In need of a new pump for old Euro Reef Skimmer. Would it be worth it?

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this skimmer from maybe 15 years ago. I don't have the pump anymore for whatever reason. Is this worth putting money into or should I get a new skimmer?

The plumping for this skimmer seems to be metric? So I'm not sure if this is going to turn into a project or its an easy fix.

As of now I don't think spending more than $150 on this old skimmer is worth it. Not sure if I would have to spend that much, just saying. Need a pump, maybe some plumbing, and maybe replace the o-rings.

The skimmer is going on a 55 gallon most likely a sps dominate tank.

Any opinions is appreciated.

20200128_211637.jpg 20200128_211745.jpg 20200128_211736.jpg 20200104_164200.jpg

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honesty i would just get a new one, in the past years tech has changed so much (new needle wheels) new skimmer shapes etc etc. You cant go wrong with a reef octo, Vertex or if you want to dish out a bit more for a Lifereef simmer (will actually last you forever as switching out the pump is soooooooo easy, and if you ever get a bigger tank you can just add on to the skimmer haha) i only recommend them because i have owned and still use all three for years now *****yes i know vertex is going/went under but i still use one of their skimmers in my breeding system and its awesome*****

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is not a new needle wheel skimmer on the market that will perform any better than that outside of maybe a Red Dragon based one for several thousand. The bubble plates, cones and all of that are BS. It took a Sedra 3500 (likely) when new - these are still made. You can also retrofit them with a Tunze Hydrofoamer or other pump.

LifeReef is on another level, IMO.

Here is about a week from the a different model/size of that same skimmer with the Sedra 3500. EuroReef and ASM skimmers are no joke:
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 2.08.55 PM.png

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thank for the visual!

Been looking at Nyos aquatics quantum 160, and the Maxspect Arraqua Due skimmers.

I like the maxspect skimmer because of all the adjustments and features, but the price is on the high end. Might be to many things to play around with. I do like the dc pump, shut off switch, and drain tube.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an older Euro Reef skimmer and when the pump failed I just ended up buying a Tunze hydrofoamer silence pump. No adapter was needed for me, it slid right in the rubber grommet on the side with no issues. Works great and was about a third the watts as the original. It has been running for maybe 5 years now.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did Euro Reef disappear? Been wondering what happened to them.

I don't know. My guess is people started to want quieter skimmers, in different shapes, made of thicker acrylic, with cool color accents. Smaller footprint also probably - if Euro Reef could have figured out how stick the pump in the body while allowing access for cleaning...that would have been nice.

Another older skimmer thats still around but not very popular are the Tunze in sump skimmers. It's been around for ever, and the reviews are stellar. But it's made of thinner plastic/acrylic and has kind of a goofy output. But it's also self leveling for sump water level and has a no overflow feature so go figure.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same skimmer with a sicce psk 600. In my opinion euro reef/reefdynamics are built like tanks. However replacement pumps were expensive. I have a euro reef ins 180 that needs a pump. The last quote I got was for the Eheim upgraded pump for $350. To much when I can buy a new skimmer for not much more. Then I got my ins 135 new on close out for $235 shipped.

If anyone has any ideas on a replacement pump for my euro reef ins 180 I’m all ears. Or where I can get a shaft and impeller for the old one.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP it would be worth getting the psk 600 pump. You will need the Venturi and silicone hose. You may need an adapter also. I think Jeff is available on Facebook if you want to look up reefdynamics. He can still get you the parts you need.

image.jpg

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same skimmer with a sicce psk 600. In my opinion euro reef/reefdynamics are built like tanks.

I was looking at that pump. Just because the Red Sea 300 runs it.

Kinda thinking of getting it. If I ever decide to get a different skimmer I could use that on a qt tank down the road.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same skimmer with a sicce psk 600. In my opinion euro reef/reefdynamics are built like tanks. However replacement pumps were expensive. I have a euro reef ins 180 that needs a pump. The last quote I got was for the Eheim upgraded pump for $350. To much when I can buy a new skimmer for not much more. Then I got my ins 135 new on close out for $235 shipped.

If anyone has any ideas on a replacement pump for my euro reef ins 180 I’m all ears. Or where I can get a shaft and impeller for the old one.

You should be able to use a Sedra w/ needle wheel impeller, which should be cheaper than an Eheim.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EuroReef had trouble and during the last downturn and came out if it as AquaEuro USA. 2007 was hard on reefing companies. The next one will redefine the landscape just like the last one did. You can bet that one or two of [Neptune, EcoTech, Kessil] are will go under the next time. It sucks.

In any case, ER had huge competition from ASM. ER skimmers have some of the best build quality ever.

Sedra, Tunze Hydrofoamer or Sicce are what you want... Ehiem are too expensive, IMO.

peterpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this skimmer from maybe 15 years ago. I don't have the pump anymore for whatever reason. Is this worth putting money into or should I get a new skimmer?

The plumping for this skimmer seems to be metric? So I'm not sure if this is going to turn into a project or its an easy fix.

As of now I don't think spending more than $150 on this old skimmer is worth it. Not sure if I would have to spend that much, just saying. Need a pump, maybe some plumbing, and maybe replace the o-rings.

The skimmer is going on a 55 gallon most likely a sps dominate tank.

Any opinions is appreciated.

20200128_211637.jpg 20200128_211745.jpg 20200128_211736.jpg 20200104_164200.jpg
Just took out my old Euro Reef Skimmer from my fish room. I believe it is a RS 180. Ordered the Sicce PSK600 Pump to use on it. Will let you know how it comes out

Chaloupa2642

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took out my old Euro Reef Skimmer from my fish room. I believe it is a RS 180. Ordered the Sicce PSK600 Pump to use on it. Will let you know how it comes out
Sooooo update? I have the same skimmer with brand new pump…and I screwed up the pump so looking for options!

peterpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo update? I have the same skimmer with brand new pump…and I screwed up the pump so looking for options!
I finally managed to get the skimmer going. Am testing the skimmer now.

Attachments

• 20240526_121822.jpg
    20240526_121822.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 11

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back