or liverock.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise sumps will make your life easier! :) it is costly I understand

For sure. I have a SCA 50 cube with a sump and it is sooooooo much better. Just love my 29 though. It was my first tank. I don't mind the extra effort at this point because the tank is doing so good.

cgdcinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just google Seachem Matrix. It's filter media you keep in your baskets that house beneficial bacteria. Will help keep your tank stable. It lasts forever. Great investment if you are running a canister filter.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30 gallon should be as big as this. The 2 seastars are most likely going to die. People don't know what it eats then it starves later on. It's very unfortunate since the same happened to me even though my tank is established and matured for a couple years. Those lights don't do lots. I would recommend t5 from Red Sea or ATI or led like kessil, Aqua illumination, or radion G4. Canister filters don't do lots for reefs so I would recommend to get a sump and build a over flow with correct plumbing. Sumps are like the heart of every tank. Get a protein skimmer (nyos Quantum 120 are awesome) and maybe a media Reactor, a few filter socks, a Refugium, and a few other things. Your life would be so much easier. Get a Anemone for your clown fish. He will thank you and so will your hammer Coral. What are your parameters?
Ah photo didn't upload

IMG_3329.JPG

JimmyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith607. I live in bainbridge and the first thing I will tell you is there is nothing at the two lousy lfs in our area that you want other than salt mix and few other things . their tanks are full of cyano and aiptasia and they take no care of the livstock all they want is your money, just look at their filthy tanks . Everything else plan on ordering online or driving to syracuse to abc reefs. the other is, no one in those two shops have a clue to any questions you ask. Everything they may answer will be wrong. so read all you can about everything pertaining to this hobby ,research everything pertaining to this hobby and ask as many questions you need to on this forum, everyone here is here to help. This is the best forum I have found. sorry to seem bitter about our area shops but its the truth.

OP
OP
Keith607

Keith607

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith607. I live in bainbridge and the first thing I will tell you is there is nothing at the two lousy lfs in our area that you want other than salt mix and few other things . their tanks are full of cyano and aiptasia and they take no care of the livstock all they want is your money, just look at their filthy tanks . Everything else plan on ordering online or driving to syracuse to abc reefs. the other is, no one in those two shops have a clue to any questions you ask. Everything they may answer will be wrong. so read all you can about everything pertaining to this hobby ,research everything pertaining to this hobby and ask as many questions you need to on this forum, everyone here is here to help. This is the best forum I have found. sorry to seem bitter about our area shops but its the truth.
I just picked up my rodi system got light got wavemaker and protien skimmer and these

Back