In wall plumbing

gunguy05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I preface this with I've been out for a while. Had a biocube 29 a few years back. Looking at a 180 gal tomorrow that I need to plan for whether I get it or another tank.

It will be upstairs and I would like a water change station downstairs in what is essentially a basement (house built on piers). I was trying to figure out what to run in the wall as far as tubes,pipe, wires etc from the upstairs display area to basement. I would like all this hidden behind the stand, so I want to at least cut it in now and get it roughed in place before I move the stand/tank.

I wast thinking 1 or 2 1" flex tubes for drain and salt water supply. Maybe a 16ga wire or 2 for switches..

Any suggestions or ideas for this?

Thanks!

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I preface this with I've been out for a while. Had a biocube 29 a few years back. Looking at a 180 gal tomorrow that I need to plan for whether I get it or another tank.

It will be upstairs and I would like a water change station downstairs in what is essentially a basement (house built on piers). I was trying to figure out what to run in the wall as far as tubes,pipe, wires etc from the upstairs display area to basement. I would like all this hidden behind the stand, so I want to at least cut it in now and get it roughed in place before I move the stand/tank.

I wast thinking 1 or 2 1" flex tubes for drain and salt water supply. Maybe a 16ga wire or 2 for switches..

Any suggestions or ideas for this?

Thanks!
If I could run something like this I totally would. Sure beats carrying 5G jugs up the stairs! A few random thoughts. First, I’m assuming you’ve already found a good place to suppler your 180. That’s a lot of weight. Second, the basement to main floor is totally doable with the right pump for head pressure. Finally, no experience with flex tubes but wondering if local code would permit this.

Good luck!

OP
OP
gunguy05

gunguy05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I have a little more time now. I went this past weekend and looked at a 180 gal acrylic. It was not properly supported in the middle and had a LOT or rock in it There was proabbly a 1 -1/2" bow in the middle of the tank. It made me nurveous just looking at it.

Later on we went to the LFS and I saw multiple starfire tanks. .MAN. these things are clear. I think I now have the bug for either a 150 or 180 starfire if I can find a descent used one. There was a great looking SCA150 near me, but it just sold.

Oh well. off to look some more. I definetely am going to go this route. I want to plan for water changes as I feel like this is one of the most difficults tasks being on the 2nd floor. As far as code.. meh.. don't know about that.. I'm more concerned about the floor support (which is on my list of things to look at) . Just need to bust open the basement ceiling and look at that and the area i'm going to run the pipe into for the water hookups.

If I could run something like this I totally would. Sure beats carrying 5G jugs up the stairs! A few random thoughts. First, I’m assuming you’ve already found a good place to suppler your 180. That’s a lot of weight. Second, the basement to main floor is totally doable with the right pump for head pressure. Finally, no experience with flex tubes but wondering if local code would permit this.

Good luck!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you check that you don't need to support you upper floor, look into having your sump downstairs with a 'sump room' and read all the threads on here with basement sumps

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back