In-Line Pump Selection for 180G Mixed Reef Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter djs4him
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

djs4him

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2022
Messages
97
Reaction score
96
Location
Spring Hill
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 180 gallon sump-less tank running fallow but will ultimately be a mixed reef tank. It is currently using an FX6 but I intend on replacing the FX6 canister filter with a dedicated inline pump and a series of reactors (carbon, GFO, sponges, etc). This design will be much easier for me to maintain since the FX6 is a pain in the butt to pull out from under my tank and clean etc etc.

I am considering a Sicce Syncra HF 12.0 (Syncra HF - MULTIFUNCTION PUMPS - Products (sicce.com)) which will run about 3200 GPH.

Is this a good size for my tank? Is this pump too powerful for 1" PVC plumbing? I took my 180 gallons and multiplied it by 20 per advice from a BRS article and arrived at around 3600 GPH as a rough target destination. My current FX6 runs around 1100 GPH. I fear being blasted into the kitchen the moment I plug this new pump in. Does anyone else happen to have any experience with this particular pump or a pump with similar GPH?
 
Since starting this thread, I've done a lot more research and have learned I don't need a fraction of the flowrate I previously thought.

I have ultimately landed on a Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0. Being DC, it allows me more control and quieter operation than an AC pump. It offers plenty of flowrate for my tank. Not exactly cheap but I know it will be well worth it and won't dissapoint.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new