In general do zoas get along?

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if generally different zoas get along with each other when placed near each other?

I've got Dragon Eye, Watermelon and Fire&Ice frags fairly close together in the hopes of creating a nice medley of color.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Treenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people put 2 or 3 on a single frag or have a dozen growing on one big rock. Whatever grows fastest can slightly dominate but not because they hate each other or sting each other.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NormanB Definitely mix all of them. Just google zoa garden. Here is mine I just tore up 30 min ago.

1579740204873.png

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another idea is buy round frag plugs, you can keep multiple zoas in there own little colonies. Here's a pic of red hornets we used to have to give you an idea. This will let you grow all the zoas you want and they won't take over one another.
20190426_234236.png

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another idea is buy round frag plugs, you can keep multiple zoas in there own little colonies. Here's a pic of red hornets we used to have to give you an idea. This will let you grow all the zoas you want and they won't take over one another.
20190426_234236.png
They are on their own round plugs.

Thanks for sharing.

Reefasaurus X

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if generally different zoas get along with each other when placed near each other?

I've got Dragon Eye, Watermelon and Fire&Ice frags fairly close together in the hopes of creating a nice medley of color.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Absolutely mix them. Just be careful not to let ANY Palyzoas get in the mix. Palys WILL outcompete zoas by growing taller, and they’re usually not as aesthetically pleasing as the zoas. Consider yourself the gardener. If one type is outgrowing its neighbor and you don’t want it to, you can even the playing field by nuking the offender with some kalk paste or other method of trimming it back. When you have them grown out you should post pics on this same thread.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Never had an issue other than them wanting to spread but their neighbor was in the way

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. Unfortunately something bulldozed through the plugs I had placed and scattered them all over the place. I reset them in a slightly different position so it may take awhile for them to be happy again.

I'm finding the Fire & Ice zoas to be a bit temperamental about being messed with, so I suspect it will take a week or 2 before they get back to their happy place. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back