OP

6eteeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I only have 4 fish in the DT

1 - medium yellowstripe maroon (plan on pairing)
1 - small yellow tang
2 - diamond gobies

I haven't really decided on other fish but was thinking of these

yellowstripe maroon clown
Blue Hippo tang
powder blue tang
blonde naso tang
Lieutenant Tang
Queen angelfish
Gold Assessor Basslet
racoon butterfly
Magnificent Foxface
dwarf lionfish
Snapping shrimp
school of fish (chromis?)

What do you guys think? Any sugestions?

saltyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a dc12000 pump and I'm pretty happy with it. It is much quieter than my mag24.

saltyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty good stock list. You will just have to be careful with all those Tangs. I would put all the Tangs in at the same time and have the Blue Hippo and Powder Blue be a little smaller as they tend to be the meanest when they get big. I would also add the Queen Angel last and the Tangs next to last.

OP
OP

6eteeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a dc12000 pump and I'm pretty happy with it. It is much quieter than my mag24.

That's awesome, I'm hoping to get it put in tomorrow. Do you use the control much to change the flow? Not sure the reason for that

OP
OP

6eteeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I definitly don't need all the tangs but for sure 2 or so. I really wanted an achilies for have just heard how they are the worst ich magnets.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff!! I like your stock list. There are 3 cautions I would give about the fish on the list: 1) powder blue tangs tend to be ich magnets and aggressive (so be sure he's the last or close to last added IMHO). 2) The large angels (like queen angels) are usually coral nippers, so have a plan for that. 3) I really wanted a gold assessor basslet for my 180, but some folks who have them warned me that I would probably never see him (please note that I have NO experience with them...I'm just passing on the warning I received). Again, I'm not saying you shouldn't do any of them, and you probably have already considered the points I made, but I just wanted to be sure you had considered those points. Good luck!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP

6eteeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to a thread where I was building my 180 stocking list. Thought it might be helpful. Stocking list for my 180 (a work in progress)

Awesome thread, thank you for the link. Our lists are really similar, I just don't have any anthias. Just not a fan. I really want a copperband but the guy at my LFS doesn't even sell them. He says they are extremely hard to keep and not worth the hastle. I definitely don't plan on having all those tangs but just listed what I am interested in. I also really like the blonde naso, my tank is 7 feet so he should be good. Thank you for the heads up on the gold assessor. Yeah, $100 for something that hids isn't really worth it. A couple months ago I purchased two helfrichi firefish and they were absolutely beautiful. Had them for almost a month and then they disppeared 5 days apart. Craziest thing ever. Thinking about addidng them back to the list.

I just installed the Jebao pump and it's absolutely silent! I plugged it in and wasn't even sure it was working until I looked in the tank and saw water coming from the returns! Blew my mind and it was only $160! One of the best purchases I have made since joining the hobby. Now if I can get my gurglebusters silent the tank will be pretty close to silent. The reef breeders have fans that run most of the time and there is a slight hum from the hydor 1650s but only until about 4 feet away.

Jeffdmd84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of the dwarf lion and you definitely need a couple of blue hippos. have you thought about a purple lobster? I had one once and it was pretty sick... until my snowflake eel gobbled him up....in front of my eyes. That was a terrible experience...all well.
th

OP
OP

6eteeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I started in the hobby back in Sept '13 my wife and kids have been begging for a "Dorie." Erik, at my LFS, does not sell them. He is very specific on the fish that he sells and will not sell something to make a buck. He told me today that he has not sold a blue hippo in 3 years at that was at another LFS in town. He has not sold once since opening up his own place.
20140517_142953-1.jpg

He received this fish about a year ago because a loyal customer was downsizing and needed to get rid of it. It has been in his QT, in the back, for the last year. At the beginning of the week he moved her into DT at the store to see how she'd do. Well, I picked up her up this morning. She has been doing well and swimming around the lake crazy! Wife is happy, yay!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! You can be sure she's healthy!

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major respect to a store that doesn't sell Hippo tangs or any fish just to make a buck. There was a similar store I stopped at in Tampa that would not carry Hippo tangs as well, barely any Yellows too. Unfortunately every store up here has a lot of them in stock most of the time and obviously are just looking for $$$.

OP
OP

6eteeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major respect to a store that doesn't sell Hippo tangs or any fish just to make a buck. There was a similar store I stopped at in Tampa that would not carry Hippo tangs as well, barely any Yellows too. Unfortunately every store up here has a lot of them in stock most of the time and obviously are just looking for $$$.

Absolutely, in fact he doesn't even order fish online and have them shipped. Because we are in Las Vegas, he drives down to LA at least every other week and hand picks the stock for his store. The yellow tang he sold me was hand picked by him and then kept in his store for 10 days before he sold it to me. He was even pretty reluctant to sell me the hippo lol. At first it was really frustrating because it would take weeks to get a fish or in the case of the hippo over two months. However, he wants to sell you a strong, healthy fish that will survive. Now it's quite comforting.

Good news is the hippo made it thru the night. She's eating great and swimming all over!

OP
OP

6eteeth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found out that my LFS is closing! I guess the story is his sister in law did the finances; never filed taxes and was skimming of the top! So sad.

Well everything is on sale so going in tomorrow morning to pick up some stuff, just breaks me heart. Not sure where I will go now....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back