In the even of a flood...

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken any measure to prepare for a flood? Done anything to your floor? Tile, drains, bed pan? I have not found much about this topic. Can you post picts or sketches of what you have done? Has anyone had a flood with spill measures in place? Did they work?

Thanks

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you tile your fish room with ceramic tile and pitched the floor slightly to a couple in-floor 2" drains, I would says that would be pretty safe.

With an Apex controller, an on the floor sensor can notify your Apex to turn off your return pump, skimmer or whatever. That would prevent most floods except a blown seam in a tank which is worst case scenario.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my stand I installed a plywood floor in it, set the 2x4's on that then caulked and epoxy sealed the whole thing so it holds 1.5" of water inside the stand before it would leak. I had an O-ring fail on a calcium reactor and test it out to about1" depth one time and it worked like a charm!

frame4.jpg

painted5.jpg

Ward9320

It's NOT a Nemo!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of finishing my basement and before I even started I knew I was going to put a large tank down there. Sooo when I busted up the concrete to lay plumbing down for the bathroom I put an extra drain in the floor right where my sump/refugium and water storage is (Ill put a pic up later if I remember). The tank is going on the opposite side of the wall that the sump/refugium is on. Perhaps if the tank ever goes the drain will help out but if that ever happens I am sure if the 150 gallon tanks ever gives way a drain will not help much anyways. I put the drain there mostly as a just in case the sump/refugium over flows or something goes wrong with one of my water storage containers.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you taken any measure to prepare for a flood? Done anything to your floor? Tile, drains, bed pan? I have not found much about this topic. Can you post picts or sketches of what you have done? Has anyone had a flood with spill measures in place? Did they work?

Thanks

IMHO the best thing to do is to adjust your system so it doesn't flood. Assuming you have a diaplay/external sump operating, one key adjustment I forgot about is to simulate a drain (overflow) failure. As the display rises the sump lowers. The idea is to make sure the sump runs dry before the display floods.

my .02

Last edited:

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO the best thing to do is to adjust your system so it doesn't flood. Assuming you have a diaplay/external sump operating, one key adjustment I forgot about is to simulate a drain (overflow) failure. As the display rises the sump lowers. The idea is to make sure the sump runs dry before the display floods.

my .02

+1 , only way I can have a flood is if tank itself leaks. But nobody can prepare for that.

ryanscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the ADL (advanced leak detection) for the apex and had it programmed to turn off all pumps when wet. Even had it shut off my RO unit.

OP
OP
AKTank

AKTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Lots of good stuff here. Thanks all. I like the epoxy idea. I'll use that. Tile and floor drains are something I'm considering. I'll post a pic with whatever I decide to do.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back