In tank refugium... in sump

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried multiple ways to get a solid amount of pods into my tank, and nothing seems to be working. My next idea is using an in tank refugium container, but putting it into the return chamber in my sump. Assuming I could find a clip on light that I could set up over it, any thoughts on how successful this would be? I'm thinking I layer the bottom with rubble rock and fill it half way with chaeto (to start). Thanks!

I don't have room in my sump for a refugium. I have a Waterbox 134.

upload_2018-8-27_19-53-36.png

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump you should be ok with a chamber where you have rock and chaeoto in that section. Not sure how your sump is set up.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put pods directly into the display at all? They will eat detritus and live in the rocks. You shouldn't need a dedicated fuge unless they're being eaten. Tisbe pods do not require chaeto to populate, it's just a safe haven in the sump. They also like to live in foam prefilters for reactor pumps, ect...

OP
OP
K

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump you should be ok with a chamber where you have rock and chaeoto in that section. Not sure how your sump is set up.

Below is the sump that comes with the Waterbox 134. Unfortunately I don't have dedicated space for a refugium so I am thinking about that in tank refugium in the return chamber.

upload_2018-8-29_12-6-45.png

OP
OP
K

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put pods directly into the display at all? They will eat detritus and live in the rocks. You shouldn't need a dedicated fuge unless they're being eaten. Tisbe pods do not require chaeto to populate, it's just a safe haven in the sump. They also like to live in foam prefilters for reactor pumps, ect...

I did, I got 3 bags of pods from Podyourreef, as well as 4 bags of adult pods from Floridapets. I want to keep a mandarin so I am trying to get a solid, pentiful base established.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might want to get a sump that can have a chamber just for you to have pods reproduce along with the rocks in the display tank.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, I got 3 bags of pods from Podyourreef, as well as 4 bags of adult pods from Floridapets. I want to keep a mandarin so I am trying to get a solid, pentiful base established.

So what happened to them? Were fish eating them? You may also not see them in the rockwork. I've had pods in my sump for years, but I never see them and they never are in the display that I can see. The only reason I know they're there is because if I crank up my reactor, they get stuck inside it. They live in the foam prefilter.

A better option for you, imo, would be the hang-on Aquafuge or Aquafuge 2 by CPR. I would suggest the external hang-on one so they can't rapidly escape to the tank. You'd only need the small one if it's just for pods. If they disappear from the tank, then maybe keep them out of the tank so you can verify they're in their, and in a small enclosure that will let them trickle to the tank.

Have you put them in the tank at night with the powerheads turned off so they didn't get eaten right away and wouldn't get blown around and immediately end up in the filter?

A good supplier of pods that I've dealt with is called "Coral Reefing Products." They sell on eBay as well if you want the extra security, but have a website and are very nice. They've replaced full orders for me if the pods didn't make the trip. They sell large quantities that you can actually see for good prices. I ordered from AlgaGen before and was less than happy with what was in the bag. Just another option :)

OP
OP
K

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happened to them? Were fish eating them? You may also not see them in the rockwork. I've had pods in my sump for years, but I never see them and they never are in the display that I can see. The only reason I know they're there is because if I crank up my reactor, they get stuck inside it. They live in the foam prefilter.

A better option for you, imo, would be the hang-on Aquafuge or Aquafuge 2 by CPR. I would suggest the external hang-on one so they can't rapidly escape to the tank. You'd only need the small one if it's just for pods. If they disappear from the tank, then maybe keep them out of the tank so you can verify they're in their, and in a small enclosure that will let them trickle to the tank.

Have you put them in the tank at night with the powerheads turned off so they didn't get eaten right away and wouldn't get blown around and immediately end up in the filter?

A good supplier of pods that I've dealt with is called "Coral Reefing Products." They sell on eBay as well if you want the extra security, but have a website and are very nice. They've replaced full orders for me if the pods didn't make the trip. They sell large quantities that you can actually see for good prices. I ordered from AlgaGen before and was less than happy with what was in the bag. Just another option :)

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what happened to them to be honest. I do have a pygmy angel and a royal Gramma that are constantly picking at the rocks so I assume they are eating pods.

I'll check out the options you suggested as well as the pod seller. I do add at night when I can. Unfortunately the live adult pods tend to be delivered in the afternoon while I'm at work and in Houston that means they are sitting in an oven until I get home so I try to get them in the tank as fast as possible. When I do this I use a baster to get them into the rock and sandbed but I imagine they go exploring and are eaten immediately.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out. I want to have a Mandarin more than any other item in the hobby so I am determined to figure this out. The challenge is not adding anything to the DT that would look out of place. Added a pic of where the tank is so it makes sense.

20180820_151343.jpg

theblackpearl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a hang on the back Refugium or convert your fresh water reservoir into a refugium

I have a good population that live in my live rock but I also have an in-sump refugium to help out

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m exploring this same idea for different reasons: no sump (canister, no room for a sump in this crumby stand, not ready to do the basement sump yet), no room between tank and wall for an HOB Fuge. I spent a good part of the day figuring out if i could build one from a single sheet of acrylic at Menards and decided I’m better off getting a breeder or specimen container and drill some holes in it.

Did you ever figure this out @Kal ?

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what happened to them to be honest. I do have a pygmy angel and a royal Gramma that are constantly picking at the rocks so I assume they are eating pods.

I'll check out the options you suggested as well as the pod seller. I do add at night when I can. Unfortunately the live adult pods tend to be delivered in the afternoon while I'm at work and in Houston that means they are sitting in an oven until I get home so I try to get them in the tank as fast as possible. When I do this I use a baster to get them into the rock and sandbed but I imagine they go exploring and are eaten immediately.

Thanks again for helping me figure this out. I want to have a Mandarin more than any other item in the hobby so I am determined to figure this out. The challenge is not adding anything to the DT that would look out of place. Added a pic of where the tank is so it makes sense.

20180820_151343.jpg

Fishfishfishfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m exploring this same idea for different...

I did and it worked great actually. Check out the in tank refugium below made by CPR. I ordered the larger size that uses 16 suction cups instead of just the 4. Worth noting that I had a dedicated fuge light running when the tank light were off. Not sure how you would go about that with the fuge actually in the tank. Good luck!

https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/cpr...vxvatNNQ3x4hgTJbvLRFFrxjxt9_ZGXMaAnJEEALw_wcB

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 171 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back