Avoid The Office GIF

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooohhh you're in trouble!

Hope it works out. They are pretty. A bit bleached/angry but seemed to have a good grip and willing to spring back.

I know nothing about nems really, but probably start the cipro right out of the gate... something tells me you already are planning to.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still alive, and I think improving. However, I am starting to question if it's really is an H. Magnifica. I guess time will tell, but when I get home tonight, I will take some more pictures of its foot and mouth and post them in the anemone forum to get an ID.
87615ED8-F1CD-42FD-8338-1B73D7B7F40F.jpeg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still alive, and I think improving. However, I am starting to question if it's really is an H. Magnifica. I guess time will tell, but when I get home tonight, I will take some more pictures of its foot and mouth and post them in the anemone forum to get an ID.
87615ED8-F1CD-42FD-8338-1B73D7B7F40F.jpeg
Does it have purple on the tips? It almost looks like a sebae in the photos

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is hard to tell in the photo because it is bleached, but in person, there is a faint purple dot on your tentacle.
I just went back to your original photos and saw the foot color. I don't think I have seen a sebae with that foot color. So, I'm probably wrong.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think not H. Magnifica?

H. Crispa?

I'm looking for an H. Malu... I don't know how to tell these things apart.
I don't know, probably mostly my paranoia. Its tentacles and foot mostly don't look like H.Mags that I've seen. But I'm no expert, and again it is still pretty ticked and shrunken.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went back to your original photos and saw the foot color. I don't think I have seen a sebae with that foot color. So, I'm probably wrong.
I thought Condy; they can have a darker red foot and purple tips.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN

Any thoughts?

I've been thinking about this, and since I know what they looked like at the shop... all three were climbing the glass away from the sand which would make me think it's not H. Malu. I really doubt its an LTA... but I continue to have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out all day today so I took a time lapse video while I was gone to see if the anemone was inflating and deflating throughout the day. When I got home it was very deflated. It’s mouth was mostly closed, but after watching the video I can see it’s mouth was gaping for a lot of the day.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the last one in the store. Not good, very bad.

63911A8F-A8C8-49C3-8F9C-EA79B644B9B8.jpeg
Poor anemone, I should have got them all. My “Mag” is doing well. I put it in the tank on Friday, it still hasn’t left it’s bowl, but looks very happy. Yet another reason I don’t think it’s a Magnifica, because everything I’ve ever read or seen says they want tons of light and will climb to the highest point in the tank. This little guy seems very happy on the sand.
388BD6FD-BBB5-43FA-B735-5F6A50C2304A.jpeg

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people want updates!

Meanwhile, I’ll just keep piggy backing on your thread.

This is another Petco nem, this time for my tank. It’s day 3 and finally appears to be attaching to the bottom. Fingers crossed it does alright. Sold as a Sebae, I’m reasonably sure it’s a H. Malu.

AEAC7B42-F77F-4D7A-B5FC-E7CB61E8BE1A.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, alright... jeez.

Lots of updates on this tank. Number 1, the mystery anemone is doing...okay? It finally moved out of the dish it was in and onto the rocks. It has not attempted to climb up, in fact, it is kind of hanging upside down on a lower rock which again makes me pretty positive it is not a Magnifica. The second best option seems to be a BTA. It could be, but I'm not 100% sold on that either. It is definitely not happy, but not miserable either, so time will tell.
08453122-FB42-4B87-95AD-530554817EFE.jpeg

Number 2, the tank is OVERRUN with nuisances, primarily GHA and Aiptasia. I have tried several things to get rid of the aiptasia, including Aiptasia-X, boiling water, and peppermint shrimp. The boiling water didn't work at all. Aiptasia-X, in my opinion, just spread them around more. I only half-heartedly tried peppermint shrimp, so I think I'd like to try them again before moving on to other livestock options. The fear with peppermints is that my wrasse will eat them.
5F569188-34EA-4D41-8B8A-E8FBC7ACA170.jpeg

The GHA is crazy. I've added a ton of CUC from reef cleaners, increased my light time in the refugium, cut back the white light on my tank lights, manually removed each water change, and monitored nutrients. Nothing seems to be working. I had a similar issue with my work tank that lasted a year and a half, and I tried anything and everything. Then one day, I went home for the weekend, and on Monday, when I came back in, it was magically gone. The only thing I changed was I set up an AWC system four months earlier. I don't know if that is the solution or just the tank maturing and was finally at a good spot.

@Beau_B Your anemone looks good. Since you refuse to make your own build thread keep using mine, as I want to know how your new tank is going.

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not that I suggest this, but I had pretty bad aiptasia on my 60 gallon and tried everything but only ever got to the point of maintaining a "low" level of them using peppermints and aiptasia x. Then my glass heater exploded while I was on vacation and no more aiptasia. Unfortunately lost everything else with it, but I haven't seen any in my new tank yet and some of the rock was transferred from the 60.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back