In tank refuge

Luther

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I make an in tank refugium for pods out of one of these or something like these? I have 2 mandarins, a yellow corris, and Ywg in a 32 biocube with a mesh lid and hydra 32hd. They absolutely destroy pods when I put them in. I've been brainstorming ideas of ways to keep a decent breeding pod population so I have pods at all times. Any other ideas welcome and appreciated. But this is what I've thought of so far.

Screenshot_20230127_164005_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230127_163934_Chrome.jpg

rapurcell85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I make an in tank refugium for pods out of one of these or something like these? I have 2 mandarins, a yellow corris, and Ywg in a 32 biocube with a mesh lid and hydra 32hd. They absolutely destroy pods when I put them in. I've been brainstorming ideas of ways to keep a decent breeding pod population so I have pods at all times. Any other ideas welcome and appreciated. But this is what I've thought of so far.

Screenshot_20230127_164005_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230127_163934_Chrome.jpg
I'm thinking about doing something similar. What are those boxes called when you search for them?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the mandarins are just eating pods and not prepared foods neither will really work as they will decimate pod populations in a tank that small and then starve to death down the line unfortunately

OP
OP
L

Luther

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the mandarins are just eating pods and not prepared foods neither will really work as they will decimate pod populations in a tank that small and then starve to death down the line unfortunately
Luckily they also eat super eggs and frozen pods. But they definately prefer the live. They definately eat but I've noticed they look thinner once they've knocked the pod population down and eating mostly frozen or eggs. I'd definately like to keep live pods in the tank to keep them fatter

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily they also eat super eggs and frozen pods. But they definately prefer the live. They definately eat but I've noticed they look thinner once they've knocked the pod population down and eating mostly frozen or eggs. I'd definately like to keep live pods in the tank to keep them fatter
That really isnt a good sign, unfortunately. They can very easily starve in this sized tank, I would recommend an external refugium for you in your scenario

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should never look skinny, if they are it may be time to let 1 go as 2 should usually be in a 50 gallon tank with a good size fuge for pods. This can be remedied by a pretty large fuge area for pods but isnt always possible

OP
OP
L

Luther

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should never look skinny, if they are it may be time to let 1 go as 2 should usually be in a 50 gallon tank with a good size fuge for pods. This can be remedied by a pretty large fuge area for pods but isnt always possible
They're not necessarily skinny. They look thinner when the pod population is starting to dwindle. I was thinking it was because there isn't a huge source of pods and they wait to be fed instead of constantly eating pods. When I add pods they just look bigger vs 2 weeks later. I keep an eye on them to make sure thy aren't getting skinny. They just look thinner if I go too long without adding more. I plan on getting a bigger tank in a few months. They definately won't be in the Biocube for much longer

Back