Stocking list for my 180 (a work in progress)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay...I'm trying to plan out a master stock list for my 180. Please understand that I am about to post up a list of possible tank inhabitants. This is not by any means a finalized list. I'm looking for opinions as to what would work with what. I'm also trying decide on an order for acquiring these guys...basically, I am trying to start out with an end in mind rather than just going in and looking at different stores and buying off of impulse. Opinions are very welcome.

Here's the list of possible candidates.

Possible fish for 180:

Tangs:

· Blue Tang
· Blonde Naso Tang
· Purple Tang
· Yellow Tang
· Sailfin Tang
· Orangeshoulder Tang
· Powder Brown Tang
Wrasses:
· Christmas wrasse (pair)
· Red Head Solon fairy wrasse (Pair)
· Oramge Back Fairy Wrasse
· Scott’s Fairy Wrasse
· Leopard Wrasse (not sure if I should get the blue star leopard wrasse or just the normal one)
· Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse (trio)
· McCosker’s Flasher wrasse (trio)
· Mystery Wrasse
Butterflies:
· Copperband
· Kleins
Clowns:
· Pair of Blue Ice Clowns or Picasso Clowns
· Pair of Phantom Clowns
Anthias:
· Squareback Anthias
· Fathead Sunburst Anthias
· Bartlett’s Anthias
Others:
· Pair of red mandarin gobies
· Algae Blenny
· Blue Reef Chromis (trio)
· Firefish (trio)
· Rainford’s Goby

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm open to considering additional candidates if you think there's a "must have" fish that's not on the list.

I should also mention that I currently only have the pair of Christmas wrasses and a filefish (and one green mandarin goby that will be rehomed before I add the pair of red gobies).

I really like my wrasses and having seen a few tanks lately with lots of wrasses, I'd like to have this tank dominated by tangs and wrasses (as much as is reasonable).

Feel free to ask questions. :)

I'm looking forward to this process of selection! :D

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea how many fish you might like to have? Not saying that the number is a goal or limitation, but may help with deciding

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol I don't really have a number in mind...I guess as many as can comfortably get along...I know some of those guys need to have plenty of swim room, but I've also seen large tanks with lots of fish (lots is a relative term I know). That's one of the things I'd take opinions on.

Tylermacdonald15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a list of the amount of fish you think you want or a list to choose the fish you want from. IMO the amount of fish on the list is way to many for a 180. I would personally only pick three of those tangs, and make sure they are ones that will get along. I would either go with one or all three of the zebrasoma tangs. I made the mistake of thinking a purple and yellow tang would do fine in my 210, they pick at each other all the time. I will probably either end up with another yellow tang to break up the fighting or taking out the yellow and leaving the purple. And I would only do one kind of anthias. All the other small fish should be fine, it's just a matter of how many water changes you want to be doing. I have 5 small fish, 3 tangs and am going to have two triggers in my 210. My upkeep is barley nothing. I'm looking at your list and all I can think about is how hard it will be to keep the nitrates down, just my opinion. If your ready for it, then go for it. I would just recommend fewer tangs and only one species of anthias. I really like the bartletts anthias, I would just do like 6 of those instead of mixing the species. And also I would look for captive raised mandarins, otherwise it will be a constant battle to keep them fed on pods.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For wrasses, I would scratch off the Solon (C. solorensis), Scott's (C. scottorum) and Mystery (P. ocellatus). None of them play well with other Fairy/Flasher Wrasses. In fact, stay away from the Pseudocheilinus genus all together. Otherwise the remaining listed should be fine. Plenty of others to chose from as well. However I would be wary of doing pairs or trios. It seems when you have a pair or trio in with a group of other Fairy/Flasher Wrasses, almost always all of the females will turn male. It could be because the terminal male is distracted by the other wrasses to keep the females in check (and therefore keep them female!). Then once they turn, there is no guarantee the terminal male will work it out with the new males or not. I would suggest just doing one from each species for this reason.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this a list of the amount of fish you think you want or a list to choose the fish you want from. IMO the amount of fish on the list is way to many for a 180. I would personally only pick three of those tangs, and make sure they are ones that will get along. I would either go with one or all three of the zebrasoma tangs. I made the mistake of thinking a purple and yellow tang would do fine in my 210, they pick at each other all the time. I will probably either end up with another yellow tang to break up the fighting or taking out the yellow and leaving the purple. And I would only do one kind of anthias. All the other small fish should be fine, it's just a matter of how many water changes you want to be doing. I have 5 small fish, 3 tangs and am going to have two triggers in my 210. My upkeep is barley nothing. I'm looking at your list and all I can think about is how hard it will be to keep the nitrates down, just my opinion. If your ready for it, then go for it. I would just recommend fewer tangs and only one species of anthias. I really like the bartletts anthias, I would just do like 6 of those instead of mixing the species. And also I would look for captive raised mandarins, otherwise it will be a constant battle to keep them fed on pods.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't plan on putting all of these fish in there. This more of a list to get ideas from. I had a zebrasoma trio (sailfin, purple, and yellow tangs) before and they did great. I'm thinking I may try that again. I know I want a purple tang for sure. I also like blue and naso tangs, so I may do those. I was kind of thinking of doing 5 tangs...but maybe that's too ambitious...still thinking about it. I have plenty of pods for mandarins, but I like the idea of funding captive raised anyway...any idea where I could find a mandarin pair?

