In wall build question

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the early planning stages and have been thinking about my future build. I want a very large, well 200-300+gal in wall. Been looking at some build threads and don't see the answer to my question. OK, basically stand holds tank then a 2x4 wall is built above to come down to the tank. Then 2x4 part and stand are finished with drywall, etc. What protects the upper wall from salt creep and water? I'm thinking the only way is to have a eurobrace along that part of the tank so there will be glass below the 2x4 upper wall. Seems like all the monster in wall build threads that I've seen the tanks look frameless, can't see how that would work.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when you frame it in you can use a sealent between the drywall and the 2x4. When I did this i sealed it, then used the metal corner piece for the drywall to make a perfect corner. sealed that as well and then painted with the waterproof epoxy paint where the tank was close to the wood. I never had any issues with my in wall

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterproof caulk and 5 layers of good quality latex bathroom paint. I tested this on a plywood sheet a couple years ago but making a little wooden tank out of plywood. Like 5 gallons. Held water, for weeks, which I presumed to mean it would prevent moisture issues

no way to prevent salt creep other than a proper cover or a eurobrace stopping splashes. But the waterproof paint makes it easy to wipe off without issue

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Plasti-Dip with a paint roller to create a splash zone above the tank.

I did this in my previous build as well and after 6 years of use, it held up perfectly with no sign of degradation or water penetration.

IMO, You don’t need special Sheetrock or waterproof board. You just need to coat it with something that will keep moisture from damaging the sheet rock. Even latex paint would probably be fine provided it is never submerged in water. Splashing once in awhile is fine and won’t rot out your sheet rock if it’s got a good coat on it.

I have pictures of how I did this in my build thread.

Last edited:

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been installed in my wall for nearly 5 years now. I put it in an existing wall, so I cut off the studs and installed the header that you see there. The bare drywall that was already part of the wall is what is on the far side of the tank.

It’s a little hard to see in the pic, but after nearly 5 years the worst is a few water stains on the back of the drywall... The drywall is still intact and in good shape and nothing has come through to the front.

If you were putting up new drywall from scratch I would probably use the moisture resistant greenboard that they use in bathrooms and painting the back of it would probably be a good idea too. But really I don’t think you have to worry about it too much.

CB876946-A3AE-4811-9F06-69D31F5004D5.jpeg

There are a lot of pics in my build thread about how I installed the tank in the wall.

Back