In Tank skimmer suggestions

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved into second floor apartment . I have a 125 gallon aqueon tank that I would like to setup. One if i only fill it to 12 or 13 inches it calculates to 78 gallons. I am concerned about weight though Tank is on outside supporting wall of Building. What in tank skimmer can i use since hang ons Are Not going to work. Thanks for any advice You could offer.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am concerned about weight though Tank is on outside supporting wall of Building.

Would you be concerned with four 250lbs men sitting in chairs around a small poker table in your apartment?

Apartment buildings usually have a lot more reinforced concrete in its structure that a house....depending upon when it was built.

Quicker to build buildings infrastructure with concrete than with custom wood beam supports.

Talk to your Apartment's Maintenance Guy...

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 9012 all day, and twice on Sunday!
I am interested in these as well. Roger from Tunze USA had told me that end of March is the likely ETA in US. Let me know if you find them before.

Similar to the OP, I am also interested in-tank solutions for Skimmers, Reactors (the Tunze 3168 are available), and Algae Scrubbers (likely Santa Monica).

If possible, I want to limit my reef maintenance's complexity to the biology and husbandry, and not overflows, valves, pipes, return pumps etc.

However, so far my research has not yielded impressive results. Outside of this particular video (see link below) I haven't found many sumpless systems that looks impressive. Link below.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JFT, contuing on this conversion, if HOB skimmers are an option for you then you can consider the Deltec MCE series skimmers, which I am strongly considering for my own tank - 165 gallons. For your tank size perhaps a MCE501 or MCE400 will work. Here's the link to the 400. https://deltecdirectusa.com/product/deltec-mce400-hang-on-hob-protein-skimmer/

Apologies for the unsolicitated advice. This is a topic that I am also fiercely researching - primarily for reduction of complexity that a sump and plumbing are expected to bring.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JFT, contuing on this conversion, if HOB skimmers are an option for you then you can consider the Deltec MCE series skimmers, which I am strongly considering for my own tank - 165 gallons. For your tank size perhaps a MCE501 or MCE400 will work. Here's the link to the 400. https://deltecdirectusa.com/product/deltec-mce400-hang-on-hob-protein-skimmer/

Apologies for the unsolicitated advice. This is a topic that I am also fiercely researching - primarily for reduction of complexity that a sump and plumbing are expected to bring.
will do!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze comline skimmers are my favorite in tank option.

Yep they mount easily too with magnets.

My favorite external hang on skimmer.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the MCE601 myself. The MCE601 seems to be able to run with Ozone, and carbon, which titled the scale in its favor. Worst case, I will use a lower power secondary skimmer to run alongside, but I doubt that it will come to that.

My skimmer is still in transit. I will be able to provide my feedback after a month or so, and am attaching the documentation of these for your reference.

Attachments

• Deltec-MCE601-Hang-On-HOB-Protein-Skimmers-Manual (1).pdf
    477.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Deltec-MC500-Series-In-Sump-Protein-Skimmers-Manual.pdf
    864.1 KB · Views: 116

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back