I've never kept anthias before, but I listed the 3 that I like a lot. I really like the squareback anthias...would it work to do one squareback and several Bartletts??

For wrasses, I would scratch off the Solon (C. solorensis), Scott's (C. scottorum) and Mystery (P. ocellatus). None of them play well with other Fairy/Flasher Wrasses. In fact, stay away from the Pseudocheilinus genus all together. Otherwise the remaining listed should be fine. Plenty of others to chose from as well. However I would be wary of doing pairs or trios. It seems when you have a pair or trio in with a group of other Fairy/Flasher Wrasses, almost always all of the females will turn male. It could be because the terminal male is distracted by the other wrasses to keep the females in check (and therefore keep them female!). Then once they turn, there is no guarantee the terminal male will work it out with the new males or not. I would suggest just doing one from each species for this reason.

Thanks for the tip. I'm still somewhat new to wrasses...could you help me with creating a possible list of compatible species. I like the ones listed, but I'd like to know about others you would suggest. I didn't know that about the trios/pairs. Thanks for warning me!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This should help you on the wrasse front: All About Reef Safe Wrasses - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum

Be careful using common names, too. "Christmas wrasse" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, and the various species which sometimes get that common name are far from created equal.

Last edited:

Badfish83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This should help you on the wrasse front: All About Reef Safe Wrasses - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum

Be careful using common names, too. "Christmas wrasse" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, and the various species which sometimes get that common name are far from created equal.

Thanks! What I gather from this write up is that an inexperienced wrasse keeper like myself should probably stick to "fairy" and "flasher" wrasses. I understand your concern about using common names, but I am not good with scientific names bc I can't pronounce them... :p I think my "Christmas wrasses" are melanrus wrasses...but I honestly don't know bc they were sold to me as "Christmas wrasses" the male has yellow around his gill areas and is larger than the female. If you give me scientific names for some I should look up, I can check them out.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is an editted list...looking for more thoughts...

Possible fish for 180:

Tangs:

· Blue Tang
· Blonde Naso Tang
· Purple Tang
· Yellow Tang
· Sailfin Tang
· Orangeshoulder Tang
· Powder Brown Tang
Wrasses:
· Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
· Leopard Wrasse (not sure if I should get the blue star leopard wrasse or just the normal one)
· Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse
· McCosker’s Flasher wrasse
....would like to add more wrasses to this list...suggestions?
Butterflies:
· Copperband
· Kleins
Clowns:
· Pair of Phantom Clowns
Anthias:
· Squareback Anthias
· Bartlett’s Anthias
Others:
· Algae Blenny
· Firefish (trio)
· Rainford’s Goby

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for help from the morning crew

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an editted list...looking for more thoughts...

Possible fish for 180:

Tangs:

· Blue Tang
· Blonde Naso Tang
· Purple Tang
· Yellow Tang
· Sailfin Tang
· Orangeshoulder Tang
· Powder Brown Tang
Wrasses:
· Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
· Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse
· McCosker’s Flasher wrasse
....would like to add more wrasses to this list...suggestions?
Butterflies:
· Copperband
· Kleins
Clowns:
· Pair of Phantom Clowns
Anthias:
· Squareback Anthias
· Bartlett’s Anthias
Others:
· Algae Blenny
· Firefish (trio)
· Rainford’s Goby

My thoughts on your list, just my .02

Tangs: purple and orange shoulder only
Wrasses : Christmas wrasse pair and possibly a harem of potter's wrasse.
Butterfly: definitely a ccb (I never should have sold mine)
Anthias: I'd skip them personally
Others: A algae blenny and a school of fire fish or dart fish.

I love my tangs I've had over the years, but really narrowed my list down after they all started competing for grazing rights. Now I'll end up with 2 in my 240. I believe in mixing it up with rabbit/foxfaces and angels (if your ok with risk, but no more risk than a ccb IMO).

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the thoughts! Why skip the anthias?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the thoughts! Why skip the anthias?

High amount of feeding. Most stories of success I've heard are housing them with auto feeders. Not too bad of a idea, but could be a potential issue (excess nutrient buildup). Btw, great job on thinking long term on your stock. Most never do and regret down the road.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going with Anthias I would only get Lyretail, they have a much higher success rate in my experience. Less expensive, too. Not to say that the other won't work, it's a matter of how much you want to risk. But that would be my general recommendation.

I'm not certain a 180 will be enough for a naso tang.

I would add a midas blenny, awesome fish.

I would consider adding some more working fish, such as melanurus wrasse, yellow wrasse, etc.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're going with Anthias I would only get Lyretail, they have a much higher success rate in my experience. Less expensive, too. Not to say that the other won't work, it's a matter of how much you want to risk. But that would be my general recommendation.

I'm not certain a 180 will be enough for a naso tang.

I would add a midas blenny, awesome fish.

I would consider adding some more working fish, such as melanurus wrasse, yellow wrasse, etc.

I have a malanurus pair already (Christmas wrasses they were called when I bought them). What jobs do they do? Is a yellow wrasse a fairy wrasse? Not familiar with them. What do they do?

I was thinking about the Midas blenny too. I think I'll add him to the list. ;)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
High amount of feeding. Most stories of success I've heard are housing them with auto feeders. Not too bad of a idea, but could be a potential issue (excess nutrient buildup). Btw, great job on thinking long term on your stock. Most never do and regret down the road.

Funny you mentioned the auto feeder. I was actually already thinking about getting one bc of adding the wrasses. I realize I'll have to be careful about nutrients, but I think if I get a good one, I can control the amount that gets fed and it'll be pellets, so not too terrible...

Thanks for the help! I want to get this planned out now bc the last two times I set up a tank, I just bought on impulse and always ended up disappointed with the results.

tuna_bullet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...I'm trying to plan out a master stock list for my 180. Please understand that I am about to post up a list of possible tank inhabitants. This is not by any means a finalized list. I'm looking for opinions as to what would work with what. I'm also trying decide on an order for acquiring these guys...basically, I am trying to start out with an end in mind rather than just going in and looking at different stores and buying off of impulse. Opinions are very welcome.

Here's the list of possible candidates.

Possible fish for 180:

Tangs:

· Blue Tang
· Blonde Naso Tang
· Purple Tang
· Yellow Tang
· Sailfin Tang
· Orangeshoulder Tang
· Powder Brown Tang
Wrasses:
· Red Head Solon fairy wrasse (Pair)
· Oramge Back Fairy Wrasse
· Scott’s Fairy Wrasse
· Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse (trio)
· McCosker’s Flasher wrasse (trio)
· Mystery Wrasse
Butterflies:
· Copperband
· Kleins
Clowns:
· Pair of Phantom Clowns
Anthias:
· Squareback Anthias
· Fathead Sunburst Anthias
· Bartlett’s Anthias
Others:
· Algae Blenny
· Firefish (trio)
· Rainford’s Goby

i would drop a couple tangs and wrasses and add some more cool gobies....just my opinion..i have a 180 also

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What I gather from this write up is that an inexperienced wrasse keeper like myself should probably stick to "fairy" and "flasher" wrasses. I understand your concern about using common names, but I am not good with scientific names bc I can't pronounce them... :p I think my "Christmas wrasses" are melanrus wrasses...but I honestly don't know bc they were sold to me as "Christmas wrasses" the male has yellow around his gill areas and is larger than the female. If you give me scientific names for some I should look up, I can check them out.
Sort of, but those are good choices. It's the Macropharyngodon and Anampses I'd avoid as a wrasse beginner.
You don't have to pronounce them on a forum; only spell them :p
A photo would be helpful there; there's a sticky ID thread at the top of the fish forum here.
From the link I provided, the bottom species section (Halichoeres); here's the reason I caution on "Christmas Wrasse":
H. claudia “Christmas Wrasse”: Often available, inexpensive. Usually very peaceful and do not often pick on inverts at all. Usually peaceful with other Halichoeres wrasses.

H. ornatissimus "Ornate Wrasse": Common available and inexpensive. This one is also commonly (and incorrectly, IMO) labeled as a "Christmas Wrasse", but this species is VERY different from H. claudia. This one gets much larger (7"), and typically gets somewhat mean once mature. Also LOVES motile inverts. Avoid this one for a peaceful reef.

Lastly, sometimes H. biocellatus can get the same common name slapped onto it.

I have a malanurus pair already (Christmas wrasses they were called when I bought them). What jobs do they do? Is a yellow wrasse a fairy wrasse? Not familiar with them. What do they do?
A "Yellow wrasse" is Halichoeres chrysus (a Halichoeres; not a Cirrhilabrus). Wrasses of the Halichoeres genus are good hunters, and some people like to use them as pest control. I feel this is a bit misguided, however. Halichoeres wrasses are ultimately not a good solution to a pest problem; they can be an aid however (but not a cure).

Back